40 amp luna cycle controller specs? Shunt mod?

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
Post Reply
speedyebikenoob   100 W

100 W
Posts: 210
Joined: Feb 07 2019 12:30am

40 amp luna cycle controller specs? Shunt mod?

Post by speedyebikenoob » Jul 31 2020 2:19pm

Hi guys, I have a cyclone middrive kit from Luna Cycle which came with their 40 amp motor controller. Does anyone have experience with shunt modding these? How much power can they safely handle? Anyone know how many fets do they contain? Edit: Opened it up, contains 12 fets. I'm hoping to bump it up from 40 amps to atleast 50 with the shunt mod, does that sound reasonable?

User avatar
MadRhino   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6792
Joined: Sep 03 2010 5:28pm
Location: Montreal QC Canada

Re: 40 amp luna cycle controller specs? Shunt mod?

Post by MadRhino » Jul 31 2020 7:31pm

It is reasonable. You need little mod to the shunt resistance to gain only 10 Amps. If there is a parallel group of shunts, like 4 side by side, then you can add one and you will gain about 25% extra power.
Make it fool-proof, and I will make a better fool.
Current bikes
Street:
Trek Session 10 mod. Variable geometry. 70mph
Dirt:
Santa Cruz V10. 50mph

markz   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 10135
Joined: Jan 09 2014 11:38pm
Location: Alberta Canada

Re: 40 amp luna cycle controller specs? Shunt mod?

Post by markz » Jul 31 2020 9:32pm

Can your battery safely handle a 50A request from your controller?
Does your battery have a BMS if so whats it rated for, if its 40A then its a no go on the shunt mod.

Add a shunt, or add a bit of solder. If its a cheap controller, solder or if you want to wait for a shunt from mouser but theres no way of knowing what the value of the shunt itself is thats in the controller. I would just buy a cheap controller thats 60A, more then you need because its always better to get more then you really want, if your battery can handle it. Then revert back to the first 2 questions.

User avatar
MadRhino   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6792
Joined: Sep 03 2010 5:28pm
Location: Montreal QC Canada

Re: 40 amp luna cycle controller specs? Shunt mod?

Post by MadRhino » Jul 31 2020 9:42pm

You can measure shunt impedance with a multimeter, and manage with try and error, to lower impedance to 3/4 of its actual value.

Of course, your battery must be able to supply the extra Amps.
Make it fool-proof, and I will make a better fool.
Current bikes
Street:
Trek Session 10 mod. Variable geometry. 70mph
Dirt:
Santa Cruz V10. 50mph

markz   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 10135
Joined: Jan 09 2014 11:38pm
Location: Alberta Canada

Re: 40 amp luna cycle controller specs? Shunt mod?

Post by markz » Jul 31 2020 10:35pm

MadRhino wrote:
Jul 31 2020 9:42pm
You can measure shunt impedance with a multimeter, and manage with try and error, to lower impedance to 3/4 of its actual value.

Of course, your battery must be able to supply the extra Amps.
Can you measure a shunt accurately thats already in a circuit?
Does a normal multi-meter go that low for resistance/impedance measurement?

User avatar
E-HP   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1305
Joined: Nov 01 2018 9:20pm

Re: 40 amp luna cycle controller specs? Shunt mod?

Post by E-HP » Aug 01 2020 12:00am

markz wrote:
Jul 31 2020 10:35pm
MadRhino wrote:
Jul 31 2020 9:42pm
You can measure shunt impedance with a multimeter, and manage with try and error, to lower impedance to 3/4 of its actual value.

Of course, your battery must be able to supply the extra Amps.
Can you measure a shunt accurately thats already in a circuit?
Does a normal multi-meter go that low for resistance/impedance measurement?
Not sure if this is considered normal, but I ordered one of these the other day after doing some quick research. Hard to beat for $25 if it turns out to be good:
https://usa.banggood.com/ANENG-AN8008-T ... ehouse=USA

Lots of youtube reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyYm5b-y9ZY

I don't think it can go lower than 1 mohm though.

