KT controllers, can you configure watts delivered at various levels?

cgokey

1 W
I'm looking at a fairly inexpensive kit which includes a KT controller.
https://tinyurl.com/5y2zpdka

Does anyone know if these KT controllers can be configured to produce different watts on different levels? It is a 1000W motor, so would like to see level 1 to only produce low amount of watts.

Anyone have this kit and what has been your experience with it? I've heard KT controllers provide some flexibility.

Thanks,
Chris

The 3 speed function on those controllers can’t be programmed for power, only speed limitations. But, riding slower does consume lesser average power. Still, even when set to slower top speed, the motor will pull all the current that a controller can feed when motion resistance is hard enough.

The ebay details says it comes with the LCD3 and dual voltage controller. I've owned a lot of the LCD3's. It has 5 PAS levels, but while you can configure it (using the C5 parameter) anywhere from 50% to 100% of the rated current, the setting applies to all 5 PAS levels, and does not affect the throttle power. I've used this feature, and it does work well.

Thus if you wanted to halve the wattage in PAS1, you do so for PAS5. The various levels are already set for some percentage of the maximum current. On my 22A KT controller, with C5 set for max current, level 1 is about 100-120W. When I changed it to a 25A controller, level 1 was 140-160W. I set C5 to lower that to 100-120W to keep the same bike speed.

The LCD has a speed limiter you can set. I don't recall ever using it, but I believe it works.

If you really wanted to get into it, users have written firmware for the KT series controllers that could probably do what you want.

docw009 said:
The ebay details says it comes with the LCD3 and dual voltage controller. I've owned a lot of the LCD3's. It has 5 PAS levels, but while you can configure it (using the C5 parameter) anywhere from 50% to 100% of the rated current, the setting applies to all 5 PAS levels, and does not affect the throttle power. I've used this feature, and it does work well.

Thus if you wanted to halve the wattage in PAS1, you do so for PAS5. The various levels are already set for some percentage of the maximum current. On my 22A KT controller, with C5 set for max current, level 1 is about 100-120W. When I changed it to a 25A controller, level 1 was 140-160W. I set C5 to lower that to 100-120W to keep the same bike speed.

The LCD has a speed limiter you can set. I don't recall ever using it, but I believe it works.

If you really wanted to get into it, users have written firmware for the KT series controllers that could probably do what you want.

I think C4 can be changed so that the throttle power is also controlled by the PAS level settings.

E-HP said:
docw009 said:
The ebay details says it comes with the LCD3 and dual voltage controller. I've owned a lot of the LCD3's. It has 5 PAS levels, but while you can configure it (using the C5 parameter) anywhere from 50% to 100% of the rated current, the setting applies to all 5 PAS levels, and does not affect the throttle power. I've used this feature, and it does work well. .

I think C4 can be changed so that the throttle power is also controlled by the PAS level settings.

I believe you're right. I only get about 680W on throttle with my 25A controller bike set to 70% power. It should be up around 900-1000W like the other 25A controller.

First, low speed power with a 1000w direct drive hub isn't too big a deal. Not too intimidating at all. It's not until it gets up above 10mph that it starts coming into it's efficiency range.

Second, I have/had several bikes with KT controllers, and really enjoy them. For adjusting power, agree that all individual PAS levels are going to be set at the same time. You can't do something with PAS 1 and not affect PAS 2 for instance.

That said, you CAN limit available power to the motor (across all PAS levels) using C5. Do that to get you into the right ball park. THEN, you can use C14 to do your fine tuning. Takes a little "tweaking" to understand what's happening, but safe to say you'll find something that will put a grin on your face.

Bottom line, don't avoid the kit because it comes with a KT controller and display.

You might consider a gear driven hub for a little peppier low speed/hill climbing performance though....

Thanks everyone, I've got one of those voilamart 1000w motors and the controller it came with is terrible. There is no way I can configure the existing controller to output any less watts even across the board like the KT controllers. I'm hoping it all works and can just hook up the KT controller with the existing motor, but if not, just decided to order the full kit in any case, doesn't hurt to have backup parts.... It looks like others have done this as well:
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/power-issues-with-voilamart-kit.40299/

Probably be back to ask questions after it comes, but thanks for the input thus far.

Chris

cgokey said:
Thanks everyone, I've got one of those voilamart 1000w motors and the controller it came with is terrible. There is no way I can configure the existing controller to output any less watts even across the board like the KT controllers. I'm hoping it all works and can just hook up the KT controller with the existing motor, but if not, just decided to order the full kit in any case, doesn't hurt to have backup parts.... It looks like others have done this as well:
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/power-issues-with-voilamart-kit.40299/

I have a voilamart on a kt on one of my bikes. I downgraded to a 22a and you definitely feel the loss of power off the line. once it gets going not so bad. kind of like a 2 stroke dirtbike. In general though, it sucks with less

You will have to hack apart the throttle/power switch/batt indicator if your kit wasn't the lcd equipped kit if you want to reuse the throttle but other than that it was pretty much p+p.

Back