CA3 flashing at 75 km/h

goatman

10 MW
i was going down a hill, looked at the ca3 and the 75 km/h was flashing, no flashing at 74 km/h or less

could this have anything to do with the field weakening in the Phaserunner?

i could see if it happens again tomorrow, im not usually looking at the ca3 at those speeds

this is on the trike
ca3 should be at 99

same hill if im pulling a trailer, i hit 76 km/h no issues

with no trailer but my top/windshield on, my max is 73km/h on that hill, no issues

its been warm all week so i took the top off and kept the nose fairing on
im saving 10% on my ah usage
i was using 12.6ah over 36km
now im at 10.5 to 11ah for 36km

i think im at the end/max of my field weakening/speed
if it happens again tomorrow ill add more amps to my field weakening (higher top speed) and see if it goes away

The Cycle Analyst cannot communicate with the controller, so it has no way to know anything about FW or anything set in the controller, so it can't be anything to do with that.

If you look at the Grin v3 CA info page
https://ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-products/cycle-analyst-3.html
you'll find this under the Display #1 – Main Screen heading:
Also note that if you exceed the speed limit, then the speed units will flash, and if you hit the battery low voltage cutoff then the voltage sign will flash. If you are below the minimum start speed, then the speed number itself will flash

So if it's the "KMH" that's flashing, then it's over the speed limit set in the CA.

If it's the "75" that's flashing, then you're below the minimum start speed set in the CA, but that would be flashing the whole time until you reach that speed.

If the speed limit is set higher than 75 but it's still flashing the KMH at that speed, then there's something else going on you'd have to contact Grin Tech about, or try noting down all your CA settings, then reset it to defaults, and then manually set it back up to your original settings (in case something is corrupt).

75 was flashing
i was in the ca3 software a month ago changing ohms to 1.0 for the PR controller
and soldering i think r to w to change the backlight
maybe i did something else too :shock:
thanks

look at the ca3 before leaving
speed limit 199
full throttle same area, it was flashing

im thinking thats just my max speed, 74,75 and the ca3 couldnt decide yesterday if it wanted to go to 74 or stay at 75
ill add a couple amps to max field weakening and see what happens tomorrow

It happened to me I set my Max speed to low and I went over my top max speed . I was told I have to put it on the computer and reset it and the flashing won't come on again. No speeding.

connected PR to laptop
there was an overvolt fault, cant remember exactly what it said
cleared faults
raised my watts from 3000 to 3200
raised field weakening from 10.5 amps to 15amps
same hill max speed was 71km/h
i think i just started making heat at 15 amps
got home, connected bike
no faults
lowered field weakening to 11.5amps
see what happens tomorrow

Since I'm assuming your ride tomorrow is to work and not a test, wouldn't it be better to keep the field weakening closer to the successful 15 rather than to the in question 10.5? Perhaps 13.5 for the moment? Just to get home close to trouble free.

The whole time I've been recovering I've been reading you guys with more advanced equipment than I ever had, all the programming and lack of understanding of it all is making me wish I'd had the chance to blunder in a bit before I got hurt, maybe it would seem less scarey. But brushed motors stink compared to some of this.

i was originally at 10.5 amps and 3000 watts and top speed was 75 km/h
yesterday i went 15amps and 3200 watts and top speed was 71 km/h

i read somewhere if you add too many field weakening amps, all you do is make heat

so i figured, back off to 11.5 amps

i really should get the adapter to plug the PR into my cell phone

Just keep in mind that nothing you are doing in the controller has anything to do with the CA flashing it's speed, because the CA cannot know anything about the controller stuff. ;)

amberwolf said:
Just keep in mind that nothing you are doing in the controller has anything to do with the CA flashing it's speed, because the CA cannot know anything about the controller stuff. ;)

ya, i was thinking it was just trying decide if it wanted to stay 75 or go 74 but stayed 75

but now im trying to see how much speed i can get out of the PR with different field weakening amps

i raised the output to 3200 watts from 3000 and raised the field weakening from 10.5 to 15amps and wound up going slower???
didnt bother trying today
ill try it monday

checked the ca3 before leaving and top speed said 674, had the same thing happen last summer
so i cleared it

went to a different hill i normally hit 72 km/h on
this time the max speed was 69.8 km/h and the kp/h was flashing

ca3 speed limit is 199
PR speed limit is 99

im going to hook the ca3 to the laptop and reset it and put the field weakening back to 10.5 amps

goatman said:
checked the ca3 before leaving and top speed said 674, had the same thing happen last summer

That indicates a problem with the speedo input. Usually this is noise on the input signal--if it's a hall sensor in the motor, it can be noise induced from the phase wires, which can usually be fixed by adding a tiny 0.1uf cap from that signal wire to ground at the CA connector. If it's a separate speedo with magnet on a spoke/etc., then the magnet could be slightly misaligned, so that most of the time it correctly activates and deactivates the reed switch, but sometimes there is enough vibration on the magnet or sensor just as the magnet passes the sensor to "chatter" the switch (whcih is mechanical, not electronic). It can also be a very slight connection problem, usually at the CA connector for hall sensor as speedo, or inside the reed switch module for a separate speedo.

Back