Breaking in a high powered motor/insulating

ebike11

1 MW
Hi all!
Is there any particular "break in" method needed for large hub motors that will see high voltage..around 100V???
Also...
what do you guys think about applying insulating varnish to new motors? Seen some youtube vids and one by ES member Doctor Bass. I have opened hub motors before. But I read that some people dont recommend or find it unnecessary to open up the motor if all is working fine.
Wondering if its worth doing or not.
I have to at least take a side cover off for ferrofluid. I would actually like to add silicon to both side covers because the motors from QS in China have no waterproofing/silicone on the covers.
Just dont want to compromise the integrity of a new motor if I can help it.
Thanks in advance!

Don’t go solving problems that don’t exist. If it does run fine, then ride. Voltage is not an issue.

MadRhino said:
Don’t go solving problems that don’t exist. If it does run fine, then ride. Voltage is not an issue.

Ok thx...just i thought prevention would help later on
So there is no break in needed? I know its electric but thought id double check.

But i would still need to take the cover off for ferrofluid

No break in period. None. Its not a gas engine with many parts.

Varnishing the copper inside as well as the other steel parts is done where the climate is very wet, and the motors tend to suck up water from the air and fill up with water, then the steel laminations rust. Ferrofluid inside should keep the rust away.

I live in a dry climate, but my idea to let out water was a couple 1/8 inch hole in the cover. This lets the motor drive out humidity every time it runs. It also worked amazingly well as a temp gauge. Stop for a second, and you can smell a hot winding before it burns to toast.

Not as effective as cooling with the fluid, but it definitely made it easy for me to start stopping in time instead of roasting my 9c type motors.

dogman dan said:
No break in period. None. Its not a gas engine with many parts.

Varnishing the copper inside as well as the other steel parts is done where the climate is very wet, and the motors tend to suck up water from the air and fill up with water, then the steel laminations rust. Ferrofluid inside should keep the rust away.

I live in a dry climate, but my idea to let out water was a couple 1/8 inch hole in the cover. This lets the motor drive out humidity every time it runs. It also worked amazingly well as a temp gauge. Stop for a second, and you can smell a hot winding before it burns to toast.

Not as effective as cooling with the fluid, but it definitely made it easy for me to start stopping in time instead of roasting my 9c type motors.

So you arent hsing any ferrofluid?

I don’t use any means of cooling, but I understand that it is important for some in different situations. I find big hub motors very cheap and low maintenance, not worth opening until they really need to.

MadRhino said:
I don’t use any means of cooling, but I understand that it is important for some in different situations. I find big hub motors very cheap and low maintenance, not worth opening until they really need to.

Yes i see.
But after shipping/taxes and price increases etc. youre looking at around 1000 for a nice powerful hub like a QS...so id rather not burn up my motor if i can help it

It will last about 20 000 miles hard riding as is, unless you chose a kv that is very inappropriate for your riding requirements. In that case it might need cooling, otherwise I wouldn’t bother. Those that I know who had opened it for drilling, add ferrofluid or varnish, didn't last any longer than mines.

You still have fees on Chinese imports?
Last one I ordered was 700 CAD at my door, that was some 15 months ago.

ebike11 said:
But after shipping/taxes and price increases etc. youre looking at around 1000 for a nice powerful hub like a QS...so id rather not burn up my motor if i can help it

That motor is too big, heavy, and powerful for a bicycle, but only enough to make a pretty lame little motorcycle.

To each his own, I guess.

ebike11 said:
MadRhino said:

Yes i see.

1000 for what, a 273?

Eastwood said:
ebike11 said:
MadRhino said:

Yes i see.

1000 for what, a 273?

Pretty much..if you factor in the 100 to 200 for shipping and duty and taxes if customs flags it.

Chalo said:
ebike11 said:

That motor is too big, heavy, and powerful for a bicycle, but only enough to make a pretty lame little motorcycle.

