Zoom DH1100 fork

[F0]

100 µW
I got this zoom fork with a clone stealth frame I ordered because it was so cheap and didn't add to the shipping cost. This is apparently the DH1100 version and is inverted from the other zoom forks I've seen. Does anyone know anything about these forks? Are these air or spring forks?

I can't find much info about this particular version, only that there is a RA (rebound adjustment) version with black and magenta knobs. Mine has silver knobs.

Here is a link to the RA version on Aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32271285834.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.4075d7a4TIIqpj&algo_pvid=879fedc8-85e7-4bd0-9d37-3731e639bb66&algo_expid=879fedc8-85e7-4bd0-9d37-3731e639bb66-0&btsid=4f75cdd6-4680-423b-84ec-22d16d7c2f63&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2,searchweb201603_53

I was going to get a DNM USD 8 front fork, but might try these out if they are any good.

Attachments

• 20200108_154540_Film1b.jpg
    20200108_154540_Film1b.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,955
  • 20200108_154952_Film1b.jpg
    20200108_154952_Film1b.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 1,955
This is a very cheap ´DH’ fork. I’d say it is OK if you plan to ride the streets, but for mountain trails you’d be better with a used DH fork that has complete tuning options. A good used DH fork can be found for twice the cost of a new Zoom fork.

MadRhino said:
This is a very cheap ´DH’ fork. I’d say it is OK if you plan to ride the streets, but for mountain trails you’d be better with a used DH fork that has complete tuning options. A good used DH fork can be found for twice the cost of a new Zoom fork.

Yeah, but do you know where they are being sold? Do you know where I can find specifications like if it is air or spring? These seem to be newer and I can't find any info about them.

[F0 said:
" post_id=1520916 time=1578538665 user_id=68386]
MadRhino said:

Yeah, but do you know where they are being sold? Do you know where I can find specifications like if it is air or spring? These seem to be newer and I can't find any info about them.

There's no info anywhere because they are worthless. Waste of time, waste of money. Cheap equipment.

They certainly don't look very cheap. And seem 'beefy' enough for a recreational rider. Try to google a manual?

SlowCo said:
They certainly don't look very cheap. And seem 'beefy' enough for a recreational rider. Try to google a manual?

They're shiny. But looking at the last pic, the steerer tube looks pretty weak, and the triple clamps appear to be cast pot-metal.

Zoom has never been known in the MTB world for quality products; being associated with the frame would have turned me off to it. However, if there aren't any valve(s) to add air (look at the top caps), it must be spring loaded (or elastomer - Yikes!). Probably no damping, so as reported I nice looking pogo stick.

If you not intent to compete in real downhill events and are a normal rider then just try them out and see what you think about them. And give an update here on how they perform.

SlowCo said:
If you not intent to compete in real downhill events and are a normal rider then just try them out and see what you think about them. And give an update here on how they perform.

Yeah, definitely not trying to compete on downhill. I just want a street bike that can go on some dirt trails once in a while. I'm really trying to get specifications so I can try to sell this thing to anyone willing to buy it at half price. Then I can use that money to help with the DNM USD-8s.

I'm just wondering because I was expecting to get the older type zoom forks (pogo stick) that are all over the internet, and I get these that there is barely any info for. At least I know how to price the older zoom forks, but these newer forks look like they're being sold for double the price of the old zoom forks.

All the people saying they are cheap and worthless are just being redundant because I already said I got these for cheap.

DNM USD-8s is cheap too. Same design = flex. I went with that fork, sold it and invested in a good quality built fork - a Fox 40. Mine is a street bike too and all I can say is the difference is like night and day. I also got a used Marzocchi 888 just to try out and it's plush!

If you are going to go trough the trouble of replacing it, DNM is not much better, not worth it.
If you are replacing it get a used rockshox boxxer, marzocchi bomber 380 or fox 40 on pinkbike.

It is a spring/oil bath fork. Not new, they make it since 2015. Impossible to find parts or shop manual. The company website is off.

It does weight about 10 lbs. Warning in small characters on the left lower: Not for downhill use.

