juniper motor from ASI

goatman

10 MW
No but i want one.
All those poles make it a torque monster. The very tight wound stator means you don't pay an efficiency penalty .
I would bet that the laminations are razor thin which is an improvement over everything else on the market.

It would probably rip in a 20 inch wheel... just add ferrofluid :shock:

I've sent an inquiry about the price.

Attached is the spec sheet.

Attachments

• asi_juniper_motor_spec_sheet.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
I wonder if they have different windings available. The one in the spec sheet would reach ~36 mph @ 48V with a 26" wheel, ~28 mph with a 20" wheel. This is good for a street legal setup, but if one wants to go faster, they'll need to run a higher voltage pack. If one could get away with running 96V, it would be ideal for a velomobile, and probably make 3-5 kW peak power.

If they're achieving such high efficiency from 0.5mm lams, i'm legitimately stunned.
Those laminations look finer than that to my eye, but the caliper doesn't lie.

I'll call them today.

Okay. Talked to an engineer over there.

Couldn't get a stator lamination spec out of them, sadly.
Stated peak efficiency figure of 92% seems unclear; the motor graph shows peaking at 85% efficiency or so.
85% efficiency would mean larsb's thought of 0.5mm lams is true.

The high pole count means low end torque will be consistently impressive and i get the impression this is a motor designed to squeeze the most power out of a ~500w limitation. The weight is exceptionally low for a DD of this size, so there's some good materials choices or design choices that aren't apparent from the pictures.

I think it could be a good motor in some use cases, but doesn't strike me as an exceptional motor.

I suggested some design changes, but it seems that production of the motor is halted for the time being, so who knows what lies in the future for ASI's hub motors.

It actually looks quite a bit like later gen Stromer motors, that had a similar circular plug with the flip out metal pull handle, and four bolt brake rotor... Not an easy replacement item to find btw, I think it's a Magura thing?

Is this the same ASI motor in Grin's motor simulator?
The windings are very nice. compared it to the 1500w leaf and the efficiency seems just a bit less. ASI clams 1450w motor.
was thinking it would pair up good with Grin's all axel motor. pair of light weights with good performance.

Back