DIY Torque Sensor Install ?

silentguy

100 W
Not sure if this is the right forum area, but I can move the topic later if I get responses.

I Would like to do a do it yourself install of a torque sensor for a 36 V rear hub motor. The rear hub motor is currently on pedal assist but I don’t like the way the pedal assist works so I think I will need a torque sensor probably a new controller and a new display.

Suggestions on what I should use ? I’ve done some preliminary research and I think a bottom bracket torque sensor maybe the way to go, either a sempu or another brand. Anybody have any experience with this or suggestions on controllers and displays to use ?

first, is the problem with the pas you have now that it is just on/off at whatever power level you've set the controller display to?

if it isn't, then what specificaly don't ou like about how it works?

if it is, then before you go with torque sensor, do you have a cycle analyst v3?

if so, connect your pas to that instead of the controller, and set it up to do the pas control. you'll almost certanly like it better than the controller's pas.

if not, i'd go with teh ca v3 from ebikes.ca before changing out the controller and going with one that comes with / works with a torque sensing bb. the ca v3 jsut reinterprets the pas sensor /etc per your settngs and sends a new throttle signal to the controller that operates the motor via the pas as if it were a throttle.

that's what i'm using now on hte sb cruiser trike to control the motors, witha throttle just for some startups where i cant start pedalling the heavy trike to get started, then pedals do it all after i'm moving. with the right tuning of the ca settings it does jsut about what i want.

(i'd rther use a torque sensor but don't know any diyable systems that use torque to start with and then cadence, they use cadence for startup and then torque, opposite of what i need, basically for safety reasons so a little pedal pressure doens't suddnely make the bike vroom away...that wouldn't be a problem on my trike though. )

if you prefer something other than the ca then the kt / kun teng / kunteng opensource firmware in the threads by casainho / stancecoke / etc can be used to convert a standard kt brand controller of the right models to work with various pas / torque sensors, but i don't know any details on that so you'd have to go read those threads to get that info.

then the sempu ts bb, or tdcm, would probably be a good option for torque sensing control.

amberwolf said:
first, is the problem with the pas you have now that it is just on/off at whatever power level you've set the controller display to?

The PAS is 3 levels and it surges and freewheels
This is from a off the shelf bike.
I’d like the bike to be more bike like.

if it isn't, then what specificaly don't ou like about how it works?

It’s more like riding a moped.
There is a throttle too but that’s week
The controller and display are very minimal , so I don’t mind replacing those.
I’m unable to change the PAS sensitivity on the controller. It’s locked I’ll need a new controller

if it is, then before you go with torque sensor, do you have a cycle analyst v3?

No I don’t have a CAv3. Id consider it, but maybe a cheap controller and display would suffice

if so, connect your pas to that instead of the controller, and set it up to do the pas control. you'll almost certanly like it better than the controller's pas.

if not, i'd go with teh ca v3 from ebikes.ca before changing out the controller and going with one that comes with / works with a torque sensing bb. the ca v3 jsut reinterprets the pas sensor /etc per your settngs and sends a new throttle signal to the controller that operates the motor via the pas as if it were a throttle.

That sounds interesting.
The PAS you are referring to is the magnet sensor on the crank ? sorry I’m not up on all the terminology.

that's what i'm using now on hte sb cruiser trike to control the motors, witha throttle just for some startups where i cant start pedalling the heavy trike to get started, then pedals do it all after i'm moving. with the right tuning of the ca settings it does jsut about what i want.

(i'd rther use a torque sensor but don't know any diyable systems that use torque to start with and then cadence, they use cadence for startup and then torque, opposite of what i need, basically for safety reasons so a little pedal pressure doens't suddnely make the bike vroom away...that wouldn't be a problem on my trike though. )

if you prefer something other than the ca then the kt / kun teng / kunteng opensource firmware in the threads by casainho / stancecoke / etc can be used to convert a standard kt brand controller of the right models to work with various pas / torque sensors, but i don't know any details on that so you'd have to go read those threads to get that info.