EDIT: never mind. the ohm scale doesn't have a lower range.

speedyebikenoob   100 W

100 W
Posts: 210
Joined: Feb 07 2019 12:30am

Re: 40 amp luna cycle controller specs? Shunt mod?

Post by speedyebikenoob » Aug 01 2020 2:01pm

Okay so I did the shunt mod yesterday and I think it was successful! After two tries I got it to peak at exactly 50 amps up a steep hill according to the cycle analyst. I just decided to add a little bit of solder to the shunts. The motor controller doesn't seem to heat up much more than it did before, but of course it's been a day so reliability wise I'll have to see if the thing lasts, but the bike feels peppier than I thought it would and can get up hills more easily than it could before. Btw yes, the reason I didn't want to upgrade to a 60 amp controller is because my battery's max continuous output is 50 amps and I didn't feel like spending $70-80 more if I didn't need to.

User avatar
amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 30778
Joined: Aug 17 2009 6:43am
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group
Contact:

Re: 40 amp luna cycle controller specs? Shunt mod?

Post by amberwolf » Aug 01 2020 9:40pm

E-HP wrote:
Aug 01 2020 12:00am
Not sure if this is considered normal, but I ordered one of these the other day after doing some quick research. Hard to beat for $25 if it turns out to be good:
https://usa.banggood.com/ANENG-AN8008-T ... 57985.html
I don't think it can go lower than 1 mohm though.
EDIT: never mind. the ohm scale doesn't have a lower range.
Unfortunatley, that kind of meter wont' go that low. It's just a "normal" multimeter; it's lowest resolution is 0.01ohms, or 10 milliohms, according to it's specs here:
imgaz.staticbg.com/images/oaupload/banggood/images/D9/A0/988b1c75-b4d4-4cb2-a8aa-1b4d8cea2756.jpg

The cheapest thing I found that *actually* measures low resistances is the DE-5000 Handheld LCR Meter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S298KJO
https://www.deree.com.tw/de-5000-lcr-meter.html
And in regular resistance mode it still only does 1milliohm resolution, so it is still not good enough to measure shunt resistances accurately.

markz   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 10135
Joined: Jan 09 2014 11:38pm
Location: Alberta Canada

Re: 40 amp luna cycle controller specs? Shunt mod?

Post by markz » Aug 01 2020 9:58pm


User avatar
E-HP   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1305
Joined: Nov 01 2018 9:20pm

Re: 40 amp luna cycle controller specs? Shunt mod?

Post by E-HP » Aug 02 2020 11:30am

amberwolf wrote:
Aug 01 2020 9:40pm
E-HP wrote:
Aug 01 2020 12:00am
Not sure if this is considered normal, but I ordered one of these the other day after doing some quick research. Hard to beat for $25 if it turns out to be good:
https://usa.banggood.com/ANENG-AN8008-T ... 57985.html
I don't think it can go lower than 1 mohm though.
EDIT: never mind. the ohm scale doesn't have a lower range.
Unfortunatley, that kind of meter wont' go that low. It's just a "normal" multimeter; it's lowest resolution is 0.01ohms, or 10 milliohms, according to it's specs here:
imgaz.staticbg.com/images/oaupload/banggood/images/D9/A0/988b1c75-b4d4-4cb2-a8aa-1b4d8cea2756.jpg

The cheapest thing I found that *actually* measures low resistances is the DE-5000 Handheld LCR Meter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S298KJO
https://www.deree.com.tw/de-5000-lcr-meter.html
And in regular resistance mode it still only does 1milliohm resolution, so it is still not good enough to measure shunt resistances accurately.
Ya, I got it for the resolution on voltage so I can fine tune the calibration on my lipo charger that goes to 3 decimal point plus a millivolt setting. This had some good reviews and cost less than a decent set of leads. I mistakenly assumed that the resistance had a similar resolution.

Post Reply