Buying a stealth bomber from amazon

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
JohnLewis222   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 10
Joined: Oct 03 2019 7:09pm

Should I buy ebike online from China?? Stealth Bomber from Amazon??

Post by JohnLewis222 » Nov 06 2019 9:42pm

Alibaba an.online store in China sells cheaper ebikes,should I do it???? Are they dependable ??

Balmorhea   100 W

100 W
Posts: 224
Joined: Oct 01 2019 8:30pm

Re: Buying ebike online from China??

Post by Balmorhea » Nov 06 2019 10:29pm

Is that a real question? Alibaba is the definition of "you pays your money and you takes your chances".

I'd say the odds favor the house.

flat tire   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1729
Joined: Feb 26 2014 12:20am

Re: Buying ebike online from China??

Post by flat tire » Nov 07 2019 12:29am

Unless you know what you're doing and have moderate to low expectations alibaba is not the place to buy any kind of ebike especially one you want to be reliable.

User avatar
neptronix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 14139
Joined: Jun 15 2010 5:56pm
Location: California refugee living in Utah, USA
Contact:

Re: Buying ebike online from China??

Post by neptronix » Nov 07 2019 12:55am

I guess the question should be.. how hard of a lesson do you wanna learn? :lol:

I've been to interbike where these characters set up their booths.. many of their demo bikes weren't even fully functional, lol. You'll be shocked at the price of shipping it back, because the west still subsidizes Chinese shipping. Sending it back for a refund would be a princely sum. They know that, and build their products accordingly.

This is a perfect place to learn how to build something you'd be proud of and love. Take the opportunity to pick the minds of the best and brightest.. :thumb:
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: 20" eZee on a Cannondale Semi Recumbent.
Whipper-snapper: ? on a lightweight BikeE Semi Recumbent

JohnLewis222   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 10
Joined: Oct 03 2019 7:09pm

Re: Buying ebike online from China??

Post by JohnLewis222 » Nov 07 2019 8:05pm

Ali express is better to buy from, thanks just doing research

User avatar
amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 28651
Joined: Aug 17 2009 6:43am
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group
Contact:

Re: Buying ebike online from China??

Post by amberwolf » Nov 07 2019 10:43pm

Ali express is the same as alibaba. You might get what you order. You might get something different. You might get nothing. If you do get something, it might even work.

Your money to throw away if it comes to that, I suppose.

I wish you luck with whatever your choice is. ;)

User avatar
neptronix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 14139
Joined: Jun 15 2010 5:56pm
Location: California refugee living in Utah, USA
Contact:

Re: Buying ebike online from China??

Post by neptronix » Nov 08 2019 12:47am

JohnLewis222 wrote:
Nov 07 2019 8:05pm
Ali express is better to buy from, thanks just doing research
In terms of making a deal, yes.
In terms of quality merchandise, no. They can sell more junk rapidly, so they do. Really good vendors rarely set up shop on there.
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: 20" eZee on a Cannondale Semi Recumbent.
Whipper-snapper: ? on a lightweight BikeE Semi Recumbent

JohnLewis222   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 10
Joined: Oct 03 2019 7:09pm

Re: Buying ebike online from China??

Post by JohnLewis222 » Nov 08 2019 9:37pm

amberwolf wrote:
Nov 07 2019 10:43pm
Ali express is the same as alibaba. You might get what you order. You might get something different. You might get nothing. If you do get something, it might even work.

Your money to throw away if it comes to that, I suppose.

I wish you luck with whatever your choice is. ;)

JohnLewis222   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 10
Joined: Oct 03 2019 7:09pm

Re: Buying ebike online from China??

Post by JohnLewis222 » Nov 08 2019 9:39pm

Thanks for ur help
Last edited by JohnLewis222 on Nov 09 2019 5:23am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnLewis222   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 10
Joined: Oct 03 2019 7:09pm

Re: Buying ebike online from China??

Post by JohnLewis222 » Nov 08 2019 9:41pm

Want ro buy a stealth bomber for good price from China OE any good company, want to be smart, need advice

Balmorhea   100 W

100 W
Posts: 224
Joined: Oct 01 2019 8:30pm

Re: Buying ebike online from China??

