Hanging an e-bike from front tire - good idea or bad?

Hey everyone,

I just got my first ebike! I live in a city that’s fraught with bike thieves, so I opted to sign up for bike parking where I work. The downside is that every single secured rack is a hanging rack, where you hang your bike by the front tire and lock your bike to the mounting bracket.

Does anyone have experience with using these on an ebike? My bike isn’t too heavy (~55lbs), but I wasn’t sure and don’t want to risk messing up my new baby. I figured it wouldn’t be bad, but wanted to run it by the field! Thoughts?

I would assume you mean by the "front wheel". I should think that any commercial enterprise would have chosen to use a 'rack' that would NOT lead them into small claims court for damages ..... but it is never wise to assume anything these days (especially since the only known corporate ethic is greed).

Have you ever heard that old adage, "A picture is worth a 1000 words"?

No experience, but as long as the wheel is not too cheap, it should do no damage to the wheel.

You will have to crank down that QR on the front wheel pretty good, to hold the extra weight.

If the wheel is strong enough to ride the bike on the ground, lifting it with a hook shouldn't be any more stressful. I would worry more about the thing falling.

Back