Crystalyte SAW and MSOFP16 geared motor questions

goosenoose

100 mW
Hello... I have the Crystalyte SAW brompton motor kit. I live in London at present (with lots of steep and long hills) and am curious about the geared option now having schlepped my DD-laden brompton on/off the tube a handful of times now. (I have a big honking 24ah EM3EV battery as well). I use it to commute daily to/from work (about 5 miles each way) and on weekends for group rides with roadie coworkers (I dial it back to about 150-200w so I can get something of a workout with them).

1. I'm considering putting together another brompton build using the geared motor version... question being if there's risk of 'burning out' the motor on aforementioned hills?

2. I accidentally thought the SAW motor was rated for 800 watts... I ran it this way for a couple weeks up to point that I was in an elevator and smelled a burning smell and realised it was coming from my motor? Motor was nearly-hot to touch/very warm. How badly have I damaged it :(?? I installed Statorade since and after it smelled that way again, I just put power level down to 400-500. Never hot to touch at that wattage.

youre probably running under powered for the SAW motor.

you are in the UK, do you keep to 250w? and slower speeds like 32km/h

probably better with geared hub

goosenoose said:
...How badly have I damaged it
Only cooked a bit of varnish. If it was badly damaged it wouldn’t run anymore. 800w is a lot for this small motor. It will probably last many more years if you keep limiting to 500w.

DD hubs can survive a lot of abuse. The geared hub will give you better torque, and maybe better efficiency. It will not stand much abuse though, gears and clutch are not that strong.

Hi,

I already a own a very well engineered Brompton conversion from a well known aftermarket vendor which uses a light and powerful geared hub motor. In the future I would like to give use of this to my GF and I am currently building a second Brompton for myself and I am currently evaluating a couple of Brompton-sized DD and geared hub motors for that project.

It looks like I might be pretty close to you so maybe shoot me a PM?

Oli.

:) eep.. sorry for late reply. for some reason my endlesssphere notification e-mails were going to spam.

@madrhino, thanks for the response. i've actually taken it in the opposite direction now.. bringing it down to 200-250w to maximise my battery life as i've taken to exploring the country side :D

https://imgur.com/a/dZTXkc9

@oli.hall sure!

Back