How to fit a Baserunner in a DP-9 case?

Lith-O-Volt

1 µW
I'm seriously considering getting a Grin All-Axle front hub after I had planned to go with a mid-mount. At this point, it seems like a no-brainer, but the only lingering question I have is how I will fit the Baserunner motor controller into the DP-9 battery case which I plan to use.

In the product video for the Baserunner, Justin explains that it will only fit into battery cradles which have the connectors positioned forward enough to allow room for a module such as a motor controller. Based on photos I see of DP-9 cases and packs for sale, it would appear that the cradle does not provide room for anything else. But on Grin's website, they sell a 52 V 20 Ah battery pack in what they claim to be a DP-9 case, but with a different cradle which has room for the Baserunner.

Can anyone provide insight on how Grin, or I, might fit a Baserunner into a DP-9 case?

I was just watching one of Justin’s videos today and I think he said the battery model number had to have a “C” in it for it to have the controller space.

That's good to know. Thanks for that info, Screamer.

If anyone else is in the same boat, it might be worth noting that I decided to go a different route for this project. Initially, I was attracted to the Baserunner because it would eliminate the need for an additional clunky enclosure on the bike. Then I noticed that the Baserunner has a lower maximum current than the Phaserunner due to this fact. Also, motor controllers tend to get hot, and I'd prefer to not only keep that heat out of my battery enclosure, but also to radiate it away from the controller more effectively.

So I started looking at the Phaserunner, which is not clunky since it's apparently the only motor controller on the market with an aerodynamic housing and tubular mounting. But apparently because it's so great it's out of stock for the next eleven months! And now of course, they are both out of stock. Recommendations welcome...

Lith-O-Volt said:
... Also, motor controllers tend to get hot, and I'd prefer to not only keep that heat out of my battery enclosure, but also to radiate it away from the controller more effectively.
While I also wouldn't want excessive heat in my battery there are times when a little extra warmth in the battery case seems to be helpful. I notice less issues (less battery capacity reduction) when riding in low ambient temps (below freezing) with my downtube battery/Baserunner combination, as compared to others I know with similar (but not exactly the same) battery only setups. I'm also not pushing my configuration too hard in the summer months (only occasional using up over 1000w/20amps so) so overheating the enclosed Baserunner isn't an issue ... but the 500w hub motor is a different story.

Back