Two questions on EVG 24v

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
NewbieUser   10 µW

10 µW

Two questions on EVG 24v

Post by NewbieUser » Nov 24 2019 8:47am

Hi all -

I'm in Georgia, USA about an hour North of Atlanta. I have a farm, with rolling hills (that's one step steeper than "gently rolling")

I have a farm, and am interested in getting an e-bike for two reasons;
(1) to easily check the fenceline without having to mess with a larger vehicle through our farm gates while trying to keep the livestock contained
(2) on very rare occasion, to do a quick check at night, if the livestock guardian dog signals danger (e.g., go check for coyotes or whatever)

I figure an ebike is ideal for me because (a) I don't have to mess with a combustion engine to get it started, and (b) I'll be better able to hear what is going on around me (which direction the barking is coming from) without having to shut off an engine

I may have the opportunity to buy an EVG 24v next week. No batteries or charger, but I see that folks tend to upgrade to LiPo/LIon anyway so that may not be a big deal.

My real questions are

1. What kind of speed should I expect from the 24v model for a 200lb rider, if 100% relying on the engine and not pedaling, especially given the rolling hills

2. it's a farm, sometimes it is muddy, slippery leaves, etc... without heavy modification, is there a way to add a hub motor to the front as well, to give it two wheel drive? If so, does that halve the battery life (which is fine) or halve the speed (which isn't appealing)?

Thank you in advance for reading and your replies!

ZeroEm   100 W

100 W

Re: Two questions on EVG 24v

Post by ZeroEm » Nov 24 2019 9:45am

That is a great use for an e-bike, they are ready to go flip a switch. 2x2 would give you great traction. You would need to spend time thinking if you really needed fwd, not to put you off the idea. it doubles the cost, complexity and room needed to mount every thing. With that said, I would add a light weight geared hub to the front and use only as needed for hills or traction. I would work out how much speed you really need to find a voltage that would work for you. 36-48 or even 52 volts. If you have a big farm then bigger battery and more speed. Two motors does not mean twice the battery. on a road at speed two motors only pulls few more watts than one. Its the getting up to speed and hills that will need the amps. Riding a fence row for inspection should be low powered. really depends how you ride. I started out wanting AWD but found out one motor is enough for me.
2019 Performer E-Trike 9w/km
2013 Nissan Leaf S 8 bars 328.306w/KM

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Nov 24 2019 10:05am

The one thing about an EVG is that the hub motor on it is much louder than most. However, this is loudest when running top speed, at about 15-20 mph. When running more like 5 mph, not so loud.

But honestly, don't get the EVG unless you are looking at a hundred bucks or less. Nice frame to put a modern rear hub motor on, YES! But what I really mean is, pay a hundo for the nice frame, no more.

Or just put a rear hub kit on a reasonable priced mountain bike, for a silent ride that goes close to 30 mph, (48v 1000w kit) You are talking about a kit anyway, so get one, and put it on the EVG, or some other bike if the EVG is not dirt cheap.

Voltron   10 MW

10 MW

Post by Voltron » Nov 24 2019 11:53am

Hi! Yes, like Dogman wrote, if it's cheap enough, get it and just scrap all the electronics. The frame is a great indestructible mule with a battery bay you can chuck lots of different shaped batteries into, and with modern waterproof electronics, you can get rid of the body panels that keep you from using a normal sized crank... The stock crank is so tiny it's ridiculous for actual pedaling. Plus they're really loud! It might be worth saving the body covers if you go serious mudding for easy spray off.
IMG_20190222_122105.jpg
IMG_20190222_122105.jpg (115.08 KiB) Viewed 481 times
Here's one of mine, that I added a rear disc brake mount to, large carbon crank for high speed pedaling (saved a quarter pound on my 70lb bike lol), and since the picture has had the test battery put in the stock grey battery case.
Last edited by Voltron on Nov 24 2019 12:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voltron   10 MW

10 MW

Post by Voltron » Nov 24 2019 12:01pm

Re second motor, the easiest way is usually whole second controller and throttle, tied to the same battery if the amp rating is high enough so it doesn't melt down, or two separate batteries. Usually people go with a geared motor with a clutch in it, so it's freewheeling while not powered. Watch it for busting your fork tips off... Torque arms get pretty important on the front.

About price, a friend of mine found that red one in a dumpster... Price was right!

Fyi, I used to live in Rising Fawn, up on Lookout Mtn.

Voltron   10 MW

10 MW

Post by Voltron » Nov 24 2019 12:09pm

Just throwing this out there, you'll realise soon an ebike is the best thing ever for what you want to do 😉, so if not totally strapped for cash try a test ride on a fat tire ebike... the 26 by 4 inch type. The big soft tires aired way down are very kind to muddy surfaces, and dont leave deep ruts like regular width wheels.

Some even like the 20x4 inch wheel... Still plenty of contact patch, just not as good across deep holes.