Do 100mph bikes exist??

ebike11

1 MW
Are there any ES members or have you seen anyone on youtube reaching the 100mph barrier in a standard bicycle frame / vector, enduro etc type frame? I dont mean electric motorbikes because Im sure there are many that can.
Curious to see some of the builds.
Please no comments about how impractical it is..I know that its dangerous :))

In the quarter mile drag strip?

Yes... Luke... LiveForPhysics did that long ago.

Now how about 200 mph?... that would be impressive.

SafeDiscDancing said:

Step by step :)

What about the russians, I thought one put up a video of going super fast but that might have been just 60mph.
The forces of those speeds can not hold up to mass produced bicycle engineering even with the good brand high end bicycle models.

SafeDiscDancing said:

calab said:
What about the russians, I thought one put up a video of going super fast but that might have been just 60mph.
The forces of those speeds can not hold up to mass produced bicycle engineering even with the good brand high end bicycle models.

SafeDiscDancing said:

But according to some on here, there have been a bunch going over 100mph

Risky and I hope they are young and youthful with a good health plan so they can recover fast, if they do recover at all. Yup some do like to go fast on electric bicycles but 40mph is to fast for me, maybe your flavor of fun is different and maybe you have ridden motorcycles in the past but the danger level is just to high for my flavor of being healthy with bones in tact. I would like to know who goes 60mph on a regular basis vs 50 but I too would love to know who has done 100mph on a bicycle.

ebike11 said:

MotoGP bikes are now getting up to 220+ mph on the straight sections on the faster tracks.

I figure going 1/10 that speed is enough fun for me.

At 10 mph the typical bicyclist can get around without protective gear.

At 20 mph you probably should have gloves and a helmet.

At 30 mph it's time to put on knee pads, elbow pads, maybe leathers if you are into taking risks while having fun.

Anything over 40 mph and you really should be wearing full motorcycle gear.

By 100 mph you need racing leathers, boots, a full faced helmet and ideally a road that has no hard edges sticking out at you.

calab said:
Risky and I hope they are young and youthful with a good health plan so they can recover fast, if they do recover at all. Yup some do like to go fast on electric bicycles but 40mph is to fast for me, maybe your flavor of fun is different and maybe you have ridden motorcycles in the past but the danger level is just to high for my flavor of being healthy with bones in tact. I would like to know who goes 60mph on a regular basis vs 50 but I too would love to know who has done 100mph on a bicycle.

ebike11 said:

The person I was told about going over 100 is Luke

Yes I know two. Bikes. Here. Over 100mph ( not on the 1/8, 1/4 mile, but takes longer to get up to speed). On vid. Sean James is one of them. Broke 100mph. Only did 93? MPH in the quarter. All bicycle. Not a Sur Ron or a Stealth frame, but a bicycle.

I have a vid on the stand of a QS275 spinning over 150mph unloaded. Somewhere around 1800 RPM. Too.

My bike trapped 112mph in the quarter mile spending 11.4sec from a standing start, but the same time slip shows over 100mph by the 1/8th mile point of the track.

The next fastest quarter mile trap speed I've ever seen was 87mph in the quarter.

Beware bicycle tire rubber has problems shedding heat fast enough to ride aggressively with corners at high speeds, and they tend to explode randomly while you're pushing them hard. Fortunately it was rears that would blow for me before fronts, but the fronts would look pretty chowdered so I would swap both tires together.

May be of interest: the land speed record for a bicycle AFAIK was set by a lady on a specially-constructed KHS at 184 mph riding behind a dragster. She had set it at 150 or so in 2016 and was discussing it at Interbike that year.

That is cheating because she had little to no wind resistance, its the same cheating with setting a speed record going down a hill. I want to see leg power and leg power alone get up to speed but also breaking wind resistance.

2old said:
May be of interest: the land speed record for a bicycle AFAIK was set by a lady on a specially-constructed KHS at 184 mph riding behind a dragster. She had set it at 150 or so in 2016 and was discussing it at Interbike that year.

liveforphysics said:
My bike trapped 112mph in the quarter mile spending 11.4sec from a standing start, but the same time slip shows over 100mph by the 1/8th mile point of the track.

The next fastest quarter mile trap speed I've ever seen was 87mph in the quarter.

Beware bicycle tire rubber has problems shedding heat fast enough to ride aggressively with corners at high speeds, and they tend to explode randomly while you're pushing them hard. Fortunately it was rears that would blow for me before fronts, but the fronts would look pretty chowdered so I would swap both tires together.

Very interesting!
Do you have a build thread for that bike ?

calab said:
That is cheating because she had little to no wind resistance, its the same cheating with setting a speed record going down a hill. I want to see leg power and leg power alone get up to speed but also breaking wind resistance.

2old said:

I'm not sure you cheating is the right word, unless she's violating some sort of rules. The Lycra guys say we're cheating riding our ebikes, as though there are some rules that apply, even though there's not even a competition.

That is a well known fastie
[youtube]NCpzXIPXdAQ[/youtube]
[youtube]kjLUAkWoOEE[/youtube]
[youtube]pnU9lz20QhQ[/youtube]

ebike11 said:
The person I was told about going over 100 is Luke

I assumed he meant, does anyone ride in the rear passenger seat (since it's tandem).

Yes, my son, and a handful more brave folks. I rode rear passenger once with my friend Doug, terrified me, so hard to hang on!

calab said:
Bikes is a broad term do you want bicycles or motorbikes?

ebike11 said:
I see lol
Any other builds over 100mph with a hub motor?

Basically with pedals like death bike or frames such as Enduro/vector...not sportbikes
I have seen any with rear hubs going over 100mph

ebike11 said:
calab said:
Bikes is a broad term do you want bicycles or motorbikes?

ebike11 said:
I see lol
Any other builds over 100mph with a hub motor?

Basically with pedals like death bike or frames such as Enduro/vector...not sportbikes
I have seen any with rear hubs going over 100mph

This guy., Did 93mph? in the 1/4 mi. in 2021 I think. Told us he did 103mph peak recently in one of the groups. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

QS V3. 175volt lipo. Kelly KHB14301

https://www.facebook.com/fatbikeking/posts/1837756153181282

THIS post is four years old by now. So yeah he ( Shaun James) is still going. I rememberr the 93mph post I'll try to find it. He has posted on the Endless Fear group for years by now. Definitely round since long before I have been around.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1144925262217559/posts/1144926542217431/

Dammit. I wish I had a 144v controller.

Back