Rear hub wheel balance issue.

ebikeruss

1 mW
Hi, this is my first post. I have a generic 48v 1000w rear hub motor that i have logged over 3000kms. on. I just did a complete maintenance on my bike including repacking all bearings including bottom bracket, head set, front wheel etc. I put new tires on the front and rear hub motor, and trued both wheels. I have the bike upside down and tested the motor (No Load) with out the tire and tube and it ran fine all the way to full throttle with minimal vibration. I then installed the tube and tire and get strong vibration at about 15% throttle to uncontrollable wild violent shaking anywhere near full throttle. I understand that it is due to the wheel being out of balance with the tire and tube, but I don't know how to balance it. Any help on this subject would be really appreciated.

if your bikes upside down you can tape little weights (pennies, dimes, nickels, neodymium magnets) to the rim one at a time to find the balance and the weight needed.

1. Don't ride the bike upside down.
2. How's it ride?
3. Rotate the tire 180 degrees on the rim and see if it smooths out

2 things,
I would go ride the bike before spending too much time on the balancing issue. See if there's really that much call for attention.

Many times there is a yellow dot of some sort on new tires. That spot is for balancing purposes, and should be lined up on the valve stem. Many times there will be no need for balancing a tire if that practice is followed.

Thanks for replying.The bike is upside down in my living room. Saw a Youtube video where the guy uses gravity on a truing stand to find when he has added enough weight (regular bicycle). Then he used a scale and put lead tape from a golf store used to balance clubs, on the inside of the rim under the rim tape. I started taping dimes to the rim between the spokes opposite to the valve stem until the vibration minimizes. Seems to be working.

First, I'd try letting out the air, and re inflating the tire. You might have the tube stuffed in there funny, or the tire not sitting on the bead right.

If there is slime in the tube, then it will do that till you ride it far enough to have the slime spread out better in the tube.

And lastly, bear in mind that it may shake some because the motor itself is not perfectly balanced, but you rarely run that much rpm in actual riding, and don't really feel it. But it shows when there wheel is off the ground a lot more, and your no load top rpm is higher.

If its so bad you feel it while riding, bet the tire is lumpy.

About tire balancing.
Generally, bicycle tires don’t require wheel balancing when they are properly seated on the rim and inflated within manufacturers spec. Yet some defects might happen. If the tire is still shaking after it is straight and the bead is seated equal all around, the tire must be inspected inside for manufacturing defect. Tubes are very unlikely to be responsible for unbalance, unless twisted.

Motorcycle tires need balancing.

Spoke wheel balancing weights:
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Angled-Spoke-Wheel-Weight/dp/B0041CG0P2

Back