a bike for my wife

okp

100 kW
Hey,

My wife is looking for an electric bike to commute to work. It's a short commute (10km) and we are looking to have a baby carrier at the back. She has checked and found some Moustache 28.1 bike but it's expensive (but she like the look)

http://moustachebikes.com/velos-electriques/samedi-28/samedi-28-1-open/

Then as she has progressed, I was wondering why didn't I buy a normal woman bike and stuff it with a bbs02 on 48V or even 36v and add myself the battery.

I went this morning to decathlon and the guy did not advise at all to do so.. but in all honesty, she's going to use it for city commute, not offroad or so.

The only advantage (apart of course being "legal") of buying a bike out of the shelves is that I can benefit from a 500 euros discount (if order in Europe) from the council. So I was even wondering of getting her one, getting that discount and make it evolve over time (but I'm sure it will still fit her requirements as she's not an hardcore rider).

Voilà, some photos of the bikes I've seen this morning but if you have any recommendation I take them !

4f60647a6cbf15fee5297f785ab9996c2fbda045.jpeg

and a non elec one that I can stuff with a bbs01 etc... it seems to be solid but the guy didn't recommend to do so

70e0a889c4f23b7b00bdac7046bb5d78ed99b392.jpeg

okp said:
I went this morning to decathlon and the guy did not advise at all to do so.. but in all honesty, she's going to use it for city commute, not offroad or so.

One advice, don't give an ounce of consideration to the words coming from someone who wants to sell you something, will likely never see you again, and has more lawyers behind them.

I like the Moustache 28.1, nice bike. Don't think if bikes was my business, would recommend for them to do it. When you build one you can plan on what you want. You can always limit power and speed. The Moustache looks like the frame was made for the Bosch motor and you will be locked in with the factory features and Bosch parts until they quit making them. The good thing is if something breaks it is not your fault, you did not build it. :lol:

The great thing about doing it yourself is not being lock in with one company. I can not buy my trike and setup. If they had one it would cost more than would want to spend on one bike.

The white one in the picture, whichever one that is, would be slightly better for a commute to work for one reason, the full chain guard. Sounds unimportant, but not having to tie down your pants is a plus on a daily ride to work.

Moustache looks good too.

The others have more front gears, but the fact is, she will never need the smaller front rings.

Otherwise, all look like good commuter bikes to me, having the rack to carry some panniers or the baby carrier, and the fenders you must have. Look hard at the baby carrier though, it may not fit over that battery rack.

If you did choose to DIY, then all you need is a decent rear geared hub motor with reasonable power ( not the smallest motor made) , and put it on a cruiser type bike. Meaning single front gear, big chain guard, fenders, 7 rear gears, etc, like the other bikes.

Dont choose a bike with a internal rear shifter though, which is common on commuter bikes. You need a common 7 speed rear end to put a hub motor on the bike easy.

NO need to go mid drive, unless you plan on heavy trailer towing, or the hills are very very steep. You just need enough power to haul the baby, 500-800w plenty. That does not mean you can't mid drive it. I just mean a decent hub will do what you require.

If building the bike work everything out before you buy the bike where will the battery go will it fit where will the controller go will it fit if you use a rear motor can the axle nut fit next to the derailleur can they live together sometimes the derailers to close the axle and a nut won't fit.
Work it out before you buy a bike
48v mid Drive would be a lot of fun
Go to your local ebikes door and try out the different styles of bikes rear hub geared motor mid Drive ect. make sure you get a good battery and not some kind of Chinese junk.

Tommm said:
okp said:

One advice, don't give an ounce of consideration to the words coming from someone who wants to sell you something, will likely never see you again, and has more lawyers behind them.

While that’s sound advice, it’s not a given that a bike shop employee “wants” to sell you something. Certainly I’d rather solve somebody’s problem, even if that means not selling him anything, than fail to solve his problem while selling him something.

Maybe that’s related to why I see the same folks again and again.

+1 on the cargo bike. IMO much safer to mount a bike seat to or may have everything you need already mounted. Check Yuba and Tern if they're available in your area. Also, while they sell e-cargo, they also have analog that you could use as a donor.

I don’t know whether Radwagon is available in EU, but if so, it would be very nice to get €500 off that one.