Post by Balmorhea » Nov 08 2019 11:18pm

JohnLewis222 wrote:
Nov 08 2019 9:41pm
Want ro buy a stealth bomber for good price from China OE any good company, want to be smart, need advice
Maybe consider buying it from Stealth, if you want to do business with someone whose reputation is on the line?

If you buy a knockoff, expect knockoff quality. If you don't like that math, consider building it yourself. There's lots of help available here if you go that way.

User avatar
amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 28651
Joined: Aug 17 2009 6:43am
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group
Contact:

Re: Buying ebike online from China??

Post by amberwolf » Nov 08 2019 11:56pm

JohnLewis222 wrote:
Nov 08 2019 9:41pm
Want ro buy a stealth bomber for good price from China OE any good company, want to be smart, need advice
If you want a Stealth Bomber (new), you have to get it from Stealthbikes. They're based in Australia, not China, though they do have authorized dealers on other continents.


If you want a Chinese knockoff of something, I'm sure you can get one, but I have no way of knowing which, if any, of the idea and name thieves you'd be dealing with would be "good" companies.

qwerkus   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 431
Joined: Jul 22 2017 4:00am

Re: Buying ebike online from China??

Post by qwerkus » Nov 09 2019 3:55am

Well I did it, and it wasn't so bad. You have to know exactly what you hare getting yourself in. Get as many infos as possible beforehand, with pictures. What also helps is finding the manufacturers of a model sold in EU / US. Usually it means they have to comply with a minimum of safety controls.

In my case I was basically looking for a specific kind of frame; knowing that nearly all frames are made in china / tw, I looked for the model I needed and got the entire bike. Needless to say that half the stuff needs to be upgraded / changed (especially brakes) but the overall bike quality isn't bad, and the motor which I planned to changed worked surprisingly well.

This is the bike: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2721/ ... 1557708277

SlowCo   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1398
Joined: Jan 05 2015 5:43pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Buying ebike online from China??

Post by SlowCo » Nov 09 2019 5:10am

JohnLewis222 wrote:
Nov 08 2019 9:39pm
Is there any Chinese company you would buy a good ebike from???? Not going to throw my money away trust me
EM3EV has a good reputation on E-S. Buy their EEB frame and components and assemble your own bike. That way you know what you're riding and be able to repair it when needed. EM3EV will be helpful with after sales support and there is enough help from this forum if you start your own build thread of the bike on E-S here.

https://em3ev.com/shop/eeb-full-suspension-ebike-frame/

https://em3ev.com/shop/eeb-full-suspens ... e-package/

JohnLewis222   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 10
Joined: Oct 03 2019 7:09pm

Should I buy a stealth bomber from Amazon??

Post by JohnLewis222 » Nov 09 2019 6:23am

Amazon ans eBay has good prices, what do u think????

SlowCo   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1398
Joined: Jan 05 2015 5:43pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Should I buy a stealth bomber from Amazon??

Post by SlowCo » Nov 09 2019 8:20am

Do you have a link to the offer on a Stealth Bomber?

2old   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1128
Joined: Jul 19 2014 3:20pm
Location: Socal

Re: Buying ebike online from China??

Post by 2old » Nov 09 2019 9:50am

November 11 is Alibaba's "Partnership Day" (big sale). They sold $30 billion worth of goods last year vs US $7 billion on Cyber Monday. Haven't ever purchased anything on 11/11 yet, but I'll be looking. Would like a Bafang Ultra motor in a frameset.

JohnLewis222   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 10
Joined: Oct 03 2019 7:09pm

Re: Should I buy a stealth bomber from Amazon??

Post by JohnLewis222 » Nov 09 2019 7:54pm

Yes with good prices, seller in usa

SlowCo   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1398
Joined: Jan 05 2015 5:43pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Should I buy a stealth bomber from Amazon??

Post by SlowCo » Nov 09 2019 8:12pm

JohnLewis222 wrote:
Nov 09 2019 7:54pm
Yes with good prices, seller in usa
How smart of you not to post the link here then. It must be a fantastic offer if you're not willing to share so we can have a look and see. If I were you I would buy at least two...

BTW I have a piece of string, could you tell me how long it is?

