Thoughts on this setup.(updated)

Aussie-guy

1 mW
First thanks to all the members that have provided endless information and discussion it’s been a pleasure lurking the last decade.

So I’m already ready to pull the trigger on my setup. No I Don’t have a massive budget but think I’ve made the correct choice overall (the biggest downside is the battery pack which I intend to upgrade to a larger pack by one of the Aussie members).

Enduro frame 2mm carbon steel

QS273-V3 8000w(continuous) 72v hub motor (I weigh 65kg but am a little concerned about overheating with the hills around my area as it’s a mountainous terrain, I live near the commonwealth games MTB track in australia and would like to hit the trails a bit too).
*update. I ended up opting for the 3T edition (Torque Version), 880rpm as it better suited my needs.

DNM-8s *changed to DNM-8C, same specs as the 8s but with moto style mounting support for lights, cable lock support etc

DNM-RCP-2S 200*56mm (changed to 750lbs spring)

KMC headset

Shimano rear Derailleur

TekTro hydraulic disc brakes (4 pistons) HD-E725

PAS RT-V12R

72V 40.6 ah Panasonic Lithium battery

SVMC72150 150A sabvoton controller + Bluetooth
Half twist throttle

3.5" IPS display: TFT UKC1 (same as the bangfan one)

21 inch motorcycle tire and rims
Spokes: crossed, 3.2mm 10g per spoke.

*Thanks everyone for their thoughts and feedback, this project is coming alone nicely hoping to find some more time to put into it
This is my first endo build, I’ve been riding and playing with escooters and upgraded an older mtb with a small integrated battery and low powered hub, so despite all my lurking Im by no standards even amateur level of understanding.

Thanks for stopping by

Edit:updated extra information
Added build photos and final outcome

Attachments

• 311749E1-BDE8-4B06-8DF0-AD03BB150063.jpeg
    311749E1-BDE8-4B06-8DF0-AD03BB150063.jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 943
  • 9B9CD1C3-A808-438F-BFC4-6D4B4E5C50B8.jpeg
    9B9CD1C3-A808-438F-BFC4-6D4B4E5C50B8.jpeg
    25.7 KB · Views: 943
  • 7B2C108E-53BB-407F-A55E-A342E66C8E37.jpeg
    7B2C108E-53BB-407F-A55E-A342E66C8E37.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 943
  • 47E81355-7A9F-482E-90BC-DBB8C4D264D7.jpeg
    47E81355-7A9F-482E-90BC-DBB8C4D264D7.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 943
Sounds like a cool project. hope you post pics when you're done.

As a rough outline, seems fine. those Spokes are good for a motorcycle wheel, but you didn't specify what size motorcycle rim you're going to use.
Since you're worried about overheating, I'd go for the smallest rim size you can fit. I believe QS specifies a 17' rim, but I'd be trying to fit a 16" if possible. As for the front, since you're using a bicycle fork valved for a bicycle weight wheel, I wouldn't go for a motorcycle wheel unless you had to. anything bigger than 14g spoke would be too heavy and too thick to work properly on a bicycle wheel.

One of the problems I ran into with my Monster bike was the rear shock. it's a bike shock and i'm abusing it with my heavy hub motor. I've boiled the fluid and popped seals on it after some hard rides. It needs a motorcycle shock. If you're going to use one of the generic chinese Endo frames, you will probably want to weld in some bracing to the swing arm and frame to support the massively higher stress a heavy, high powered motor will put on it through the shock.

Which QS 8000w motor?

Thank-you for your comments, I was planning on using a 21” moto tire and rim, the bracing welds are an excellent idea. All up I’m sitting at 2k USD so far (usd to aud conversion is rather painful). Which isn’t a massive budget, so I’m trying to squeeze as much out of it to get started.

What have you found to be effective mud guards? I’ve seen a few shorter style ones appear but have no idea on their effectiveness?

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, I’ll certainly be posting pictures of the journey.

Drunkskunk said:
Sounds like a cool project. hope you post pics when you're done.

