Upgrade old battery or get new one?

unclejemima

100 W
I've got a battery on my ebike from around 2012 that I originally purchased from Legrand at Lectric Cycle...(what happened to those guys...can't seem to find if they are still in business?)

Anyhow...its a 48v unit around 11.6ah and it does not hold its charge.

Is it possible to just get a new battery and retain the case/bms/etc? Or is it just cheaper to buy an entire new battery/bottle mount?

Are new batteries with similar size and weight getting more AH? Or is the tech similar from 2012 in that respect?

Here's what she looks like...(attached)
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg

You can probably get 17Ah from good cells, in a pack of that size. Unless you have the equipment to test cells and assemble the pack (spot welder, etc), then getting a new pack seems to make more sense, unless the bike uses a proprietary pack and interface with the bike controller.

Ok. Its a BBS02...so I think that as long as it has a BMS in it, should be good?

Where does one buy bike batteries now-a-days? Any good Canadian dealers that I can be pointed to?

Anyone know what happened to Lectric Cycle?

Thanks!

Canadian ebike parts reseller well that would be our hero Justin at ebikes.ca. The guy that runs this website more or less. In silence.

Thank you!

Found this one to be my closest choice on the ebike.ca site. My wife is not going to be happy with me lol. It's over $1000...but I suppose the AH is improved from my 11.6 up to 16.5. Is this the going rate for a good battery now-a-days?

https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/batteries/48v-16-5ah-downtube-battery.html

But should I be selecting a 48v or 52v battery? I thought they were the same thing?

Its a BBS02 750w unit I'm running for a motor.

Thanks guys.

if you live in the lower mainland of BC
you can give Phenom battery your case and he will build you one to fit your case

https://www.facebook.com/phenombattery/

If you go to Amazon canada, there are other batteries.

https://www.amazon.ca/Battery-Lithium-Electric-Bicycle-Protection/dp/B086D1X7XL/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=ebike%2Bbattery&qid=1617939370&sr=8-2-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQTY5RFJURDVSTjZXJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDg1NTAxQVJFVTgyRzUwWjU5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTEwNDE4MzAyVzBDUEhZOTgxUVlNJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

One thing about a Grin battery, I could probably store it under my bed at night, but I have no problem keeping a somelwhat less expensive battery out in the garage, maybe inside two $2 cinder block s if I want it fireproof.

Thanks guys.

This could be a good t-shirt slogan "One thing about a Grin battery, I could probably store it under my bed at night" lol.

Thats a good point and I get the ones from Grin have to be better. I will do some soul searching (and wallet searching) and come up with a decision in the next few days.

Thank you again!

Back