Is it possible to upgrade segway x160 battery and controller?

scubaSteve1

1 µW
I have seen numerous discussions and videos on Sur Ron battery and BAC upgrades but nothing on the Segway. I want a Sur Ron but cant find one anywhere at the moment, but do see the Segway is available in my area.

Figured I could buy the cheaper x160 and upgrade the battery to 72V and throw in a BAC 8000 controller, but not sure if these upgrades are possible on the Segway (since they use an app to control the settings). Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

Yeah. Was just thinking since I wanted to swap out the battery and controller anyway, I could save a few bucks by getting the x160. Just wasn't sure if there was some limiting factors with upgrading the Segway (vs the Sur Ron), given the segway settings are controlled via a phone application.

If the motor is exactly the same, then you can do all the same upgrades. I'm not sure if the motor is the same though. From random pictures, it appears to be the same, but I can't measure anything. It's possible someone has dissected one already but I haven't seen it.

Ya be careful I almost ordered an X160 also until I realized it came with 17" wheels instead of 19" that alone is not worth it to me

scubaSteve1 said:

With the X160 it’s a shorter wheelbase, shorter bike, smaller tires. I know a lot of people buy these for their kids. There sur Ron and Segway are already too small so buying the x160 would not be wise unless you’re really short.

Also the Bluetooth feature you’re referring to is connected with the controller. You’re suggesting changing the controller so that Bluetooth feature would be gone, but a lot of controllers have Bluetooth feature. I don’t have any technical information on the upgraded controller for the sur Ron but I know it’s adjustable.

I'm sure the shorter wheel base is just the front forks used on the bike, I doubt they re-designed the entire frame/swingarm just to put smaller wheels on the bike. So you could technically upgrade the bike to be the same size but it would cost way more than your saving by cheaping out. The battery and controller are a whole different discussion so if you already know you want more power just buy the Sur-ron X the new 2021 has the electronic throttle too!

Back