Undervolting 60v wheel with 36v ???

dubinaz225

10 µW
I have a rear wheel that I salvaged off of an ebike .. it's a 22.5" and it's marked 60v 450w . I have a 36v 12ah 18650 battery pack.. I dont have a controller. can I buy a 36v controller and use it on the 60v wheel? Will it have enough volts to work properly.. I can't afford a different battery. Any input would be appreciated .

dubinaz225 said:
I have a rear wheel that I salvaged off of an ebike .. it's a 22.5" and it's marked 60v 450w . I have a 36v 12ah 18650 battery pack.. I dont have a controller. can I buy a 36v controller and use it on the 60v wheel? Will it have enough volts to work properly.. I can't afford a different battery. Any input would be appreciated .

Any more information that you can share about the motor? Is it brushed or brushless, what kind of wiring does it have, etc.? In general, the motor will run with a compatible controller, but at about half the speed as it would at 60V,

dubinaz225 said:
It's a brushless with 5 wire hall sensor

Should work, if you don't mind the speed. You may want to plan for a future upgrade by buying a controller that's rated 36V/48V. That way you can upgrade to 48V or 52V in the future.

if your scrounging for used controllers, just make sure the controller is for 18650 and not sla batteries, the LVC of the controller should be at about 30?volts, let the bms do the lvc for your pack. I only mention this because if the controller you get for 36v is a 48v sla it wont work.
I scrounged a 60v 35amp sla controller hooked it to a 48v 18650 battery. it kind of worked for a km and shut off. the lvc of the controller was 52v, a fresh battery is 54.6v. so twist throttle, voltage sags below 52v and controller shuts off

Back