As a rough outline, seems fine. those Spokes are good for a motorcycle wheel, but you didn't specify what size motorcycle rim you're going to use.
Since you're worried about overheating, I'd go for the smallest rim size you can fit. I believe QS specifies a 17' rim, but I'd be trying to fit a 16" if possible. As for the front, since you're using a bicycle fork valved for a bicycle weight wheel, I wouldn't go for a motorcycle wheel unless you had to. anything bigger than 14g spoke would be too heavy and too thick to work properly on a bicycle wheel.

One of the problems I ran into with my Monster bike was the rear shock. it's a bike shock and i'm abusing it with my heavy hub motor. I've boiled the fluid and popped seals on it after some hard rides. It needs a motorcycle shock. If you're going to use one of the generic chinese Endo frames, you will probably want to weld in some bracing to the swing arm and frame to support the massively higher stress a heavy, high powered motor will put on it through the shock.

Go for it you'll need some minor mods on the swing arm which is easy, a bit of bracing on the frame and go for moped rims 18 or 19" - I love mine :)
Keep us informed :thumb: :D

tolkaNo said:
I'd buy a sur-ron instead
I did look at that option and while they look great, the performance is still not quite up to scratch speed wise, also it’s double the amount that I’m spending

Jonno said:
Go for it you'll need some minor mods on the swing arm which is easy, a bit of bracing on the frame and go for moped rims 18 or 19" - I love mine :)
Keep us informed :thumb: :D

Would you suggest the moped 19” over the 23” moto rim? Is that to reduce over heating or for another reason? In regards to the swing arm mods, outside of reinforcing and bracing, was there anything else you found you had to do? Thanks for your assistance

Aussie-guy said:
tolkaNo said:
I'd buy a sur-ron instead
I did look at that option and while they look great, the performance is still not quite up to scratch speed wise, also it’s double the amount that I’m spending

It's gonna weigh a tonne, won't offroad well, won't look like a bicycle on the road, and won't be as cheap as you think it will be

There's still ways to do the build you want to do but qs273 on trails/offroad isn't it

my 273 came with a 19" rim which is about the same od as a 24" mtb rim (both with tyres)That I previously had. The extra weight requires a bigger shock, I'm using a cheap pit bike 280mm @ 35gbp : see pic

IMG_20200506_065405a.jpg

I'm an ancient old fossil so I'll get one of my eager test pilots to jump it :lol:
Other advice: try to ride without a huge grin on your face :lol:

Could someone explain what they mean by bracing the swing arm? Maybe photos? I'm doing a similar project myself but I don't quite understand what you mean by that.

Haven't braced mine :? Just added a new bottom mounting bracket for the bigger shock and made the axle dropout slots wider to accommodate the extra 2mm om the axle thickness.

Done over 8000 miles on it + it had a previous owner :)

Jumping however might be a different story :D

The DNM rcp2 shocks weren't man enough to do the job (bottoming out etc) on any of my battery/ motor configurations. I have 3 broken / bent ones hence the 3 free springs.
I bought the current one as an experiment (as usual) and it does a much better job.

One of my other projects will be a bit better for jumping....maybe:

Attachments

• received_463105784592150a.jpeg
    received_463105784592150a.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,427
I’m using the 750lbs spring for the rear dnm to hopefully help counter some of that, add some bracing where required. Nice looking rig your working on too what is the frame on your latest project?

Jonno said:
my 273 came with a 19" rim which is about the same od as a 24" mtb rim (both with tyres)That I previously had. The extra weight requires a bigger shock, I'm using a cheap pit bike 280mm @ 35gbp : see pic

IMG_20200506_065405a.jpg

I'm an ancient old fossil so I'll get one of my eager test pilots to jump it :lol:
Other advice: try to ride without a huge grin on your face :lol:

Aprilia MX with a QS138 and a NF 24F :bigthumb:

I tried both the 650lb and the 750lb springs ..... maybe it's my riding style :?

kalevvaska said:
Sweet setup! What shock did you use instead of the rcp2, and how long?

A 1000lb pit bike shock 280mm from ebay @ 35GBP :bigthumb:

The 1000lb spring isn’t too stiff? I would imagine it barely moves. I was considering a 750lb.

It's fine - I do question whether it really is rated at 1000lb though. I've done about 1000 miles on it now - much better than the DNM 750lb and doesn't bottom out. 35gbp well spent says I

kalevvaska said:
Did you bottom out regularly on roads or just on trails/bumpy terrain?

Roads will be fine.

Back