Any suggestions on this

Pasquale

10 µW
My electric scooter has no torque - 1800w , 48v with 54v Lit ion battery pack (2x20ah) .
Making very bad noise also ... https://youtu.be/IhrnXRLbh3A
Bought it as a project ( non runner ) replaced 4 capacitors in the controller - did run but not as fast as expected and was noisy.
But will not start from stand still - I am thinking something wrong with the motor ???
I also had it running on a 48v lead acid battery
https://youtu.be/E3rdXaZir6c

..any help ...anybody ?

sounds like something motor, could have shorted phase wires, bad combo. you bought this as a fixer upper might as well pull the motor and start inspecting, maybe some pictures. edit. never mind I didn't watch video, thought it was a large scooter/bike not skateboard scooter

I appreciate any pointers and suggestions - i am just trying to save some time and money of course -
If I didn’t know any better I would suspect the battery just has not enough power - but I have tried another good battery and it’s pretty much the same result - if as I suspect it’s the electric motor - what would I be looking for - I have taken it apart before and could not find any obvious signs of damage ...

First of all, is this a brushed motor or a brushless?

Second of all, 90% of non battery related problems are related to bad connections. So check em all again, and again. The typical problem tends to be the contacts back out of the housing as you plug them in, so they look good, but are not.

I believe it to be brushless - when I had it apart there were no brushes to be seen ( if I recall correctly from many years ago brushes are on tiny sprung magnets - correct ? )
I can check the connectors again on this one there are only 3 from the throttle , I think 5 for the hall ? , battery +-, motor 3 wires , and I think that’s it - no lights / ignition key/ indicators / horn.....so hopefully fingers crossed - but why so noisy ?

I don't know these scooters but it sounds like the motor is spinning. is there a centrifugal clutch or a freewheel on the motor shaft? could be a sheared shear pin or missing woodruff key or fried clutch or stripped freewheel

No they are fairly basic - twist and go -chain from single cog to wheel cog....I don’t think it’s the controller ,,,, I will spend some time on the wire connectors - what is the function of the “hall” group of wires ?
I have other scooters and I think I will switch the motor with one of them and see what happens - (fun time stripping 2 down ) of course they will have different connectors for sure 😩)

Ok, definitely brushless, so less likely the motor cooked off.

Again, often just the connectors to the motor. Sounds like either a bad contact on one of the 8 wires to the motor, or a hall sensor in the motor failed.

Not so likely the controller, blown controllers typically result in nothing happens at all. Blown fets in controllers result in a very very high resistance to turning the motor, when the motor is connected, but the power is off. If that resistance vanishes when you unplug from the controller, its the blown fet in the controller shorting the motor out.

That is/ are some great pointers - thank you , I had hoped to get into it yesterday or today but we actually have good weather and I am under orders to make burgers for a bbq and dig a vegetable plot ... cut grass , hedges and dispose of clippings .... that’s my day gone - maybe tomorrow - ( I don’t know why I’m thinking that it could be a hall that is causing this as I have no clue what they actually are or how to check them - YouTube here I come ) thank you again...
Just one other thing - lifting the wheel ( reducing the demand ) will spin the wheel - but at top revs it’s almost as if it’s dropping rotation speed and increasing again - pulsing ? Somewhat

Back