"BadPowerBikes" LOL: Hate Site or Consumers Fighting Back?

formula101

1 kW
A pretty thorough critique of radpowerbikes. Apparently lots of customers are receiving shoddy product and are injuring themselves ("rad tattoos") likely because of the combination of high torque and low rider skill. It's making me rethink my decision to buy a lower cost hub motor e-bike.

Are we that far away from e-bikes being a safe, reliable form of transportation?

https://badpowerbikes.com

a glance thru the site shows most of what is there appears relevant...but they have a section about chinese wages and hubmotor factories, which is irrelevant to the rest of the page, or else conflicts with talking about other ebikes being better, since most of their motors are also built in the same places. similarly the part about their ebikes being restickered chinese bikes; the same is true of enough other "brands" that i don't see the relevance.

while i've never owned one, i don't recall any particular problems on the radbikes i've worked with for cvin while helping her customize them and whatnot. other than that radbikes had no way to change any settings in the controllers, even though they have a programming plug, and instead she had to get a whole new controller, display, and wiring harness (because connectors were different on the new controller). don't remember which radbike that was, was a few years ago; newer ones might be reprogrammable these days.

the only issue i myself had with the company (indeed my only direct contact) is documented here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=97849

regarding high torque...none of the rad bikes i've encoutnered have anything near what i would call high torque. they're pretty much average geared hubmotors for their power levels. wouldn't say that has anything to do with safety...and if it does, it doesnt' have anything to do with the bike seller or manufacturer, that is up to the rider to learn how to use and react to.

same thing with rider skill--that's entirely up to the rider to learn. has nothing to do with the bike they're riding.

so if their lack of skill or their inability to deal with what is a moderate-power system at best is going to change your mind on which bike to buy.... then i'm confused.

something to remember about almost any positive or negative review of something is that only a very very tiny percentage (probably less than a thousandth) of those with relevant experiences ever say a word about them good or bad. almost everyone with an experience holds it to themselves, especially if it's a good one--so it's hard to judge how good or bad anywhere is based on taht sort of thing. but at least a collection of potential problems lets anyone checking a place or item out see what *could* go wrong, as they may not even have thought of those things before. ;)

as far as safety of ebiking as transportation goes...that is much more up to the end user--the actual places ridden and riding style and speeds and whatnot have a lot more to do with safety than what is being ridden. ;)

it's always possible to get bad parts or problematic frames or whatever, from anyone--been enough recalls from major "trusted" brands of regular bicycles for pretty severe safety problems (forks that break off, etc) over the decades.

cheaper...is usually cheaper. more expensive doesn't necessarly mean better quality.... so part of that is buyer beware, and check sites like the one this thread is about, and sites like es which have plenty of reviews and posts about all sorts of systems and problems, and decide for themselves what will meet their needs, budget, conditions, etc.

formula101 said:
A pretty thorough critique of radpowerbikes. Apparently lots of customers are receiving shoddy product and are injuring themselves ("rad tattoos") likely because of the combination of high torque and low rider skill. It's making me rethink my decision to buy a lower cost hub motor e-bike.

Are we that far away from e-bikes being a safe, reliable form of transportation?

https://badpowerbikes.com

In the article author shows real, concrete reviews from real users, unless you dont believe ??
To me it is relevent how the motors are manufactured.

This is intriguing.

I was initially reminded of my beginnings into the ebike world when I was trying to research local vendors. Long story short each of them were poisoning each others online reviews with fake accounts and bolstering their own reviews with even more fake accounts. It didn't take long for me to realize they were all a bunch of opportunist scumbags.

This site could be hosted by an angry customer, or a competing bike company. They used whois guard to hide their identity so whomever it is, they'd rather you didn't know their identity. However if you look at the very bottom of the page you'll see a link indicating that the domain is for sale. Click it and you'll find that the asking price is 20 grand.

Infer from that what you will.

I've worked on 8 or 10 different Rad bikes, either as tune ups or assembly jobs, and they're fine. There's nothing wrong with their power levels, and the jerky way the power comes when absent mindedly moving the pedals in a high PAS setting is shared by every cadence based setup.
Any kind of decently powered up bike is going to create hazards for unwary riders.

