Moped gangs with machetes target London's cyclists

Time to get your sneaky little GPS trackers installed! I wonder whether anybody builds one into a blinky taillight?

Another reason to buy f-ugly bicycles.

In the UK they GPS their motorcycle and mopeds, even have companies that track them down for ya but the unarmed fuzz are to busy half to time to help out.

Would get more than they bargained for if tried that with me, stupid wimpy bird legged armed City youths would end up getting a hiding with flat side of there own machete, :lol: :mrgreen: +1for GPS and +1 for not riding stupidly expensive bikes in the inner city

When I visited London decades ago, the only way I got around was via old fashioned shoe leather (in those days it was actual leather) and the 'tube'. I could never make heads or tails out of the bus schedule. In those days a 5 mile walk was a meer 'stretch of the legs' ... today I might make 2 miles. I can only imagine the nightmare of riding a bicycle in that town.

Please visit Amsterdam, the bicycle friendly city.
I didn't like London to much when I visited.
Pound out the tourist thing as quickly as possible and move on.

LewTwo said:
I can only imagine the nightmare of riding a bicycle in that town.

markz said:
Been there as well but only for a weekend unfortunately and also on foot :)

A nail clipper or Dollarama pliers with a wire cutter at the pivot nets thieves a bike.
Just like the tourist mountain towns in Alberta (Banff/Jasper)
Its pretty amazing actually, very nice $1k+ bicycles with a cable lock.
Once, years ago, the rc's nabbed a uhaul on the highway full of stolen bicycles.

I should have went to Amsterdam, maybe when covid's over I will do another European tour. I'd love to go on a Tall Ship cruise east of Italy down both coasts. Then maybe dip down into Africa.

LewTwo said:
markz said:
Been there as well but only for a weekend unfortunately and also on foot :)

Chalo said:
Time to get your sneaky little GPS trackers installed! I wonder whether anybody builds one into a blinky taillight?

You're clearly not in the USA.

They'd say never bike without a concealed carry weapon.

No bike is worth your life, just say Hey dudes, here yah go.

TorontoBuilder said:
Chalo said:

I don't even live in a place as civilized as the barbaric USA. I'm from Texas.

Better than fighting for your bike is letting it go, but knowing where to find it afterwards. Then at an opportune moment, you take it back.

I recently helped a friend of mine steal his bike back (no GPS tracker, just dumb luck). In the process I got to threaten a thief with a four foot steel pipe. He took the hint.

I got to liberate a service vehicle that a former employee failed to return and that the police stated that they could not locate despite being told the neighbourhood it had to be in. Sadly I didn't get to wave a pipe at anyone to do it.

Sorry I did not mean to imply that gps tracker was a bad idea. They should be on everything of value.

Texas eh.. :shock: :lol:

I'm in Texas also, they want you to carry a gun here. Don't think a shoot out over a bike is worth it. GPS tracker sounds better.

by TorontoBuilder » Oct 24 2021 7:41pm

Chalo wrote: ↑Oct 23 2021 5:37pm

Not only Texas, but 6'7" and 400lbs or something, always good to intimidate that way but with the added pipe to get the point across why not, then add a scruffy beard and maybe even a beaver skin hat.... who knows.

How bad is T.O. these days?
Is Ford getting fatter or what?

TorontoBuilder said:

I'm in London and this is just the tip of the iceberg. Normally the police aren't allowed to ram/chase/harm the criminals.
The highlight reel you see of them doing it is a special unit and they prepared these videos to scare criminals and make people feel good/safe.
These types of crimes are popular now because there is close to nothing stopping them, a few years ago it was the moped thieves, but those things have reg numbers and license plates. So I guess with the city being starved with gas, pedal bikes are the new thing.

Show flash
Your a target

Countless shows on it whether 3rd worlds or 1st, it don't matter. Be aware.
Your expensive watch, chain, bling bling
Your expensive car
Your Gucci bag

You are a target

I like to watch a show on YT about Active Self Defense, 2 ppl on mopeds = watch out.

I'd much rather have an old vehicle with $100k of modifications, 524 crate is $25k, the computer for it is another $25k and have it purr = sleeper
Then have a bling bling vehicle, loud, obnoxious, noisy.... your vehicle will get keyed easy and it happens all the time.

markz said:
Not only Texas, but 6'7" and 400lbs or something, always good to intimidate that way but with the added pipe to get the point across why not, then add a scruffy beard and maybe even a beaver skin hat.... who knows.

