Set a World Record

Bullfrog

10 kW
Set a World Land Speed Record using your ebike and have your name etched in the record books forever.

Just got off the phone with the East Coast Timing Association (ECTA)...The ECTA is the sanctioning body for Land Speed Racing East of the Rocky Mountains in the USA.  I convinced them to establish a new class for electric two wheeled vehicles and the basic requirement is a battery voltage of 0-52.9 volts. The next class up will be "53.0-79.2 volts" and then every 26.3 volts until you reach "382.9 volts and above".

Their current schedule in 2020 is 24-26 April and 2-4 Oct and they run on the Blytheville, AR Air Force base runway.  Additional events and venues may be added.

Please help me promote the events and bring attention to the capabilities of electric vehicles.

General information on the ECTA can be found via their web site: https://www.ectamile.com/

Here is a link to the overall motorcycle rules:
https://www.ectamile.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/2018-Motorcycle-Rules.pdf

Any help distributing this information and promoting the events would be appreciated. The only thing I get out of it is friendship and fun. I am in no way connected with or employed by the ECTA.

Thank You
"Bullfrog"~Tom Brantley

Boring, except as a project for university students.

Very few here, are after a record. Even those of us building fast bikes, are more concerned about building the next one better, than faster. I wouldn’t want my name on any record, personnally.

My dad is moving to Searcy, AR...about 2 hours SE of the events.

I am doing it for giggles and since I'll be "in the area", it might be fun to do once or twice.

IMO the big news is they agreed to the lower voltage class which means a 14s battery is feasible...makes it simpler and more affordable.

But you know how to get to be a millionaire racing anything...you start with two million :lol: .

MadRhino said:
Boring, except as a project for university students.

Very few here, are after a record. Even those of us building fast bikes, are more concerned about building the next one better, than faster. I wouldn’t want my name on any record, personnally.

What about a cash prize?
Incentive enough but then the Q is whats the price point.
Maybe the type of record, say Guinness - https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/

At the very North-East corner of Arkansas, just above Memphis Tennessee.

images

markz said:
MadRhino said:
Boring, except as a project for university students...

What about a cash prize?

I am old Mark. Even my kids are old already. I stopped digging cash a long time ago, when it became obvious that I would never spend it all if I live 110. :twisted:

The original lowest voltage class was 0-79.2 volts with a 26.3 volt jump each time you moved up a class. No clue how they came up with that breakdown.

We discussed having the lower voltage break at 58.8v but it made more sense just to drop down another 26.3 volts from the established 0-79.2 volts so all the jumps between classes would be the same.

Mad Rhino has a very valid point...going fast in a straight line is "relatively" boring until you start to exceed your capabilities or your vehicles capabilities and I doubt that is going to happen with a 52 volt power supply for most of us.

Plus there is no cash prize...just the satisfaction of knowing you are the fastest. AND the entry fee is fairly substantial...can't remember exactly how much but several hundred dollars just to participate. Travel, lodging, personal safety equipment (leathers/helmet/gloves/boots), specialized safety equipment like lanyard disconnect and speed rated tires...the cost adds up in a hurry.

Although I did get the OK to run bicycle tires if I provide verification I have tested them prior to a sanctioned event :D .

Not something you'd want to attempt without considering the overall cost...both time and money. I hope to set the first record but I hope somebody comes along and breaks it quickly...IMO, it isn't really a race unless you have more than one participant. Kind of like Arfons and Breedlove...it just would not have been the same with just one of them :wink: .

If there is no limit on amps, then 48V / 13S is plenty.

There are a lot of bicycle components that I would run up to high speed, however I HIGHLY recommend moped tires. Getting the rims and spokes is a hassle along with a noticeable cost, but...the tires are rated for 100-MPH and they are surprisingly affordable. There is never a good time to blow out a tire, but doing it at 70+ MPH could kill you.

spinningmagnets said:
... There is never a good time to blow out a tire, but doing it at 70+ MPH could kill you.

Blowing a tire speeding on a straight line is very unlikely to kill you, not even causing a crash. I‘ve had a tire popped off the rim at 60 mph in trafic and didn’t crash. But, I did crash many times cornering cheap hard gum tires on wet or dusty surfaces.

The ECTA is a sanctioning body for records run at ECTA venues; they cannot and do not sanction "world records". By all means I recommend anyone interested try it out, it is a lot of fun. (Disclosure: I am the EV inspector, timer and one of the bike inspectors for the Loring Timing Association (LTA) www.loringtiming.com and have electric records > 200 mph.) The LTA holds events at the old Loring SAC base in Limestone, Maine.

The voltage breakdown originated with the National Electric Drag Racing Association (www.nedra.com) and are what evolved from the pre-lithium days i.e. when batteries were typically classified by nominal 6 or 12 volt increments. The NEDRA (and LTA) voltage classes start at 0 volts and the class-structure can be seen at either of the websites mentioned above. It looks like ECTA decided to cut them off for simplification. I would encourage anyone planning to run to read the rules and reach out to ECTA with any questions ahead of time.

If a new class is being created I would probably ask about other typical 2-wheel requirements ex. safety wiring, tether, chain guard, riding apparel, which might be modified for a (presumably) lower speed class. But do give it a try, it really is a blast.