One thing in Rads favor no matter what other gripes one has is the brakes. I've wasted soooo much time on assembly on most cheap brands, and some expensive ones too, trying to get the disc brakes aligned decently.
Either the whole brake is a piece of off brand junk, or the mount is crooked to the rotor, is spacered out wrong, or the caliper is too high and only catching half the rotor in the pads. The Rads I've worked on at least came out the box ready to go without needing grinding, bending or spacing to function.
It's not Rads fault most people don't know how to adjust cable actuated disc brakes, and I've witnessed several that got taken to regular bike shops and got expensive shitty tune ups that left the brakes still barely functional because it wasn't bought there.

"Are we that far away from e-bikes being a safe, reliable form of transportation?"

I think the questions really is... Are we that far away from humans being able to operate a safe reliable form of transportation responsibly?

HK: you are absolutely right--I too was astonished by the amount of backstabbing among e-bike sellers when I first started researching e-bikes. Biktrix was one of the worst, making an endless list of false claims about FLX. FLX contradicted every single point in the most polite way possible. I wouldn't be surprised if the site were created by a competing (obviously far less successful) brand. It could also be an individual buyer still holding a grudge.

And yes, I've experienced the awful service from a shop because you bought it online deal. They performed absolutely zero service on the bike! I had to file a chargeback.

I'm wary of bikes with cadence sensors, but I've had both good and bad experiences with such bikes. It's hard to tell when buying online and you can't test ride or demo.

formula101 said:
I'm wary of bikes with cadence sensors, but I've had both good and bad experiences with such bikes.
it depends on how their system works.

almost all cadence systems (because most of them are cheaply designed) simply activate power at the level you chose on the display or other control. your actual cadence doesn't affect it at all, so even the word cadence is misleading for those, but it is usually used as a name in opposition to torque-sensing systems.

some cadence systems *do* actually use the cadence to control the power, not just activate it.

the systme i use on the sb cruiser does this via the cycle analyst v3's internal software translating the cadence of the pedalling sensor to a throttle voltage, based on rpm of the cranks and my choice of settings modifying this.

from what i've seen so far, the cheaper/more generic the system, the more likely it only activates at the full amount of the chosen power level when it detects pedalling.

the hardware itself is capable of doing it the other way...the firmware in the controller just doesn't know how.

They are entry level bikes attracting entry level riders and they have sold a lot of them so I am not surprised. On the other end of the spectrum the 2019 Specialized Levo had a lot of problems and sold for way more to arguably a more bike savvy crowd but they didn't seem to lose any love over the deal. I doubt RAD is too worried either.

IMO, the big danger of e bikes, hoverboards, or the now popular scooters, is the learning curve of riding them. Hardly a bike retailers fault, but I do believe that shitty pedelec is stupid. People have to break the habit of adjusting the pedals position while stopped for one. It should kick on after more than a full revolution of the crank.

Everybody learned how to ride a bike in their youth, right? Uhh,, sort of. They learned how to ride about a mile, through some low speed suburban streets, to a grade school where traffic is strictly controlled. Some kids go farther, race bmx, learn to wheelie, and even progress to hand brakes and MTB riding. But most don't. So they get an e bike, get going pretty fast, and then grab a front brake on the gravel or whatever, expecting to stop easy. they don't.

There have been a lot of "crashed my new e bike" threads on the sphere, including my really good crash that had nothing to do with e bike, but everything to do with I hadn't rode a bike or motorcycle much in years. I just dropped a bottle into the front wheel for my big crash.

Read what individuals are complaining about; broken boxes (Rad's fault?), wheels that came off after the individual installed them (Rad's fault). Sounds hokey to me.

Voltron said:
"Are we that far away from e-bikes being a safe, reliable form of transportation?"

I think the questions really is... Are we that far away from humans being able to operate a safe reliable form of transportation responsibly?

Best post on this thread, and the answer is yes....

There is a Radpower dealer here nearby. He has a cargo bike equipped for service on the road, the only one that I have seen around.

It is a fact that new ebike users, and most of those who are buying ebikes in the commerce, are not able to service their bike by themselves. And, many ebike riders don’t have a solid riding experience.

Serious riders are still building their own, because there are none satisfying on the market for performance riders.

Back