Found:
https://radpowerbikes.eu/products/radwagon-electric-cargo-bike

wow cargo bike would be awesome but it's just a bike for my wife to commute to work in Paris, handle the rainy days. She has a daily overall 20km commute (going to work and back home). The bike will be stored in our apartment. As the weather is starting to get a bit colder/rainy, she has now shortlisted two bikes and in full honesty it's hard for me to help her in making the right choice.

bike 1 : Moustache 28.1 : 1999 euros
bike 2 : Moustache 28.2 : 2599 euros

okp said:
in a dedicated parking - very unlikely that robbery will happen

At a minimum buy a good u-lock like a yellow Kryptonite NYC and hopefully the battery is easily removable. It takes another few seconds to wrap a cable lock to secure the seat and wheels. I'd go for a mid drive even though I'd guess Paris is pretty flat, but there would be a little bit of stop and go for your 10 miles.

exactly mate. a brake blocker alarm is really dissuasive. At the moment the guy try to move the bike it goes 110db.

both Moustache are mid drive, just wondering if the 28.2 (with the battery well integrated) would worth the 500 additional euros

at 2599 euros she is also hesitating with this one

https://moustachebikes.com/velos-electriques/samedi-27-xroad/samedi-27-xroad-1-open/#content

It doesnt matter what you buy, they both are over priced and you can get a much better bike if you build one yourself. If your stuck on buying complete ebike, at a glance I just saw one bike had 500Wh and the other had 400wh battery, a difference of 100wh and 15wh/km is 7km - 10km (10wh/km) difference. Which doesnt mean much when you can go 40 or 50km on a charge for those batteries.

I don't know anything about the specific models, but it's probably worth mentioning that bicycles have more or less the same fit issues whether they have motors or not. One that offers a more pleasant ride for her size and proportions, might make a bigger difference than battery integrated into the down tube or whatever. Partly depending on whether there's going to be any serious pedaling, or if this is more of a sort of electric moped, but even then ... it never seemed quite right to me that motorcycles are one-size-fits-all.

donn said:
it never seemed quite right to me that motorcycles are one-size-fits-all.

Me neither. So for my last motorcycle, I made my own handlebar and risers, machined footpegs with about 1.5" of drop, and had Corbin make me a custom seat that was 2" taller than stock. I made fork triple clamps with a bunch more offset to correct the bike's sluggardly handling while I was at it.

Any bike (pedal or moto) that comes in only one size, is the wrong size for most people.

okp said:
exactly mate. a brake blocker alarm is really dissuasive. At the moment the guy try to move the bike it goes 110db.

both Moustache are mid drive, just wondering if the 28.2 (with the battery well integrated) would worth the 500 additional euros

at 2599 euros she is also hesitating with this one

https://moustachebikes.com/velos-electriques/samedi-27-xroad/samedi-27-xroad-1-open/#content

That's a good looking bike. I like the fatter tires on the 27 since they are hardtails. No question; if it's for the wife, get the nicer ones with the integrated battery. Why would you even question that? :shock:

E-HP said:
No question; if it's for the wife, get the nicer ones with the integrated battery. Why would you even question that? :shock:

Because integrated components are inevitably a wasteful headache. "Because she likes it better" is a perfectly adequate reason to ignore this truth, but if it's all the same, and it's my job to keep the thing running: no proprietary/non-interchangeable stuff, nothing inside the frame, and no hidden wiring.

Balmorhea said:
E-HP said:
No question; if it's for the wife, get the nicer ones with the integrated battery. Why would you even question that? :shock:
Because integrated components are inevitably a wasteful headache. "Because she likes it better" is a perfectly adequate reason to ignore this truth, but if it's all the same, and it's my job to keep the thing running: no proprietary/non-interchangeable stuff, nothing inside the frame, and no hidden wiring.

Sure. Here on the forum, we contribute in any way we can based on our experience. This is not really an ebike question. I don't profess to be an expert, but I do have 39 years of experience being married, and a pretty good track record translating words and actions that wives may display from time to time, into words my friends understand.

she has now shortlisted two bikes and in full honesty it's hard for me to help her in making the right choice

this is pretty straight forward. the wife had made a choice, the bike she wants, and the practical choice. everybody does this, not just wives. but wives want support/validation. most of the time they don't want you to solve the problem (unless it's something like a clogged toilet), but to listen and agree (e.g. ya honey, that sounds so screwed up. you did the right thing....).

"at 2599 euros she is also hesitating with this one"

this is the test, and one you're currently in jeopardy of failing, but you still have time to recover from. right now, here's the unspoken translation: "Uh, what are you waiting for? I can't believe you didn't tell me I should treat myself, and what's 500 euros anyway?"

By telling her that, she gets to feel your support about any choice she makes. She may even go the practical route. If you try to steer her, now you're trying to take over and force a practical solution, no matter how subtly you offer the assistance.

She makes the decision, you support it, period. But, at the same time, you bank 500 of "support" toward some toy or upgrade you're planning on in the future. I see it as a win-win. YMMV

Yep. A happy wife is well worth a sh*t bike if she wants it. Maybe some don’t know yet, the ultimate cost of an unhappy wife. :roll:

awesome insights E-HP, MadRhino, Markz, Balmorhea, Donn.

Big thank you. I really like all the psychology message which is definitely spot on.

I'm also a better fan of visible batterie etc cause I can fix it easily but here it's gonna be a bike under warranty.

She's going for this one : https://moustachebikes.com/velos-electriques/samedi-27-xroad/samedi-27-xroad-1-open/#content

I'll keep you posted but since then huge thanks for the cool interactions !

stay safe folks!!!

Back