What are some reliable cell sellers?

hurryupnbuy

10 mW
I'm based in NY and hoping to find some sellers outside of Aliexpress. My friends and I are all building a bike so looking to buy a decent quantity. So far, all the promising leads do not ship to the States. Any help would be appreciated.

There's a bunch of threads that may help, some are listed in these searches:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=buy+cell*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=buy+batt*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=buy+18650*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

There's others not found in those you can find either by other searches or by hand. :)

For clarification on my own post, I should add...

Ideally, I'd like to buy a decent quantity of batteries for 3 bikes (building with friends).

One of them plan on building a 1500w motor bike with long range.
The other is eyeing a 5000w kit from Aliexpress.
I've already purchased the QS205 V3 50H 3t motor with the KLS7230S controller. I'd like the most Ah possible at 72v.

Realizing 2 of the bikes require higher discharge than the other, I realize it's difficult for us to get the same cells, right? If that's the case, we may end up getting 100 of one cell, 200 of another. Would love recommendations and where we can possibly look to buy these cells. Aliexpress would be a last resort (maybe on Singles Day) but even more a bit higher cost, hoping we can find reliable ones elsewhere.

Focus on choosing the specific known-good cells you want first, ignoring price, build a shortlist.

Then start asking about, looking for trustworthy vendors suitable for your shipping location.

Just because cells are able to withstand higher C-rate discharging in reality (power density, as proven by published tests by trusted members) does not make them less suitable for lower rates - they'll just last longer, other care factors being equal.

IOW I'd get everyone in your group the same cells, divvy up the total cost according to the cells actually used, always get some spares.

The best battery cells are not offered for sale at.all.
Ones used in hybrid cars and electric cars will never be available to public.
With one exception. smashed,written off by insurance hybrids offered by junk yards.
I ride on.CHevy Volt cels. and Nissan Leaf cells.
Those cells had been thoroughly checked, tested before going to packs manufacture.

Unit Pack Power
OSN Power
Home Depot/Lowes batteries used in mowers/trimmers/chainsaws/drill packs - they do go on sale.

miro13car said:
The best battery cells are not offered for sale at.all.
Ones used in hybrid cars and electric cars will never be available to public.
With one exception. smashed,written off by insurance hybrids offered by junk yards.
I ride on.CHevy Volt cels. and Nissan Leaf cells.
Those cells had been thoroughly checked, tested before going to packs manufacture.

+1

Automotive cells have better quality control than anything sold into the e-bike market. They're usually capable of much higher discharge rates per Ah than what we are accustomed to. If you can live with the weight, used car cells are often a better bet than brand new e-bike batteries.

miro13car said:
As far as I know LG Chem cells used in most of hybrids
are NOT available for sale especialy to DIY crowd.

That's what I thought too.

Also, I've found some cell providers through some further research on ES so my questions have been answered.

hurryupnbuy said:
That's what I thought too.

Also, I've found some cell providers through some further research on ES so my questions have been answered.
So please pay it forward and summarize your findings, drop links to posts you found authoritative. . .

john61ct said:
So please pay it forward and summarize your findings, drop links to posts you found authoritative. . .

Amberwolf set me off on a rabbit hole once I realized I was searching the wrong terms. Through his help, I started a list of sellers, and continued to search through Google as well. With all the stores, I cross-checked to see what was said about them again at ES. The final list of shops I'm considering are -

liionwholesale
imrbatteries
fasttech

Again, my search was mainly for NA-based sellers so of course I don't want to overpay but willing to pay the premium for faster shipping and customer service. I hope now that I've narrowed it down, my dreams won't be shattered by their shortcomings. At least from what I could tell, links were shared from the sellers above but negative reviews were either minimal or non-existent.

Now onto figuring out the cells to buy! It never ends...

Excellent, thanks

example site search using google:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Arcgroups.com+liionwholesale

No affiliation with any of them, but they are trustworthy.

My preferred:
Liionwholesale.com
Imrbatteries.com
Illumn.com

Some other good vendors
18650.uk
18650batterystore.com
akkuteile.de
batterybro.com
ecoluxshopdirect.co.uk
fogstar.co.uk
orbtronic.com
rtdvapor.com

From what I've found from there, it seems 18650batteryshop and imrbatteries offer the most affordable prices. 18650batteryshop apparently does price matching too.

Back