BBS02 Vs Crystalyte Rear Thru

Hi there,

Thanks so much to everyone who helped me with my previous post.

As far as what I gathered, if you want headroom for future upgrading and more power, hub motors are the way to go as it doesn't involve the bike drive train.

Problem is, my bike only has a thru axle, so my only hub motor option is the Crystalyte rear thru from Grin tech. This will set me back around 500 pounds with a standard controller and no battery, is it worth it? Has anyone had much experience with the thru axle kit?

If I just bought the BBS02b with battery it would be 500 pounds, would that be powerful enough for speeds of 30mph +? If not should I just get the BBSHD as it's the same price as the Crystalyte?

Also to answer a question that pops up, I am careful with my gears and always change them - My bike had a 10 speed rear derailleur.

Cheers and thanks so much

Rhys

rhysgittoes said:
Problem is, my bike only has a thru axle, so my only hub motor option is the Crystalyte rear thru from Grin tech.
We commonly build on the rear, because of handling and grip. And, we are building hub motor bikes on through axle frames, for a very long time.

Your ‘only option’ is not an option for all of those on ES building fast and powerful ebikes. Read about torque plates, pinch dropouts, through axle bolt-on dropouts... Even torque arms if you are building low power.

On the frame you listed before, I don't think the BBSHD will fit due to the way the downtube is shaped. Also, the seat is set far back due to the bike's geometry, so adding more weight to the rear will more adversely affect handling. Meaning a heavy rear hub motor is a bad idea. The downtube shape also means that a larger battery placed on the underside will possibly be hit by the front tire if the shock compresses far enough. That would cause the front tire to stop dead and flip the bike.

You're better off starting with a better bike. Since you only plan to use this on the street, you don't need a bike set up for offroad racing. find something used and cheap that can more easily fit a hub motor and battery.

Back