Type of wire for phase wires

ebike11

1 MW
Hi guys
I have a cyclone mid drive and the phase wires are really short and dont reach to where I want to mount the controller. The phase wires arent that thick but they are quite stiff from the factory. Is it ok to use 12AWG silicone wire with xt60 connectors and connect them to the cyclone phase wires which already have xt60s soldered on them or do I need the stiff type of phase wiring?
Thanks

The 12AWG multi-strand flexible wire with silicone insulation is quite good as motor phase wire.

005.jpg

Higher frequency favours multi strand wires. So the more strands the better for mid drive. Usually multi strand wires are softer.

Look into the Teflon PTFE wire, its durable but not as flexible. If I were rewiring the phase wires from the windings outward I would use that.

For your case study, any ole wire will do from Hobby Kings flavor to large big gauge speaker wire, 12g 10g etc

After trying many, I have found that no wire does beat those that are stock on big hubs. If you want to upgrade, buy the wires from a bigger hub than yours. If you repair, use the stock wires. When you scrap a hub, keep the wires.

The closest match that I have found on the local market, is HALAR insulated aviation grade wire.

Novice here, but if it were me and I were going through the trouble I'd be sourcing oxygen free copper with the highest strand count I could find. Oxygen free is less prone to oxidize in our hostile environments and the high strand count will help with flexibility as well as offer more surface area for the electrons to travel.

Silicone insulation is great for flexibility, but not so much for durability afaik. Maybe save it for inside the battery box and use something more robust for wires traveling on the exterior... unless you can incorporate conduit or other shielding into your build to protect it.

Phase wires are silver thinned copper, multi strand but not so many, so they are pretty stiff. PVC Halar insulated, very thin and robust insulation to make the max copper size fitting into the axle channel and prevent friction wear.

After the phase wires are out of the motor, I like using a larger gauge, more flexible, Turnigy silicon insulated RC wiring.

MadRhino said:
Phase wires are silver thinned copper, multi strand but not so many, so they are pretty stiff. PVC Halar insulated, very thin and robust insulation to make the max copper size fitting into the axle channel and prevent friction wear.

After the phase wires are out of the motor, I like using a larger gauge, more flexible, Turnigy silicon insulated RC wiring.

^^ I'm with the Crazy Pachyderm. The cable that comes out of the motors are for a specific reason, which rarely correlates to "high performance".

I cut the cable as near the exit as practical, with a little slack for mistakes/changes of mind/slightly different future mounts, etc. Then use a much larger gauge turnigy silicon insulated wire. Unless your controller is really close to your motor, you want as low voltage drop as possible. Watts may be cheap by having oversized batteries, but volts you can't get back and it'll impact your top speed.

Back