I guess that says all one need to know about them but, there are some ES members who have them on their street commuters and happy with them. Nobody who had built fast ebikes, of course.

SlowCo said:

They spend more time and more money on making it "look" "beefy" so they get the sales. Then the rider wonders why the fork cracked because the fork was beefy.

Is it even worth spending ~$125 on a fork like that, just for lazy sunday cruising, I'd say its a 50/50 chance, but you hit anything over 20mph/32kph and its a gamble and you gotta ask yourself, do you have enough health insurance to cover any potential accidents. Not worth the worrying for a penny bruh.

That seems a bit dramatic. I haven't ridden a crap-tastic x-mart MTB in a Looong time, but I certainly remember jumping one a lot back in my younger days. I've beat the crap out of plenty of cheap gear 10+ years ago before I could afford decent stuff. I've broken some of it(cheaper, more poorly made crap that the fork OP is asking about), but certainly nothing has exploded into flames because I hit 20mph.

The fork isn't a great fork, I'm certain, but for some regular street riding and light gravel/dirt road use, I'm sure it's fine. I'd be SHOCKED if it performed Well, but I'd be comfortable saying that it'll function OK and not explode.

I'd figure out what they're retailing for before tax or shipping and just list it at that price initially. If someone local is interested they'll already be getting a deal buying from you. If it doesn't sell you can always relist at a lower price.

Then I'd install a DVO Emerald, assuming I could convince myself to drop the coin. Sure it's twice the price of the DNM but the sale of the Zoom should make it a bit more palatable.

HK12K said:
Then I'd install a DVO Emerald, assuming I could convince myself to drop the coin. Sure it's twice the price of the DNM but the sale of the Zoom should make it a bit more palatable.

Twice the price of a Zoom for a DVO Emerald is very optimistic, even for a used one with lots of mileage.

I’d say buy a used Shiver DC if inverted is a must. Parts and upgrades are cheap and easy to source for old Marzzocchi.

Inverted forks are not very popular anyway. I prefer using common racing forks because they are easy to tune, and can be serviced quickly.

MadRhino said:
Inverted forks are not very popular anyway. I prefer using common racing forks because they are easy to tune, and can be serviced quickly.

I found this Fox presentation when I was looking at conventional vs inverted forks a while ago. Fork section starts page 10.

https://flowmountainbike.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/fox-2014-dh-launchA-3.pdf

Fox found that the conventional fork offered more desirable handling characteristics at a lighter weight and lower center of mass. Sounds like a rigid coupling between the lower stanchion tubes is difficult to achieve with inverted forks. The conventional fork allows for the arch brace between the lowers, increasing lateral stiffness somewhat.

serious_sam said:
MadRhino said:

I found this Fox presentation when I was looking at conventional vs inverted forks a while ago. Fork section starts page 10.

https://flowmountainbike.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/fox-2014-dh-launchA-3.pdf

Fox found that the conventional fork offered more desirable handling characteristics at a lighter weight and lower center of mass. Sounds like a rigid coupling between the lower stanchion tubes is difficult to achieve with inverted forks. The conventional fork allows for the arch brace between the lowers, increasing lateral stiffness somewhat.

Yep. Lighter and stiffer, and since the most of development efforts has been spent on conventional racing forks, they are also more advanced tech.

Inverted forks need to be heavy and bulky to be stiff. The reason why they had been abandoned in Trial motorcycle competition, where lighter weight and better tuning are making for a neat advantage using a DH racing fork.

Nevertheless, there are also some advantages to inverted forks that could make them interesting to ebike builders. They can go a long way without maintenance, because the oil is lubricating the stanchion until the last drop is gone. They are easier to mod. They clear a bigger tire, that can be important for some design/purpose. They are making a vintage, or motorcycle look that also meet some particular design requirements.

My friend has one that is definitely spring only. They're cheap crap with so much play that the wheel turns left when the front brake is used. My buddy loves his for his street riding, but after riding the bike once I refuse to ride it again. The feel is horrible, especially the turning thing just from applying the front brake.

Back