Do I need I need to wrap this?

ebike11

1 MW
Hi guys..i plan on using this shunt to replace my grin one. I attached a pic. The problem is this shunt is exposed and has no insulation to avoid it possibly touching something that its not supposed to. I will be just putting it loosely inside the EEB frame with all the other wiring.
Would wraping it with special tape like this be a good idea?

https://www.chukoh.com/products/tape/asf-110fr/

If not..what do you recommend?
Thanks!!

Attachments

• Capture+_2020-07-20-07-29-02-1-1-1-1-1.png
    Capture+_2020-07-20-07-29-02-1-1-1-1-1.png
    210.9 KB · Views: 349
An innter tube, wrapped a few times around, zip ties and gorilla duct tape for good measure, then thick heat sink which should be easily available on ebay, though my local electronic supply store has thick heatshrink in up to 2" diameter maybe even 3" diameter, 1:3 shrinkage.

Put it in a box.
A box is the standard norm to protect nude connections, they are available all sizes in various materials.

markz said:
An innter tube, wrapped a few times around, zip ties and gorilla duct tape for good measure, then thick heat sink which should be easily available on ebay, though my local electronic supply store has thick heatshrink in up to 2" diameter maybe even 3" diameter, 1:3 shrinkage.

Do u mean shrink wrap that goes over battery cells? Usually blue and is plasticky or is the shrink tube you mean have the texture of the type that goes over wires?

I'd definitely insulate it somehow, it can't be touching metal stuff.

I happen to have some larger shrink tube around, so that is what I would use. But a section of inner tube, box made for it, half a roll of duct tape, whatever is handy at the house will work.

My late electrician would save a bunch of wonder bread bags for this type of insulation duty. He would wrap lugs and larger connections as much as needed (voltage, vibration, and impact) to protect sharp edges from cutting through and cover with a layer of ele tape to keep it in place (shrink tube would work well if you have it handy and remember to install it before connecting). In the case of rework, he could peel it off in seconds with little chance of nicking anything. This saved countless hours when changing out components over his years never mind tons of tape and sticky mess it leaves on everything.

Back