Thanks fir that info

then the sempu ts bb, or tdcm, would probably be a good option for torque sensing control.

Yes I looked at those and torque sensing thread that I could find here as well as looked at the ebikes.ca

What about Beam TS. That might do the job ?
Cheaper

Thanks again for your detailed response.

silentguy said:
The PAS is 3 levels and it surges and freewheels
This is from a off the shelf bike.
I’d like the bike to be more bike like.
sounds like the common type that just turns power on full at the chosen level as soon as you pedal, and stops powering as soon as you stop, and ignores how fast you pedal.

It’s more like riding a moped.
There is a throttle too but that’s week
The controller and display are very minimal , so I don’t mind replacing those.
I’m unable to change the PAS sensitivity on the controller. It’s locked I’ll need a new controller
being unable to change the pas sensitivity doesnt' preclude using something like the cycle analyst v3 to take over that function, as long as teh existing system on the bike works without you having to pedal. if it won't run unles s yhour pedalling, youd need a different contrller first, one that oesnt require pedlling but will work just on throttle, since using the ca moves the pas from the controller to the ca, and the ca just uses throttle input on controller to do everything.

if the system as a whole is weak, then you'll likely end up replacing everything on it to improve that, including battery and motor. because the battery is probabl ymade to only support the power draw of the system as it is, and a new controller that would give the system more pull would also draw more power from teh battery, which is harder on it, and ages it faster, and decreases range and causes cutouts especially as it gets closer to empty than full. the motor may overheat if you try to make it do a lot more work than it does now, by putting a bigger controller on it.

but since you can piece together a system upgrade as you get parts, it won't hurt to chane controller and display first, both to a higher power one (higher current limit) and that supports a better form of pas.

when youre looking at controllers with pas already, if they don't already describe specifically that they actually follow power with pedalling speed, or pedal cadence, and dont' have reviews already stating this specificaly, then they almost certainly don't, since that's a very unusual feature for the cheap stuff, and not many separate controllers (not part of an oem bike) have pas at all when they're higher end.

the best bet other than a cav3 that works with any generic controller is the open source firmware on a kt controller / dipslay, as noted previously; you'd have to look those up and read about them to see if they're what oure afer.

i can't recommend any specfic parts or numbers to look for until you can tell us as much as possible about yoru existing system and your terrain, weather, usage needs, etc., so we can get an idea of what power yoru existing stuff can handle vs what kind of power you need to do what you want. if oyour motor has any writing or labels on it, same with controller, battery, etc., list those all here.

No I don’t have a CAv3. Id consider it, but maybe a cheap controller and display would suffice
the right kt controller with the open source firmware can do it, but the typical cheap controller will not run a torque sensor at all, and the cadence pas they use will probably be jsut like what you already have, or worse.

The PAS you are referring to is the magnet sensor on the crank ? sorry I’m not up on all
the terminology.
yes. that's what they usually call cadence sensor, or pas sensor, vs torque sensor.

What about Beam TS.
i didn't know that was still available anywhere. grin tech stopped being able to get them a long time ago, hadn't seen them anywhere else. it'd probably work too, as long as the controller you pick supports it or can be manually setup to work with it.

Thanks again for all your advice
I’ll look into CAv3 as there’s lots of good info on ebike s.ca

The existing controller I have has a throttle so the CAV3 should work on that as well
I’ll also look at the Kt open source controller

I’m just not really sure whether I should invest money into fixing this bike or just leave it with the crappy PAS. I’ll probably do it in steps if I decide to in which case the CAV3 might make the most sense.

The bike is a folding bike The One I bought off indiegogo. It was a bit of a scam and misrepresented and I paid Too Much for the bike it’s being sold on eBay and Amazon for much cheaper.

