Adjusting battery location using Wolf Tooth B-Rad

XyloSesame

100 µW
Anyone have experience with a battery mounted using B-Rad sliding mounting bases? I've seen it mentioned and linked, but haven't found any real-world examples or experiences.

I'm in the process of building out a Cannondale and my bottle cage mounts don't readily accommodate the Shark pack. I though about drilling the Shark mounting base as I have seen done in the forum, but instead I snagged a B-Rad to adjust the mounting position higher on my downtube. It's a clean bolt-on install, but the lack of surface area from the battery mount to the downtube worries me a bit; will this be an issue down the road?

That's more weight than those mounts were designed for, so all the side to side wiggling during pedalling, etc., is going to eventually stress the mounts if there is no other support between the base and the downtube.

However, you could add a plate between the two, if it's curve matches the tube's it'll be even better. You could do that with a 3D printer, or you can do it with Friendly Plastic or similar. Even hard-ish rubber pads might help, or closed-cell foam.

Yeah, the shear stress is definitely what concerns me. The mount is solid, but side-to-side wiggle over time seems like it will take a toll on the mount, bolts, or both. I'd rather lose the battery than bork my frame, but avoiding any damage at all would be ... nice.

I think I'll fall back to drilling an appropriately spaced hole in the Shark mounting bracket as illustrated in many other builds. The Shark bracket comes with formed rubber fixing gaskets so it is fairly snug when installed as designed; these won't be of use in a custom install, so I'll have to Frankenstein some other shock absorption between mount and downtube.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hi,

I had the exact same problem. I found those and I print it on a 3d printer. The battery is very stable now.
Check it out.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3593455

lcarron said:
Hi,

I had the exact same problem. I found those and I print it on a 3d printer. The battery is very stable now.
Check it out.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3593455

When positioning the battery this weekend, I realized I only needed to extend the existing channel to accommodate an additional 4-5mm; after drilling and using low-profile button head screws, I was able to use the spacers that came with the pack. Safe and snug.

Another thing you can do to reinforce the mount system is use a Velcro wrap or "toe strap" to anchor the battery. I do this with a Haibike even though the battery mounting system seems functionally adequate.

Back