There are tons of bicycles with QS motors on them.
Come and take it for a ride. You will soil your pants going 60 to 80mph on a bicycle...it will humble you and you wouldnt call it lame lol.

ebike11 said:
Chalo said:
ebike11 said:

Come and take it for a ride. You will soil your pants going 60 to 80mph on a bicycle...it will humble you and you wouldnt call it lame lol.

I lived for a dozen years with 100+ hp, 1100cc four cylinder motorcycles as my daily transportation. So if I crapped my pants from a wheezy little e-moto, it would be because the bike itself was terrifyingly inadequate. Which is plausible.

Chalo said:
ebike11 said:
Chalo said:
ebike11 said:

I lived for a dozen years with 100+ hp, 1100cc four cylinder motorcycles as my daily transportation. So if I crapped my pants from a wheezy little e-moto, it would be because the bike itself was terrifyingly inadequate. Which is plausible.

Going 80mph on a motorbike and on a bicycle frame are 2 totally different experiences

ebike11 said:
Going 80mph on a motorbike and on a bicycle frame are 2 totally different experiences

True! That's because one of them is a terrible idea.

Chalo said:
ebike11 said:

Why? There are people who want to test the speed limits on every type of transportation mode on the planet. No exception here. You obviously havent watched powerful ebike builds on youtube or es.
I prefer not to ride with an old granny bike and 36v motor lol
Take your own advice in what you posted above

ebike11 said:
Chalo said:
ebike11 said:

Why? There are people who want to test the speed limits on every type of transportation mode on the planet. No exception here. You obviously havent watched powerful ebike builds on youtube or es.

No. Bicycles are built for bicycle speeds, structurally and dynamically. Riding one at 80 mph is like putting a rocket motor on a Honda Civic and going for 300 mph. Yes you could do it, no it's never a good idea.

Chalo said:
ebike11 said:
Chalo said:
ebike11 said:

No. Bicycles are built for bicycle speeds, structurally and dynamically. Riding one at 80 mph is like putting a rocket motor on a Honda Civic and going for 300 mph. Yes you could do it, no it's never a good idea.

Its a good idea for the guy wanting to do it..
Also bikes werent orginally built for even 30mph speeds..but hobbyists keep beefing up the dropouts with torque arms etc. The manufacturers werent wanting people to do that to their bikes either...going 80mph ks just ramping it up another notch or 2.
Nowadays steel frames like Stealth Bomber etc can handle 100kph+

Huge difference between my DH racing bike and the girlie step through of my neighbor. Bikes are made for the purpose that they serve. Some are good to speed, some aren’t. The problem is that most ebike DIY amateurs don’t know sh*t.

MadRhino said:
Huge difference between my DH racing bike and the girlie step through of my neighbor.

Even your downhill racing bike isn't made to go 80 mph on the street. But yes, it's a better starting point than a typical bicycle. Still a motorcycle is a better tool to do a motorcycle''s job.

Chalo said:
MadRhino said:
Huge difference between my DH racing bike and the girlie step through of my neighbor.

Even your downhill racing bike isn't made to go 80 mph on the street. But yes, it's a better starting point than a typical bicycle. Still a motorcycle is a better tool to do a motorcycle''s job.

id seem some of the strangest concoctions on ES that bikes arent made for..yet people wanna build what they like

ebike11 said:
id seem some of the strangest concoctions on ES that bikes arent made for..yet people wanna build what they like

"Strange" won't seriously injure or kill you. 80 mph on a janky bicycle might.

People who still want to do it after being warned, should do it. Some folks can't learn from the experiences of others.

Chalo said:
ebike11 said:

"Strange" won't seriously injure or kill you. 80 mph on a janky bicycle might.

People who still want to do it after being warned, should do it. Some folks can't learn from the experiences of others.

strange can hurt you when they are compromising the frame, at least with Vector or Stealth frames they are not needed to be modified for the most part

were gonna die soon, take some risks

Back