19.6 miles per day - range of 52volt 19.2 ah battery with 1000 watt motor?

GuitarHero1969 said:
The going is mostly flat
How many miles should I expect to get on a full charge?

Throttle only or with pedaling? Both depend of speed, as ZeroEM mentioned. But, when I was using my 52V 20Ah pack and 1000W hub, that's not too far off for throttle only.
With pedaling I could get 50 miles, with some juice still left in the tank. For range, I ride at 17-18mph, and pedaling to keep watts around 250W, so a 1kWh pack, that would be 68 miles, in theory.

GuitarHero1969 said:
The going is mostly flat
How many miles should I expect to get on a full charge?
When I am careless about energy I get about 25 watt-hours per mile. That's averaging about 20mph with short spurts at 25. If you can match that you can do 40 miles per day. (30 is more realistic and leaves some safety margin.)

Throttle only! And peddling is hard due to the weight of the battery, motor and motor resistance!

And I’ve been bombing it a bit up to thirty mph, so I guess the battery will flatten quite quickly!

I'd caution against assuming you'll get the amp-hours out of the battery, that it says on the box. That hasn't been my experience. When you get the battery, charge it up and run it down, and then you'll have a real idea.

People here are talking watt-hours (even if they write W, they mean WH.) W is the product of A * V, so your total watt-hours is 52 x 19.1 = 993.2. I ride a bicycle, so I average about 13 WH/mile. 993.2 / 13 = 76.4 miles. Your moped usage is going to run like 40 WH/m as ZeroEm predicted, which means maybe 25 miles.

I agree with 999zips and donns more conservative figure so between 25 to 30 miles range , but tyre choice is a factor, also weather is a big a range killer, my off road tyres on road cost me at least 5 miles range of the charge :es:

GuitarHero1969 said:
Throttle only! And peddling is hard due to the weight of the battery, motor and motor resistance!
Yes, pedaling is hard. If you want the range, you'll do it. If not, no worries.

Though how much difference it makes, depends on the speed. At 15mph pedaling doubles your range, like 150 miles; at 30mph it adds only a couple miles. That isn't based on "hard" pedaling, only the pretty mild effort of a 100W, and assuming a flat path etc.

Always buy more battery than you need. I had never seen any ebiker complain that he has too much or too good battery. The battery is the heart of your bike, and it will be the limiting factor when you want to upgrade its performance.

I consider 700 w/h of quality cells the minimum you should build with, otherwise you might as well buy a cheap ready to ride ebike because you are not on the way to do better.

Realistically, expect about 800 watt hours of real world usable power from your 1000 wh rated battery.

Range, as stated above, varies greatly with speed. At the worst end, ripping it 30 mph, you will get 35 to 45 watt hours per mile. But depending on the quality of your battery, you may get even less than 800 wh from it per charge. What happens when you draw hard on a lesser quality battery is the battery heats up, which wastes some of your power.

So at 30 mph, you might only get 17 miles out of it. But as said above, if you can run more like 25 wh/mile, then your battery is happier and stays cooler. 800 wh divided by 25 wh/mile is 32. 32 miles can be expected if you run 20 mph, and pedal with moderate effort.

You can do better still, by riding 15 mph, and pedaling with moderate effort. At 15 mph, your pedaling is now able to make up at least 25% of the energy used. 150 miles is not going to happen, but 40 miles is definitely possible from 800 wh of battery, when you ride 15 to 18 mph, and pedal with moderate effort.

To limp home on nearly nothing, just barely tickle the throttle. This tiny amount of power to the motor will eliminate the drag from the motor. Wont make the weight go away, but you at least don't have the motor dragging. You can use this to coast down a hill faster too.

You can make the weight go away too, with just a tiny, tiny bit more throttle if you need to. Just enough throttle to make the bike creep 5 mph or so. But really, what's the point of that except to limp home on a nearly dead battery? Then you could go 140 miles, but you still have to pedal just as much as if you rode a 15 pound bike 140 miles.

40 miles out of that size battery, is about the max that is worth it, letting you enjoy a ride longer than you can go on a normal bike, without pedaling hard at any time. When I was sick, pedaling hard even 5 min was impossible. Only the assist let me get out of the sick room.

Back