The short of the story is they gave me a controller which is locked, I can’t change any of the display settings including brightness or kilometers per hour to miles per hour and PAS sensitivity levels
The controller has very small dimensions and will fit only in a certain space under the bike so I don’t think I am open to installing a larger physical size controller.
The controller is listed in these specs.

Wattage: 200 - 250w
Voltage: 36V
Power Supply: Lithium Battery
Wheel Size: 16"
Motor: Brushless
Certification: CE
Foldable
Max Speed: <30km/h
Range per Power: 31 - 60 km
LED display on handlebar
Convenient built-in kick stand.
Single-side and patent protected Double fork support technology
Built-in Gear drive system
Built-in Lithium-ion battery exquisite and lightweight, easily accessible, allows to ride up to 40 km without recharge
Speed ratio of chain wheel and free wheel is 1:4
Completely waterproof bicycle: the circuit connector is inside frame, isolated from outside, with no risk of seepage
Original magnet fixation system. The reinforced magnet firmly holds the wheels together when the bike is folded.
Patent protected ergonomic saddle.
Tailor-made high speed brushless motor with high conversion efficiency.
Voltquestor Ease of Bicycle Engineering
Adjustable bicycle handlebar with 3 modes: bicycle mode, pedal assist and electric only
Motor weighs a mere 2 kg, 65% less compared to others, providing 30 % more power for an extended ride
Each bicycle goes through 7 stages of finishing during manufacturing process:
200C temperature powder paint, environmental protective primers, transparent essential oil sprayed, 2 times polishing.
Maximum bicycle load capacity is 95 kg
Technical information
Unfold dimensions: Length 125 cm X Width 52 cm X Height 100cm
Folded dimensions Length 74 cm X Width 27 cm X Height 55 cm
Packing carton dimensions Length 78,5 cm X Width 64 cm X Height 29 cm
Frame Independent RD Magnesium alloy
Colors Dark grey, Dazzling Red, Dazzling blue
Seat tube PROMAX 30,4*400 6061 Aluminium alloy
Handlebar PROMAX ϕ22,2*ϕ25.4*500
Tire and inner tube 16*1,7H -460 BK Chaoyang
Rim DW 16 24H A/V BK/CNC magnesium alloy one-piece wheel
Chainwheel PRO 552P 3/32*52T*165 mm
Axis 137 mm Aluminium
Hub magnet GRPI ϕ 31*12,1*15,5*4.5
Kick stand MBK modified material
Free wheel FW-3313 ED/CP Three claw stainless steel ½ *3/32*13T
Clamps ER-1 left, right
Pedal MX P 178
Max speed 25 km/h
Lithium-ion battery 36 V*2600 mA*20= 5,2 Ah Samsung battery
Charging time 3,5 h
Display 36 V EN06
Controller 36 V AMK-6G001-k-DAAO
Charger model WDOG Output DC 2,1 36V 8A
Modes: Bicycle/Pedal assist/Electric only
Weight 13 Kg

This is the controller.

Controller 36 V AMK-6G001-k-DAAO

I looked it up already on the DAAO site.
But that has slightly different specs.

http://www.daaomotor.com/html/Controller/256.html

I was told that my controller is locked , so maybe it’s a cheap oem custom version

Pic attached

Sorry I haven’t figured out how to upload photos here

The pic uploaded shows that my controller is rated at 10 A but the one on the manufacturer website says 15 A

Batteries in the bike are Samsung INR18650 35 E
and are rated at 8A. 3500 mAh per cell

I haven’t looked at the motor because it’s encased inside the rear wheel hub and I haven’t figured out how to get it off yet , it’s supposed to be a 250 W brushless motor but I think it’s just a cheap Chinese motor.