JohnLewis222   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 10
Joined: Oct 03 2019 7:09pm

Buying a stealth bomber from amazon

Post by JohnLewis222 » Nov 22 2019 8:33am

What do you guys think of buying a stealth bomber from amazon?? Is the quality good? Tje prices look good

HK12K   100 W

100 W
Posts: 253
Joined: Jul 24 2019 12:49pm

Re: Buying a stealth bomber from amazon

Post by HK12K » Nov 22 2019 9:57am

You can't buy a Stealth Bomber from Amazon or Alibaba. You can however buy knock offs that look similar, but there are many substantial differences.

The knock offs don't have the vbox transmission, they usually use crap wheels, crap controllers, crap displays, crap brakes, crap mystery battery packs, the bottom brackets are in the rear swingarm half of the time... I could probably go on.

That's not to say that people don't buy them and like them. They do, but a large number of them suffer major component failures rather quickly. The displays and controllers in particular are almost guaranteed to go up in smoke within the first 2 years, for example.

Personally, I wouldn't buy either. The Stealth bikes are nice but their asking prices are egregious, and the Aliexpress EEB's price is right but that's about all.

Tommm   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 703
Joined: Apr 03 2018 2:32am

Re: Buying a stealth bomber from amazon

Post by Tommm » Nov 22 2019 2:28pm

JohnLewis222 wrote:
Nov 22 2019 8:33am
What do you guys think of buying a stealth bomber from amazon?? Is the quality good? Tje prices look good
Where are you based?
If in europe this is a reputable seller.
https://www.electroncycles.co.uk/produc ... ory/bikes/
All in all forget shopping cross continent, you will get wrecked by shipping and taxes.

HK12K   100 W

100 W
Posts: 253
Joined: Jul 24 2019 12:49pm

Re: Buying a stealth bomber from amazon

Post by HK12K » Nov 22 2019 2:59pm

Tommm wrote:
Nov 22 2019 2:28pm
JohnLewis222 wrote:
Nov 22 2019 8:33am
What do you guys think of buying a stealth bomber from amazon?? Is the quality good? Tje prices look good
Where are you based?
If in europe this is a reputable seller.
https://www.electroncycles.co.uk/produc ... ory/bikes/
All in all forget shopping cross continent, you will get wrecked by shipping and taxes.
I wonder if they realize that the display shown with the first bike offered on their site is throwing an error code?

Also wonder, are Rockrshox good? :wink:

Tommm   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 703
Joined: Apr 03 2018 2:32am

Re: Buying a stealth bomber from amazon

Post by Tommm » Nov 22 2019 4:14pm

HK12K wrote:
Nov 22 2019 2:59pm
Tommm wrote:
Nov 22 2019 2:28pm
JohnLewis222 wrote:
Nov 22 2019 8:33am
What do you guys think of buying a stealth bomber from amazon?? Is the quality good? Tje prices look good
Where are you based?
If in europe this is a reputable seller.
https://www.electroncycles.co.uk/produc ... ory/bikes/
All in all forget shopping cross continent, you will get wrecked by shipping and taxes.
I wonder if they realize that the display shown with the first bike offered on their site is throwing an error code?

Also wonder, are Rockrshox good? :wink:
They are ok. Error codes happen

HK12K   100 W

100 W
Posts: 253
Joined: Jul 24 2019 12:49pm

Re: Buying a stealth bomber from amazon

Post by HK12K » Nov 22 2019 6:38pm

Tommm wrote:
Nov 22 2019 4:14pm
HK12K wrote:
Nov 22 2019 2:59pm
Tommm wrote:
Nov 22 2019 2:28pm
JohnLewis222 wrote:
Nov 22 2019 8:33am
What do you guys think of buying a stealth bomber from amazon?? Is the quality good? Tje prices look good
Where are you based?
If in europe this is a reputable seller.
https://www.electroncycles.co.uk/produc ... ory/bikes/
All in all forget shopping cross continent, you will get wrecked by shipping and taxes.
I wonder if they realize that the display shown with the first bike offered on their site is throwing an error code?

Also wonder, are Rockrshox good? :wink:
They are ok. Error codes happen
Sure they do, but it doesn't exactly build confidence when they're contained in the sales literature for a multi-thousand-dollar product. I can appreciate that they're a legit retailer who isn't going to rip anyone off outright though, so thanks for the heads up on them for anyone in the area who is interested. I was mostly just poking fun.

They're not alone. Earlier I watched a release video for a recumbent that's pushing 10 grand and their video proudly proclaimed "Comming Soon".

Post Reply