Hub drive shopping

brascoliosis

10 µW
Hey, Brasco here. Searched a couple times with little luck, but wanted something a little more concrete: where do you guys prefer to purchase your motors? I'm shooting for 5000w hub drive, but I don't know which sites/companies are most reputable. I've looked up the stuff under the "basics" thread, searched a few random things and only come up with Alibaba, EBay, Amazon (sort of) and then Bafang/Luna. . . But 5kW seems like an overseas thing mostly. Any help/info is appreciated.

Start with answering some questions.
How to get the proper advice, read before asking
To get solid advice on parts to buy, you must provide the following info.
Desired max speed on level ground. mph or kph
Desired max range at what cruising speed. mph or kph
Preferred bike wheel size, or wheel size of bike you want to convert. Most common kits are for 26" wheels.
Brake type of motor wheel. Disc or not.
Rider weight.
Terrain. Exp: mostly flat, some short hills under 20% grade, I want to climb mountains, etc., etc.
Budget.

brascoliosis said:
Hey, Brasco here. Searched a couple times with little luck, but wanted something a little more concrete: where do you guys prefer to purchase your motors? I'm shooting for 5000w hub drive, but I don't know which sites/companies are most reputable. I've looked up the stuff under the "basics" thread, searched a few random things and only come up with Alibaba, EBay, Amazon (sort of) and then Bafang/Luna. . . But 5kW seems like an overseas thing mostly. Any help/info is appreciated.

You are worrying about the wrong thing.
If even if you buy from a vendor here in the States, it all comes from the same place, Asia, mostly China.
You can get better response from a US based vendor in terms of help and perhaps speed of delivery, but you will pay for the privilege.
Actually, the motors themselves are the most reliable component in the system, what you need to concern yourself with is matching the pieces for the best performance. The best way to do that is to search (using search-words) the forum for builds simular to what you want to do. The answers to your "where to buy" questions will be answered in the course of your searches.
Good luck.

Its all been listed 100 times before. If you want a 50H motor then its an even smaller list.

Whats your dropout width?

motomech said:
brascoliosis said:

You are worrying about the wrong thing.
If even if you buy from a vendor here in the States, it all comes from the same place, Asia, mostly China.
You can get better response from a US based vendor in terms of help and perhaps speed of delivery, but you will pay for the privilege.
Actually, the motors themselves are the most reliable component in the system, what you need to concern yourself with is matching the pieces for the best performance. The best way to do that is to search (using search-words) the forum for builds simular to what you want to do. The answers to your "where to buy" questions will be answered in the course of your searches.
Good luck.

This was more of the answer I was trying to get at. I didnt know if certain companies were more reputable than others for certain stuff. Sounds like the same old thing: just research and ask questions. Thanks.

marty said:
Start with answering some questions.
How to get the proper advice, read before asking
To get solid advice on parts to buy, you must provide the following info.
Desired max speed on level ground. mph or kph
Desired max range at what cruising speed. mph or kph
Preferred bike wheel size, or wheel size of bike you want to convert. Most common kits are for 26" wheels.
Brake type of motor wheel. Disc or not.
Rider weight.
Terrain. Exp: mostly flat, some short hills under 20% grade, I want to climb mountains, etc., etc.
Budget.
Sorry I wasn't clear about what I was asking. Pretty much heard what I needed to hear. Thanks.

markz said:
Its all been listed 100 times before. If you want a 50H motor then its an even smaller list.

Whats your dropout width?

I wasn't asking the right question. Thanks for the info.

Back