E-Trike

RickA

10 µW
I have been doing a bunch of research on e-trikes but I find that most sites are very biased. I own a Hase Lupas but, due to health issues, I want to move to a power assist tadpole trike. Most of my riding is on paved roads but I want to do more on gravel roads/paths. Can someone recommend a quality trike. Cheers

I'm not as bad off as you. Was bed ridden most of the day but my e-trike give me some freedom. I need a reclined seat to spend any time on a bike/trike.

I do not know of any low quality trikes, not saying they don't exist. First do you want to purchased a trike that is power assisted from the company or get a trike and put a kit or DIY.

Trikes cost more than most bikes and fewer are made and only part of them are e-trikes. Good news there are more everyday.

Some trikes are more fragile than others, nothing to do with cost or quality. Weight and speed, road and off road. They come in carbon fiber, aluminum, chromemoly steel and titanium. Most are a mixture of the two.

The best e-trike will be the one that fits your needs. How much weight the trike needs to carry, can you do direct steering or need Under seat steering. Not saying one is better than the other. How do you plan to use it. Is it flat or hilly. Cost is a big factor but would not judge the trike on cost. What are your laws and do you plan to follow them or have something more flexible.

Thanks for the response ZeroEm. I know that a new quality one is expensive so I am looking to buy one that is gently used. I would rather buy one that has the company installed power assist. I am less than 200 pounds and would rarely carry any extra weight. I like the under steering of my Hase so I would like to stick with that. There are a lot of hills here which is one of the main reasons for looking into acquiring a power assist. I have never seen an E-Trike here so the police are probably very unfamiliar with the laws for their use so I am very flexible WRT the laws. I hope I have answered all your questions. Cheers

Thanks for the response ZeroEm. I know that a new quality one is expensive so I am looking to buy one that is gently used. I would rather buy one that has the company installed power assist. I am less than 200 pounds and would rarely carry any extra weight. I like the under steering of my Hase so I would like to stick with that. There are a lot of hills here which is one of the main reasons for looking into acquiring a power assist. I have never seen an E-Trike here so the police are probably very unfamiliar with the laws for their use so I am very flexible WRT the laws. I hope I have answered all your questions. Cheers

Don't know home many used E-trikes you will find. I'm guessing your not in the USA. We have a paved bike trail system. Have met with a few riding factory e-trikes, less than five. I bought a performer trike from Twain that is sold at lightfoot cycles here in the USA, thought it was cheap and did not want to get to much in one before trying a trike. Road it for a short while then upgraded it to an E-trike, have over 4000 km on it now and wrecked (barrel roll) it and only broke the mirrors and my ribs. The trike has been great and would not call it cheap but it did cost less than other trikes but they don't sell a tadpole E-trike.

Would stick with a trike that is well known and can get parts for, there is a hand full of them.
Other here should chime in. Don't think there will be any factory E-trikes.

So what country you live in?

Looked, guess not hard enough. maybe goatman knows where he can pick up a used e-trike.
To me most used trikes cost so much, would just buy a new one. you never know, deals are out there some buy trikes and never use them.

Balmorhea you see many used trikes or any E-Trikes?

ZeroEm said:
Balmorhea you see many used trikes or any E-Trikes?

I don’t see used trikes come up for sale until after they’ve been left outside until they’re more or less destroyed. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a used recumbent trike for sale locally.

In the shop, I see lots of rotten granny trikes, but hardly any recumbent trikes. There is a recumbent specialty shop in town, so I assume he picks up that business.

I have seen no commercial e-trikes here at all, but a few conversions. I’ve done a few conversions for customers, too. I did one Terra Trike with a Bafang rear hub motor and one Sun granny trike with a Heinzmann front hub motor recently, both shortly before the plague came around.

i see youre in canada, catrikes come up for sale quite often in Vancouver. if you get a 26 inch rear tire. you can put on a 24x3.0 fat tire on the rear to add some cushioning.

Catrike is one of the makes that I am watching for. Thanks for the info guys.

The Hase looks like a nice trike. Ever think about making it into a E-trike? There was someone looking for a Trike like the Hase few weeks ago. Big difference between Delta and a tadpole you need to get the front wheels in line and keep weight towards front wheels.
To watch for used Trikes;
www.recumbents.com
there is Ebay but the ones that I looked at were damaged frames cracked or other issues.
Used Outrider-Love these trikes

I like Catrikes they sell a front suspension for there trikes. I think others are just as good for the money,
I was doing as you are now last year and decided to get a performer for $1700 and put $1400 in motor, battery and controller.
Which is still cheaper than a used catrike with out assist.

Hello what's these and what it's for
https://lunacycle.com/parts/cyclone-parts/cyclone-double-sprocket-kit-for-trikes-recumbents-and-pedicabs/

Thanks for the info Zero. I will check out that site and I thought about making mine an e-trike but I think I would rather a tadpole set-up. Catrike, Terratrike and a few other companies sell them new but they are pricey.

Not an expert on this but will tell what I know. A mount like this is mostly for a midmotor. Double gears are used for different reasons; run double free wheels, in case one locks up. Can run different size sprockets to gear up or down, so you don't need to run a 11T or smaller or a huge chain ring. Last not to have such a long chain for different reasons, some recumbent's are long and have tenson issues with wide gear ranges. Now they sell more add on's to deal with some of this.

Back