Thumb switch for Cycle Analyst

JackFlorey

100 kW
The latest Cycle Analyst I got (CA3-WP) came with a four button thumb switch. The top orange button controls power on/off. The Menu button cycles through the menus (it looks like it duplicates the right menu button under the CA screen.) Those work fine.

There are two other buttons on that remote - up and down. I assumed that they replicated the right and left buttons, but the Menu button already does the right button. And when I press either one the CA does a hard reset.

Anyone know what they are for and/or how they work?

IDK but I have one on the way to find out. Following for info.

I think I figured it out. Those two buttons go to the AUX line and pull them up or down. I also have an AUX analog input connected to the CA (that knob that ebikes.ca sells) and it was set to 0. So the wiper of the pot was at ground, which means that the AUX line is at ground, and when you press a button that tries to pull AUX to 5V, you get a short from ground to +5V and that glitches the controller. When I disconnected the pot it worked fine.

The manual has a diagram showing how to connect both the digital buttons and the analog input to the same AUX line but I think that's inadvisable based on what I saw.

It's in the manual here:

https://ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-products/cycle-analyst-3.html#SetupAuxD

You can configure the up/down buttons to adjust various factors related to max assistance. You can choose whether they adjust:

• Off: The installed control remains configured but is deactivated. [Default]
  • Presets: The control selects the current preset. The console button 'hot swap' capability is unaffected and operates normally.
  • Amps Lim: The Digital Aux control applies a scaling factor to further reduce the MaxCurrent limit.
  • Speed Lim: The Digital Aux control applies a scaling factor to further reduce the MaxSpeed limit.
  • Power Lim: The Digital Aux control applies a scaling factor to further reduce the MaxPower limit.
  • ThrO Lim: The Aux control applies a scaling factor to the configured MaxOut voltage. This has the effect of limiting speed by a
means that is easier to tune than true speed limiting.
  • PAS Level: The Aux control scales the final applied pedal assist level. This is one of the most common uses for the Aux Input.

If anyone is curious ... on my RTR kit from Grin, the CA came configured so those buttons by default change the preset PAS levels. That appears to be the most obvious use for someone installing a complete or turn key kit.

JackFlorey said:
I think I figured it out. Those two buttons go to the AUX line and pull them up or down. I also have an AUX analog input connected to the CA (that knob that ebikes.ca sells) and it was set to 0. So the wiper of the pot was at ground, which means that the AUX line is at ground, and when you press a button that tries to pull AUX to 5V, you get a short from ground to +5V and that glitches the controller. When I disconnected the pot it worked fine.

The manual has a diagram showing how to connect both the digital buttons and the analog input to the same AUX line but I think that's inadvisable based on what I saw.

Wow, that's pretty good troubleshooting. So is the switch hardwired to the Cycle Analyst, or is it connected via a connector? Meaning, is there still the option to use both an analog and digital input at the same time, like with the standard version?

E-HP said:
Wow, that's pretty good troubleshooting. So is the switch hardwired to the Cycle Analyst, or is it connected via a connector? Meaning, is there still the option to use both an analog and digital input at the same time, like with the standard version?
The thumb switch has a connector. However you can't really just unplug it since that's where the power button for the WP version of the Phaserunner is now. So you'd have to hack a separate power button in if you wanted to disconnect it.

is there still the option to use both an analog and digital input at the same time, like with the standard version?

Yes you can use both. To do this you have to add a resistor in the ground path of the analogue pot. Find the side of the analogue pot where the end of the track is currently connected to ground, cut this connection and place a 1k resistor (assuming you are using a 5k pot) in between the pot and ground.

This has the effect of reducing the analogue pot's range slightly. Instead of the pot being able to pull the Analogue Aux input all the way to 0V, the extra resistor will limit the pot's range to 0.8V-5.0V. This does two things:

1. It stops the Up button from shorting the 5V line to ground via the pot if the pot is set to zero.
2. It reserves the 0V-0.8V range for the Digi Aux buttons.

You then need to set this setting:
Analog Aux Settings > Lo Deadband > [0.8V]

This should enable your Digi Aux switches and your Analogue Aux pot to work together.

thanks,
Oli.

Oli.Hall said:
Yes you can use both. To do this you have to add a resistor in the ground path of the analogue pot. Find the side of the analogue pot where the end of the track is currently connected to ground, cut this connection and place a 1k resistor (assuming you are using a 5k pot) in between the pot and ground.
OK thanks! Would it be safer to add a 1K pot on the wiper side of the pot? That way you are also protected against someone trying to ground the AUX signal, and there's no reduction in range.

Would it be safer to add a 1K pot on the wiper side of the pot?

You need to add 1k to the ground side of the pot to reduce the active range of the potential divider created by the pot. This is needed to ‘reserve’ some voltage range at the lower end for the digital buttons.

You may also need to add a value to the wiper to prevent the pot pulling the Aux line all the way to 5V at the other end. Let me think about that one for a moment.

Edited: regarding adding resistance to wiper.

Thanks,
Oli.

This has the effect of reducing the analogue pot's range slightly. Instead of the pot being able to pull the Analogue Aux input all the way to 0V, the extra resistor will limit the pot's range to 0.8V-5.0V. This does two things:

1. It stops the Up button from shorting the 5V line to ground via the pot if the pot is set to zero.
2. It reserves the 0V-0.8V range for the Digi Aux buttons.

You then need to set this setting:
Analog Aux Settings > Lo Deadband > [0.8V]

This should enable your Digi Aux switches and your Analogue Aux pot to work together.

thanks,
Oli.
WOW!!

I just found out why my broken solar sensor is disabling the "Power Lim" when connected. Whenever I connect the solar sensor to AUX connector without load, I get 0.08v showing from the Cycle Analyst and force the "Power Lim" to its max value at 500w and unable to lower it.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Back