Old Phoenix Cruiser II controller finally died. Baserunner to replace.

I have an older Phoenix Cruiser II setup. With a huge 4840 controller. I was setting up for my first work commute for the year. Plugged in the fully charged battery and pulled the throttle.... no go. Clyte APM Display stated everything was "Pass". Double checked my settings, all good. Made sure the throttle and ebrake were functioning properly. Fine. Rotated motor and Display registered Watts out. Took the controller apart and checked for any obvious fault. Nothing. Could possibly troubleshoot further but probably a waist of time, especially since it doesn't have regenerative brake capability.

I tired to email the new owners of the Phoenix II line ,Electroride. No response to my email. (Though I haven't got a response back from Grin yet either, is everyone on vacation?)

Since nobody is returning my emails I figured the goodwill at Grin plus all the online documentation and videos was good enough to get me started on an order.

I looked at Grin's Baserunner L10 (added CA3 for best operation). I can't believe how compact the Baserunner is compared to the old Clyte controller that was horrible to try to hide on the bike. Anyway the more I read about the product the more I was sold on it. I know my Clyte 5304 motor can probably handle more power than the Baserunner can supply, but 48v at 40-50Amp is more than enough power for my daily 20-30 mile round trip. I'm really interested in the regenerative braking offered too. I burn through brake pads.

I'll probably be asking questions when I set up the controller. I'm confused on Max Phase Current. Also I want to set the regen braking to operate like one peddle driving if possible.

There are some pieces backordered so it may be awhile before I start.

Back