This Limited-Edition Bike is Made Out of 300 Nespresso Pods

john61ct

1 TW
https://www.core77.com/posts/89863/This-Limited-Edition-Bike-is-Made-Out-of-300-Nespresso-Pods

MadRhino said:
Read the comments at the bottom of this news page. They are spot on.

Yup. A LOT of recycling is just "feel good" baloney. My wife cold brews her coffee. I do the same with my green tea. When I'm lazy, I use tea bags, but try to use loose leaf tea because it is generally better quality. Like the guy said in the first comment post, "Reduce, reuse, recycle."

That said, if you have a decent collection scheme, aluminum is one of the materials that tends to be worthwhile to recycle. This is primarily because refining aluminum from raw ore is very energy intensive compared to melting down previously refined aluminum.
According to Wikipedia, about half of all products that use aluminum are made from recycled aluminum.

Nobody needs to buy coffee in one tablespoon format, packed in alu pods. This generation is making garbage at an amazingly destructive rate. Man will be the only species to disappear drown in its own sh*t.

wturber said:
When I'm lazy, I use tea bags, but try to use loose leaf tea because it is generally better quality.

The same goes double for coffee. I suppose tea loses flavor over time, but roasted coffee goes fast. Fresh for a couple days, good enough for maybe a week, and after two weeks it's a matter of what you'll put up with. Grinding speeds that up a lot, because of course there's a lot more surface area. If you're going to roast coffee, grind it, package it and send it out to sit on shelves ... there's really no point in starting with something special. Just process out the caffeine and sell it in pill form, much more ecological.

I will tell you how I drink coffee, because that is my drug, with tobacco, and I consume a lot of both.

I drink espresso, from daily roasted beans, ground just before its made in a genuine quarter ton, one hundred years old espresso machine. That is because I take them on the terrace at the local coffee roast shop, most of the time. Real espresso cup, real spoon, that real people serve and wash. It is always followed with a freshly pressed lemonade cut half water and ice.

I'm close behind. I roast them myself, maybe a week's worth at a time. I doubt my espresso machine is 1/4 ton, but it is too heavy and large for me to lift, and maybe 30 years old, with the lever/piston groups that were basically invented by Achille Gaggia in 1947 but have since been displaced by electric pump groups. And ceramic cups, but don't require a spoon.

donn said:
I'm close behind. I roast them myself, maybe a week's worth at a time. I doubt my espresso machine is 1/4 ton, but it is too heavy and large for me to lift, and maybe 30 years old, with the lever/piston groups that were basically invented by Achille Gaggia in 1947 but have since been displaced by electric pump groups. And ceramic cups, but don't require a spoon.

Ah! I guess we are many coffee addicts on ES. :wink:
At home, where I take he first and the last of the day, and at countyside in the winter, I use a stove top Bialetti mini gold. They are doing real good.

MadRhino said:
stove top Bialetti mini gold.

I'm glad you wrote "stove top" - as I don't know this model I thought to look it up, and now I'm looking at a Bialetti "mini express" - an aluminum capsule machine!

I like the stove top Bialettis, really quite a good way to go for someone who doesn't care to be encumbered with some big appliance. The pour-over method, french press, etc. also respectable, but the Bialetti type stove top is the thing for those who appreciate a more concentrated brew.

I may have to try these for my in-bottle cold-brewing of my green tea. Not as impressive as car sized espresso machines, but OK for me. :lol:

https://www.amazon.com/HospitaliTEA-Silicone-Infusers-Environmentally-Perfectly/dp/B07VP72BPG/ref=sr_1_38?crid=9B0XXRD8J6WZ&keywords=tea+infuser&qid=1566408373&s=gateway&smid=A3UJXEDV68JLON&sprefix=tea%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-38

wturber said:
I may have to try these for my in-bottle cold-brewing of my green tea. Not as impressive as car sized espresso machines, but OK for me. :lol:

https://www.amazon.com/HospitaliTEA-Silicone-Infusers-Environmentally-Perfectly/dp/B07VP72BPG/ref=sr_1_38?crid=9B0XXRD8J6WZ&keywords=tea+infuser&qid=1566408373&s=gateway&smid=A3UJXEDV68JLON&sprefix=tea%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-38

Ouff!
For a sec, I believed I was on Tampax website. :mrgreen:

Are you really getting that old :lol:

MadRhino said:
wturber said:

Ouff!
For a sec, I believed I was on Tampax website. :mrgreen:

Well, just to be manly, I've delayed the purchase and am using a stainless steel ball.

tea-ball-tea-infuser.jpg

Back