Need a 26+ ("plus"...will take 3-inch wide tire) aluminum MTB frame

pullin-gs

1 kW
Suggestions?
My next project is a tame woods-ebike for my wife.
I need a 26 inch mountain bike frame which will mount up a 3 inch wide wheel.
They exist (26-plus size), but are rare and expensive.
There has got to be an under-the-radar budget (26ER standard size) frame out there that will get the job done.
I have my motor already....I dont want a "fat" motor&frame for this build.
The rear-drive motor is a standard 135mm wide geared hub (not "Fat" 175mm+) which I will lace up to a 24" rim with 24x3" tire.
My other option is to get a "fat" 135mm fork and put the motor up front. I really want to avoid this though. :-(

Closest thing I've seen is a Bikes Direct cruiser that is for 26 X 3" wheels. I built my daughter an ebike with front hub using one. Bike Island, their subsidiary, may have NOS frames that would be acceptable; there used to be semi-fat frames (26 X 4") that had 135 mm rear spacing AIR.

I have a small Framed wolftrax fatbike frame i never built if you are interested. It has 170 mm dropouts But I also have a New ebikeling DD Kit to go with it if you are interested. It was supposed to be a winter project but I just got another super 73 im messing around with. I got a good deal on both as B stocks So I would be willing to give you an even better deal. I know you said you didn't want to go fat but I have it laying around so I figured I would throw it out there.

Alternatively, if you want to go for single speed or possibly get a Axle mounted derailleur hanger, bike island/bikes direct has the bullseye or bullseye monster
Or whatever it's called that is a single speed with 135 mm axles all around I believe and they are pretty cheap

Success!
After searching far and wide for a 26"+ frame I could not locate one.
I found a "Walmart Bike" Kent Saracino hardtail MTB that will serve as a great doner-bike for the aluminum 26 frame.
Will keep the frame......everything else goes into the parts-box or gets recycled/tossed.
The frame will take my 24x3 tires.
Wheel builds use 507x32mm rims laced up to 135mm rear-hub motor and WM MT3000 front hub.

pullin-gs said:
I found a "Walmart Bike" Kent Saracino

Eeeew gross

Remember every single part of a bike like that is as cheap as they can possibly make it. If it works well, they know they can make it even cheaper, and they do.

pullin-gs said:
Chalo said:
Eeeew gross
I know! Right?!
Don't tell anyone....Its embarrassing. :-/ :)
Well, it could be worse. At least it's not fashionable.

IMG_20211002_181201906~2.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

IMG_20201027_175747996~2.jpg

Why wouldn't a fat bike be a good fit if you want 26+ tires.
Cheap fatties out there everywhere. I picked one up used for $350cdn, the Costco fatties used are $2-300. I ride with a 26x4.00 rear and the front hub is 26x2.25. 4.00 is to wide, I like 3.00 better.

markz said:
Why wouldn't a fat bike be a good fit if you want 26+ tires.
Because I don’t want 26+ Tires.
I already have a very capable off-road fat build.
I want a non-fat midsize frame (not a kids 24 fat bike) that will take 24x3 tires. I already have 135mm/100mm hub/motor/rims….I found frame which will clear semi-fat tires with 1x8 gears using standard hubs.
My wife finds fat-tire 26 inch bikes too cumbersome and heavy. A 26 inch fat frame w/24 tires cause pedals to hit ground. BB clearance on regular 26 frame with 3 inch tires only an inch lower and is manageable.

Frame worked.
I laced up 24" 32mm rims to hubs and things lined up fine.
24x3" tires fit with room to spare.
Frame has roomy triangle also for back build.
I'll post build details when done in proper forum.
20211018_082955.jpg
20211018_084236.jpg

Nice!

That head tube is hilarious. But the frame looks pretty sturdy.

pullin-gs said:
Indeed......it's newby-baited to make the straight-tube look like it's tapered. :)

I think it probably makes the top tube and down tube miters easier/cheaper, too.

If you were only able to use the frame, probably a good deal; was it difficult to remove the decals?

:thumb: Your workstand. I just might do something similar, thanks! :D

file.php

2old said:
If you were only able to use the frame, probably a good deal; was it difficult to remove the decals?
Decals simply pealed off whole. No leftover residue or torn pieces.

Done!
Build hit all the marks for intended purpose.
47lbs, 1000WH pack, 800w maximum. 17MPH max. Torquey....pulls strong through Florida sand without digging/bogging in.
I will update after we take a few trips on Florida forest roads.
663949342.jpg

Looks good.. I would like to find another fs like my old fsr. Do the same...

pullin-gs said:
Done!
Build hit all the marks for intended purpose.
47lbs, 1000WH pack, 800w maximum. 17MPH max. Torquey....pulls strong through Florida sand without digging/bogging in.
I will update after we take a few trips on Florida forest roads.
663949342.jpg
I love how that came out. :bigthumb: What length crank arms are you using, and what tires are mounted in the pic?

E-HP said:
I love how that came out. :bigthumb: What length crank arms are you using, and what tires are mounted in the pic?
I used 170mm crank arms.
Tires are 24x3.0
Rims are 24" (507x32) 36H on front and back.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324389244303

Back