Frank said:
The ECTA is a sanctioning body for records run at ECTA venues; they cannot and do not sanction "world records". By all means I recommend anyone interested try it out, it is a lot of fun. (Disclosure: I am the EV inspector, timer and one of the bike inspectors for the Loring Timing Association (LTA) www.loringtiming.com and have electric records > 200 mph.) The LTA holds events at the old Loring SAC base in Limestone, Maine.

The voltage breakdown originated with the National Electric Drag Racing Association (www.nedra.com) and are what evolved from the pre-lithium days i.e. when batteries were typically classified by nominal 6 or 12 volt increments. The NEDRA (and LTA) voltage classes start at 0 volts and the class-structure can be seen at either of the websites mentioned above. It looks like ECTA decided to cut them off for simplification. I would encourage anyone planning to run to read the rules and reach out to ECTA with any questions ahead of time.

If a new class is being created I would probably ask about other typical 2-wheel requirements ex. safety wiring, tether, chain guard, riding apparel, which might be modified for a (presumably) lower speed class. But do give it a try, it really is a blast.

Excellent info and advice...Thank You Frank.

I have been on the phone and communicating with "Steve" at ECTA for a while now...great guy and very helpful. Willing to adapt the rules for certain situations but NEVER compromise safety :D . There are a LOT of hoops you have to jump through so I don't want anyone to think you just show up and run...most of the "hoops" are to ensure you don't get hurt.

MadRhino said:
markz said:
MadRhino said:
Boring, except as a project for university students...

What about a cash prize?

I am old Mark. Even my kids are old already. I stopped digging cash a long time ago, when it became obvious that I would never spend it all if I live 110. :twisted:
Well, if you need a hand...

Wow...this Land Speed thing has turned out to be quite a fiasco.

I am a little slow but I finally realized that a hub motor will limit my top speed because I'll be limited by the gearing...available Kv and the rear tire diameter...regardless of how much amperage I can supply. So if I really want to go as fast as possible, a mid drive IS required.

So then I backed off of the "Setting a Record" idea and started looking at just building a nice hub motor bike with good acceleration and top speed. Found the MXUS 5KW motor with a 55mm stator and thought it might be the way to go until I read they use an obscure French thread on the cover for the freewheel that makes it difficult to find a freewheel that will fit.

A QS 273 has some unique challenges due to the short spokes plus it is heavy and requires a lot of amperage so you need to go with LiPos as opposed to an 18650 based battery and that adds a little complication factor IMO.

If you want to set a record, you'll need to use LiPos IMO. An 18650 based battery is going to have to be huge to supply the amperage required :wink: .

So IMO, it looks like a QS 205 motor would be one of the best hub motor for a high powered bike built for fun...which "Mad Rhino" recommended way back, I just didn't listen :D .

A lot of you probably already knew everything I mentioned above...I just got a chuckle out of realizing I have just about come full circle and I am back to playing with my MAC powered bike that weighs 60 lbs :lol: . The MAC I am running now is a 12T and I am running a 14s/52v battery with a 40A controller...the top speed is around 25 mph and it will out accelerate most ebikes from 0-20 mph. I may try a 10T MAC or GMAC motor in the future but right now I am just kicking back and enjoying my relatively light MAC bike and having fun. Anybody with a desire to chase a Land Speed World Record...I'd be glad to pass along everything I know, which shouldn't take long :lol: , so feel free to post questions here or send me a message :D .

My sincere thanks to everyone who helped educate me along the way.

Independent of gearing & wheel diameter, top speed comes from rpm IOW high voltage.

Amps are the factor for torque at low rpm.

Yes but the classes are based on the voltage.

The lowest voltage class is currently 0-52.8v so with 52.8v and a Kv of about 19 which is roughly the highest you can get and a 750 mm OD tire which is way bigger than most motorcycle tires that are speed rated (another consideration) you can't go over about 46 mph no matter how much amperage you have available.

Amperage is proportional to torque at any speed and if you go with a mid drive, you can go a lot faster because you can change the gearing and the available amperage will be you limiting factor and not the voltage...well and how aerodynamic you can make your machine :D .

What if you repurposed a hub motor as a mid-drive? I've seen pics of this but that would give you some gearing flexibility.

Frank said:
What if you repurposed a hub motor as a mid-drive? I've seen pics of this but that would give you some gearing flexibility.

Excellent idea and one I may attempt if I continue.

I am looking at all the options at this point...I have an old motorcycle with no motor that I may use for the concept :D .

Mid drive for a speed record, but not any nid drive build. You have to build light, low, and aero. Those conditions are much more important than motorization.

I doubt light weight is important as an absolute

HP per kg as a relative measure, yes

john61ct said:
I doubt light weight is important as an absolute

HP per kg as a relative measure, yes

Given infinite distance to accelerate, weight would not be a consideration as far as the power required to accelerate it.

Like everything it depends...for the East Coast Timing Association runs are one mile in length and they use a standing start and any additional weight slows your acceleration.

For the long course at Bonneville weight is not as big of a factor and could even be helpful but you have to have a top speed over 175 mph :D .

Well, weight/hp ratio is the real way to put it. Yet, since weight alone is an important factor of ground contact friction (aka rolling resistance), the ratio curve is not to be interpreted as linear.

Back