Hall sensor repair..quick question

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
Post Reply
ebike11   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1470
Joined: Nov 16 2013 8:01pm
Location: far away

Hall sensor repair..quick question

Post by ebike11 » Sep 27 2020 6:58am

Hi guys
Im replacing 2 sets of hall sensors on another qs205 motor. I know there may be an obvious answer but with the motor totally out of the magnet ring/housing..and connected to the bike for testing, if the hall sensors are replaced and functioning normally, and still show "hall error" in the bluetooth app, is it because the magnetic ring must be installed as well for the hall sensor error to go away or does it matter?
I only have the motor at the moment. The rest of the housing and covers are at my friends place. So i cant put the motor back into the magnetic housing at the moment
Thanks

User avatar
MadRhino   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7023
Joined: Sep 03 2010 5:28pm
Location: Montreal QC Canada

Re: Hall sensor repair..quick question

Post by MadRhino » Sep 27 2020 8:10am

Hall sensors don’t even need to be installed to be tested. If they are testing good, you don’t need to re-assemble the motor to conclude that it is the controller (or wiring) that is at fault.
Make it fool-proof, and I will make a better fool.
Current bikes
Street:
Trek Session 10 mod. Variable geometry. 70mph
Dirt:
Santa Cruz V10. 50mph

ebike11   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1470
Joined: Nov 16 2013 8:01pm
Location: far away

Re: Hall sensor repair..quick question

Post by ebike11 » Sep 27 2020 9:36am

MadRhino wrote:
Sep 27 2020 8:10am
Hall sensors don’t even need to be installed to be tested. If they are testing good, you don’t need to re-assemble the motor to conclude that it is the controller (or wiring) that is at fault.
Hi again!!
The motor is from my friends friend and he said the motor stopped working and said if i could fix it then i could get it for cheap. I figured the halls are the reason that the motor isnt turning and he said that too. I thought id replace them anyway trusting what he said. I dont have any information about how the guy had it connected.
Its too late now though as the motor is apart so im replacing the halls and order some statorade.
I did replace the halls on 1 side since the qs205 has 2 sets. I decided to directly disconnect my qs205 which is running fine on my bike and install this one. I am getting a hall error so it must be it coz my bikes system is running smoothly. Bascially i just swapped motors.
I will replace the other side as well and hopefully at least 1 set will work. I just was wondering if the halls had to be in the magnetic ring to read/function properly

markz   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 10979
Joined: Jan 09 2014 11:38pm
Location: Alberta Canada

Re: Hall sensor repair..quick question

Post by markz » Sep 27 2020 3:08pm

https://www.ebikes.ca/learn/troubleshooting.html
PDF - Testing for a Defective Hall Sensor

PDF - Repairing a defective hall sensor

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 14654
Joined: May 20 2008 12:58am
Location: Paradise

Re: Hall sensor repair..quick question

Post by John in CR » Sep 27 2020 5:20pm

Did you test to be sure that it's not a hall wire problem instead of the sensor? In 12 years of ebiking with many bikes I've never had a hall failure. In the early years I did heat a motor up enough to melt the halls wires up enough where they go thru the axle to melt the insulation a bit making it fragile, which eventually cause a hall error even though the sensors themselves were fine.

qwerkus   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 590
Joined: Jul 22 2017 4:00am

Re: Hall sensor repair..quick question

Post by qwerkus » Sep 27 2020 5:25pm

John in CR wrote:
Sep 27 2020 5:20pm
Did you test to be sure that it's not a hall wire problem instead of the sensor? In 12 years of ebiking with many bikes I've never had a hall failure. In the early years I did heat a motor up enough to melt the halls wires up enough where they go thru the axle to melt the insulation a bit making it fragile, which eventually cause a hall error even though the sensors themselves were fine.
Just had my first hall failure. Reason was not overheating but a short in the hall wires. AFAIK that's a pretty common issue, especially on motor coming with non wp plugs.

User avatar
Hwy89   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 486
Joined: Mar 03 2013 9:52pm
Location: Northern Arizona

Re: Hall sensor repair..quick question

Post by Hwy89 » Sep 27 2020 6:22pm

Yes I think it is quite possible that the controller and display could give the hall sensor error if the stator is outside of the magnet rotor. At any point in the rotation one of the hall will be conducting. The software would see it as an error if none are.

ebike11   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1470
Joined: Nov 16 2013 8:01pm
Location: far away

Re: Hall sensor repair..quick question

Post by ebike11 » Sep 27 2020 8:04pm

markz wrote:
Sep 27 2020 3:08pm
https://www.ebikes.ca/learn/troubleshooting.html
PDF - Testing for a Defective Hall Sensor

PDF - Repairing a defective hall sensor
Thx
The motor is totally out of the wheel and rotor so i only have the stator itself at the moment. I cant turn the wheel to get a hall sensor reading

markz   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 10979
Joined: Jan 09 2014 11:38pm
Location: Alberta Canada

Re: Hall sensor repair..quick question

Post by markz » Sep 27 2020 11:27pm

ebike11 wrote:
Sep 27 2020 8:04pm
Thx
The motor is totally out of the wheel and rotor so i only have the stator itself at the moment. I cant turn the wheel to get a hall sensor reading
A fridge magnet can work.

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 14654
Joined: May 20 2008 12:58am
Location: Paradise

Re: Hall sensor repair..quick question

Post by John in CR » Sep 28 2020 12:59am

qwerkus wrote:
Sep 27 2020 5:25pm
John in CR wrote:
Sep 27 2020 5:20pm
Did you test to be sure that it's not a hall wire problem instead of the sensor? In 12 years of ebiking with many bikes I've never had a hall failure. In the early years I did heat a motor up enough to melt the halls wires up enough where they go thru the axle to melt the insulation a bit making it fragile, which eventually cause a hall error even though the sensors themselves were fine.
Just had my first hall failure. Reason was not overheating but a short in the hall wires. AFAIK that's a pretty common issue, especially on motor coming with non wp plugs.
Do people really ride in wet conditions without protection over the cheapie common hall plugs? Back when I used them I taped them up pretty good, overlapping the tape in the right direction like shingles so water didn't get underneath. After getting blown controllers from pushing them to the limits out of my system in the early years I started hard wiring everything...got sick of those blobs in my wiring. Our systems are just too simple to demand anything less than absolute reliability, and a little extra time spent up front saves headaches and more time later. I'd much rather work on the next build than repair an old one.

ebike11   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1470
Joined: Nov 16 2013 8:01pm
Location: far away

Re: Hall sensor repair..quick question

Post by ebike11 » Sep 28 2020 2:17am

markz wrote:
Sep 27 2020 11:27pm
ebike11 wrote:
Sep 27 2020 8:04pm
Thx
The motor is totally out of the wheel and rotor so i only have the stator itself at the moment. I cant turn the wheel to get a hall sensor reading
A fridge magnet can work.
when using a multimeter, i get 5V on all black and red wires at the hall 3 prong arms.
when i touch black and color..im getting 3.10V on all 6 halls. ( 2sets of halls on my motor)
Is this a normal reading? thx

User avatar
TommyCat   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 429
Joined: Jan 22 2018 8:05pm
Location: North-west Illinois, USA

Re: Hall sensor repair..quick question

Post by TommyCat » Sep 28 2020 4:13pm

The output voltage should switch between 5vdc and 0 vdc per the magnet polarity influence. And with the proper pull down resistance...

Image


See this thread for details on checking a motor's hall sensors with or with-out the controller connected.
https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/ki ... and-wiring



Regards,
T.C.
See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub E-Bike build Here!

Post Reply