There’s going to be a limitation on the motor size in upgrading I hope that a 350 W or even a 500 W motor would fit in that space but I’m not sure As it’s quite small

silentguy said:
I’m just not really sure whether I should invest money into fixing this bike or just leave it with the crappy PAS. I’ll probably do it in steps if I decide to in which case the CAV3 might make the most sense.
depends on what you need the bike to do. if this physical bike does evertyhign you want but is just feature/power deficient, and rides like you want, and is the quality of bike you want, then you might as well fix it up to do the rest of what you'd like.

if there are things you need to do the bike can't, or it's not very good quality, problematic components, etc., then it may e simpler to start over and keep this as a working spare, or sell it to pay for some of the new one.

silentguy said:
The bike is a folding bike The One I bought off indiegogo. It was a bit of a scam and misrepresented and I paid Too Much for the bike it’s being sold on eBay and Amazon for much cheaper.
for that you should talk to indiegogo and file a complaint or whatever process they have. if enough people do that you might get teh scam stopped. dunno how they handle it, so dunno if you can get any sort of compensation.

from the specs in your other post, it's all pretty low quality stuff, so if you have more than very basic uses for the bike it might be better to start from scratch to make the new bike, and keep this one as-is till that's done and then use it either as a spare or sell it to pay for some of the new one. many of us find ourselves with a growing collection of ebikes as we discover that previous ones don't quite fit our needs, sometimes improving one until its cheaper / better to just start over, sometimes just starting over each time. ;) :oops:

The controller has very small dimensions and will fit only in a certain space under the bike so I don’t think I am open to installing a larger physical size controller.
if you're space limited it could be tough to find a replacement at all. but a number of 6fet controllers willlikely fit in small spaces.

additionally, since the display is part of the controller system, and you have to change both, you may also have ot change the whole wiring harness and if that's inside the frame it's a pita. if your'e willing to cut connectors and splice wires and trace wiring out, you can probably reuse the internal harness if there is one, if it has enough wires to work with the new one.

the battery is probably only really capable of around the max current the system already draws, so a bigger more powerful controller and motor is likely to stress the battery and reduce it's performance, range, and lifespan.

the motor is actually that entire hub inside the wheel. so if you changed the motor to a more powerful one you would change the whole wheel.

you *can* just unlace the wheel and replace just the whole hub, along with new spokes that are the right length for the new motor's different size, but it's much simpler to do teh whoel wheel, as you also then have a spare wheel you can swap out if stuff doesn't work as expected or you have a failure later on.

but you won't be replacing just the electrical motor portion inside the hub, as it's unlikely that any other motor you find would fit inside there the way the old one does, and would require modifications ot hub or motor that make it too much work or expense to be worth doing, and that's assuming you already know what to do instead of having to figure it out by trial and error.

so at this point, of all the options you have to make the pedal control smoother and more bike like, and the likelihood you'll end up building another bike anyway, i'd go with the ca v3 to just use your existing pedal magnet sensor to run the throttle input of the existing controller.

the ca will do more than just give you better pas, it'll also let you monitor power usage in a more useful way than the simple meter the bike has now, useful for troubleshooting problems and for knowing what it really takes to do what you need to do, so you'll better be able to judge how much of a system improvement you'll need for the next bike. ;)

if that turns out to be insufficient, a torque sensor can alter the way your pedal input is used to control the throttle. mostly this is likelyt o be helpful for hilly terrain; if you ride on the flats i expect just the pedal magnet sensor will work fine.

for ease of setup and installtion, you can buy a 24pole pas sensor along with the ca v3 from ebikes.ca all at the same time, and then it's all plug and play besides the battery and throttle connections. that's how i'd go in your case, as it's one less thing you have to figure out wiring on.

i owuld get the ca v3 sa model with it's own wheel speed sensor and external shunt, so you don't have ot mess with any of the existing controller wiring, beyond disconnecting the existing pas sensor itself so that the existing controller doesn't attempt to do any pas control and it's all done by the ca instead..

the ca does have to connect to the biek battery...and the way it needs to do this to monitor power usage means you have to cut the two thick wires between battery and controller completely, and then splice the ca's shunt between them. that can be soldered or you can use connectors. ebieks.ca has various options for this; i'd talk to them about the best one for your bike.

