Geared Hub Motor for 135MM FRONT dropouts

wozzlegummich

100 µW
I've got a MATE X E-Bike powered by a Shengyi 500w hub motor. In the interests of staying reasonably stealthy, I would like to fit a 500W small, black geared hub motor. Trouble is a 48V 500W hub motor for a front wheel with 135MM dropouts are like hen's teeth if not impossible to find. My fingers are sore from all the Googling.

My question is, can a REAR 48V 500W 135mm Geared hub motor be used in a front wheel setup? I have been told that maybe a freewheel type of hub (as opposed to cassette type) may be able to fit but I really wasn't sure of the advice.

wozzlegummich said:
My question is, can a REAR 48V 500W 135mm Geared hub motor be used in a front wheel setup? I have been told that maybe a freewheel type of hub (as opposed to cassette type) may be able to fit but I really wasn't sure of the advice.

Get a rear hub motor with freewheel threading. They are usually better centered.
2 things though:
- setting up a disc brake will be a pain. Distance rotor - caliper is different on the front wheel (only 10mm vs 15 rear). You'll need a spacer.
- use at least on torque arm: forks are even more prone to bending / outright braking than rear dropouts

Use atleast one torque arm, but two is better.

I have used my rear leaf hub motor on the front fork of a fat bike without any problems. My torque arms were 1/4"x1"x4" steel plate with notches ground out with a angle grinder for the axle, and notches to hold in place the hose clamp.

It's expensive, but I think the Grin "All Axle Motor" would work here. Grin also has pre-fabricated 1/4" steel torque arms.

Bigwheel said:
leisesturm said:
It's expensive, but I think the Grin "All Axle Motor" would work here. Grin also has pre-fabricated 1/4" steel torque arms.

All Axle motors are 100mm.

https://ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-products/all-axle-hub-motor.html

The All Axle motor is a direct-drive front hub that we designed to be universally compatible with all the variety of quick release and thru-axle front fork standards that exist in the bike world these days, as well as many single side mounts for trike and quad vehicles. The round hollow axle means that the motor produces no spreading forces on slotted dropouts, and instead is able to transfer all the torque safely to the fork blade via a built-in torque arm.

edit - The [...quote]
I didnt notice the wheel misaligned to the top tube with a rear freewheel hub placed on the front of my Costco fat bike. I will have to check that once I can get into the garage. I have been stuck in the basement for the last 2 months and shouldnt be long before I'm 100%.

Any geared motor made for rear 135 mm dropouts works fine in front on 135 mm front forks. Typical application is a fat bike.

Just remove the freewheel, or cassette. No need at all to buy anything exotic.

If its a disc fork, it should line up fine.

markz said:
Bigwheel said:
leisesturm said:

All Axle motors are 100mm.

https://ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-products/all-axle-hub-motor.html

The All Axle motor is a direct-drive front hub that we designed to be universally compatible with all the variety of quick release and thru-axle front fork standards that exist in the bike world these days, as well as many single side mounts for trike and quad vehicles. The round hollow axle means that the motor produces no spreading forces on slotted dropouts, and instead is able to transfer all the torque safely to the fork blade via a built-in torque arm.

edit - The [...quote]
I didnt notice the wheel misaligned to the top tube with a rear freewheel hub placed on the front of my Costco fat bike. I will have to check that once I can get into the garage. I have been stuck in the basement for the last 2 months and shouldnt be long before I'm 100%.

I stand corrected. I've had one since the beta phase and hadn't looked at the new wording. It does make sense that adapters could be made but I can't figure out how they work due to disc caliper to rotor alignment other than the wheel would have to sit offset in the fork with a long adapter on the other side? I'm sure they have it figured out and I'm not in the market anyway. Winter is for skiing.

Back