How to guess wiring for three speed switch

999zip999

100 TW
I Have a lyen 12 fet with a 3-speed big white connector the wire colors are red black green. My three speed QS throttle with off/ on button has three wires for three speed switch has three wires green yellow brown. I believe I could wrongly connected and we'll just get funky on the button on the handle bar but can I do any damage by connecting the wrong wire to the wrong thing on a 3-speed switch ? Thanks

Do you have a digital multi-meter?
If so put it on diode buzz sound and figure it out.

999zip999 said:
I Have a lyen 12 fet with a 3-speed big white connector the wire colors are red black green. My three speed QS throttle with off/ on button has three wires for three speed switch has three wires green yellow brown. I believe I could wrongly connected and we'll just get funky on the button on the handle bar but can I do any damage by connecting the wrong wire to the wrong thing on a 3-speed switch ? Thanks

On the 3 speed plugs I've messed with, the center hole was the ground, and could be tested by jumpering the center hole to either of the outer ones with a bent paperclip or something similar, with the wheel in the air to figure out which outer hole is medium and which one is high.

The center one is negative and so each of the sides are positive one of one voltage and one of a different voltage ?
I was able to get three different readings from the switch side and I guess I could try to look up or contact Len and find out how his wires are but I guess I should just think that his center one on the big white 3-speed switch coming from the controller would be neutral and the other two wires are you there flip left left for flip right right all but I don't know how to find what is the neutral on the 3-speed switch from the handlebars ??? What would it hurt if I touch the two wrong wires together ?

To test to handlebar switch, unplug it and use the continuity setting on your meter. One probe on the center and then touching the two outer ones one at a time. No connection to either outer one is the neutral position for the switch.

Or maybe it won't be the center, but one switch position should make it where none of the three wires coming out have connection between them.

I don't know if hooking the two outer ones up at the same time can't hurt anything, but it's def not designed for that.
Pictures are always good👍

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=213343&mode=view
This is the same throttle 3-speed switch and off and on button and that is the wiring but I don't know how to give you the picture he has it there and I hope it's transferred verbal will see you can see it but that's the best I can do.

999zip999 said:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=213343&mode=view
This is the same throttle 3-speed switch and off and on button and that is the wiring but I don't know how to give you the picture he has it there and I hope it's transferred verbal will see you can see it but that's the best I can do.

It looks like the brown wire goes to the wire that tested as ground on the controller end. You can test the other two by hooking them up and seeing if flipping the switch to high, sets the controller to high. If not, swap those wires.

For what it's worth, a Lyen manual online indicates black wire for ground - no mention of a 3-speed switch, but black grounds on everything else.

The "continuity" test may look like Ω on your tester.

Okay so the green on the switch and the black from the Lynn controller or both common or neutral or negative but the other two wires what happens when I touch them together I was trying to find out if there would be any negative effects say if I happened to us are they just both voltages but of lower voltage like a resistor in there I don't get it

I found this
3-speed switch with Lyen controller
The controller came without the 3-speed pigtail to connect to. Lyen's been great, and in several days time I received a pigtail to solder onto the board.

The wiring for this controller is:
wire color > controller board hole location
red x1
green x2
black gnd
From Lyen: The way it works is speed mode 1 is the program engaged when the X1 and GND is shorted on the controller board, open = speed mode 2, and X2 short to the GND is speed mode 3
The reason I'm so careful as I only have two working controllers as I know.

Back