the throttle connector...you would disconnect the existing throttle from the existing controller, and isntead plug it into the ca's throttle input connector. then you connect the ca's throttle output connector to the controller's throttle input connector. this may require making cabling or cutting wires on the bike; it's not that complicated but as with all changes stuff can go wrong and cause problems. it's still less complicated than changing out the controller itself. ;)

the one critical thing you have to know about the bike is: does the throttle work even when you are not pedalling at all?

if it does, then the ca will work to do this with the existing controller.

if it does not, then you have to change the controller since you can't turn off pas control inside the one you have, and that will interfere with the ca making it do what you want.

All good comments.

The current throttle powers the bike but it’s very weak. That’s gotta be the controller.

If I use the CAv3 can it be made to give a better throttle Behavior than the controller

Of course it could be the 250watt motor is too weak.

Regarding indiegogo I will never do another one of those. In some ways they protect the scammers
Not much can be done when they remove all comments that don’t agree with them

silentguy said:
If I use the CAv3 can it be made to give a better throttle Behavior than the controller
not unless the existing throttle simply isn't sending a full throttle signal to the controller, which is very unlikely.

all the ca cna do is send a normal throtlte signal to any controller, based on either throttle input or pas input, etc.

The current throttle powers the bike but it’s very weak. That’s gotta be the controller.
Of course it could be the 250watt motor is too weak.
it's a combination of all system pieces.

the battery has to supply all the power the system uses, so if it cant handle the current draw of the controller, it's voltage sags to compensate, and the total power the system gets from it is lower than if it could handle it.

the controller has to take that power from the batery and supply it to the motor as the motor needs it to overcome the loads placed on it. because of component limits vs cost and size, there's always a current limit and a max voltage, which mean there's a power limit on the controller for what it can procdess.

the motor, if an infinitely capable controller and battery were placed on it, would be able to do way more than it can now, but it would also melt in the process of trying, becaues it can only handle so much heat. geared hubs are even worse ab out this becuase they get hot faster inside than non gered hubs, and there are parts like gears and clutch that are only meant to take so much torque so they break once past those limits.

change controller for easiest increase in power, by using one with a higher current limit. but using more current means battery works harder and sags more, and gets hotter and ages faster and has less range. it also means the motor can do more work and pull harder but it will get hotter inside and be closer to breaking things inside.

go to http://ebikes.ca/simulator, read the entire page to find out how things work and what they do and how to use them, then play with different systems to see how chanigng different stuff affects the whole system operation. tkes a little while to get the idea, but it's relaly helpful to see this.

Regarding indiegogo I will never do another one of those. In some ways they protect the scammers
Not much can be done when they remove all comments that don’t agree with them
you wouldn't post comments on the proejcts' page, because that is controlled by the project owners, so those are the people that remove comments and such, almost certainly. it's in the projects' interest to remove all negative comments so of coruse the project owners are going to do that. :(

you would instead contact indigogo's management / etc, to let them know their site is bieng used for such scams, along with all evidence you have for the specific project(s) that are involved.

Thanks again for detailed response
I will check out the simulator.

Indiegogo management was contacted by several people. Nothing was done.
I don’t think enough people have complained yet and it’s still a grey area if the company is legit ad they are playing a shell game.

Thanks again for detailed response
I will check out the simulator.

Indiegogo management was contacted by several people. Nothing was done.
I don’t think enough people have complained yet and it’s still a grey area if the company is legit as they are playing a shell game.

well, hopefully enough people will report it as a problem that ig will do something about it. did they respond to you at all?

fwiw, most of the "inventions" i see on those sorts of sites are rebrands of generic chinese products of various types; some of them "disappear" before very long so i'd guess are taken down by the admins once enough reports come in.

too bad the admins won't look into them before they allow them to be posted in the first place. ;)

Back