How bad is T.O. these days?
Is Ford getting fatter or what?

TorontoBuilder said:

RoFo, aka Rob Ford, (my original nemesis BTW) died of liposarcoma which is ironically cancer of the fat tissues.

Doug Ford aka deedle dumb, his brother however became Premier of the province, our equivalent of Governor. He just announced dates for ending all covid measures. He needed to appeal to his miscreant base what with an election around the corner.

Mods, I will so understand if you delete this

TorontoBuilder said:
RoFo, aka Rob Ford, (my original nemesis BTW) died of liposarcoma which is ironically cancer of the fat tissues.

He was the crack smoking mayor, right?

mqdefault.jpg

I'll try to bring this back around. Intransigently pro-car, anti-all other transportation politicians like Ford are a bigger and more enduring blight to cyclists than machete-wielding robbers are. A run-in with an armed bandit will probably only cost you your bike and wallet. But the conditions that pro-car policy and city planning inflict upon us cost North American cyclists hundreds of lives a year, thousands seriously injured, and untold day to day misery.

Chalo said:
TorontoBuilder said:

He was the crack smoking mayor, right?

mqdefault.jpg

I'll try to bring this back around. Intransigently pro-car, anti-all other transportation politicians like Ford are a bigger and more enduring blight to cyclists than machete-wielding robbers are. A run-in with an armed bandit will probably only cost you your bike and wallet. But the conditions that pro-car policy and city planning inflict upon us cost North American cyclists hundreds of lives a year, thousands seriously injured, and untold day to day misery.

This, so so so much this... "Intransigently pro-car, anti-all other transportation politicians like Ford are a bigger and more enduring blight to cyclists than machete-wielding robbers are."

Given his attitude you'd think Ford own massive stock in the big three automakers. His cronies in council assured that the burb I live in has zero cycling resources, and road conditions that see huge pedestrian and cyclist injuries and deaths. It was Ford style politicos that made me want to start cycling more and want to own an e-bike to increase my "reach" within the community so I can make most trips without my car.

I am now under 1000 km per year on my car. If I did not have pay as you go insurance it would not even be worth keeping the car. But it is a back up in case of emergency.

ZeroEm said:
I'm down to 3000 mi/5000 km a year and the auto insurance is my biggest reason not to have a car.
I am down to none ... the only reason I still have a driver's license is because this is Texas and I need a state issued photo ID.

That is a fact! My Passport expired this year. Had to get one when the Texas ID did not comply with standards. Not sure if I need to renew it. Think the Texas DL is compliant if you pay extra.

It is needed to Vote here. So I will keep the TX DL may need to rent a Tesla from Hertz, they ordered 100,000 cars.

by LewTwo » Oct 25 2021 5:58pm

ZeroEm wrote: ↑Oct 25 2021 5:16pm
I'm down to 3000 mi/5000 km a year and the auto insurance is my biggest reason not to have a car.
I am down to none ... the only reason I still have a driver's license is because this is Texas and I need a state issued photo ID.

Bigger the city you live in, the more you just need to insure stuff. Had a friend who's work took him out of town every year all summer. We called his house Dave Mart. He got better stereo's and his album collection replaced every fall.

Yeah, quite some time ago, vinyl records. Paying those insurance bills sucks, but good home or renters insurance should cover your bike.

dogman dan said:
Bigger the city you live in, the more you just need to insure stuff. Had a friend who's work took him out of town every year all summer. We called his house Dave Mart. He got better stereo's and his album collection replaced every fall.

Yeah, quite some time ago, vinyl records. Paying those insurance bills sucks, but good home or renters insurance should cover your bike.

Not here. Most standard policies put a limit on bicycle claims of $1000 with a $500 deductible. Not much help on your $5000 Cervelo. I used to have a rider on a Rivendell that I rode to work, I think it cost about $40 per year. It was probably safer at work in a locked cage than in my house that was empty all day.

There was a recent article about how ebikes could change big city commuting, but my thought is that parking for your $3000 ride is inadequate and with an angle grinder you can cut through a U lock in seconds.

Back