Big guy would like a starter bike recommendation

simonov

1 W
I'm all raring to jump into my third conversion, using a BBSHD on a hardtail hybrid our mountain bike. I want something for exploring the jeep trails around here, not for single track. Problem I've had in finding donor bikes is I'm 6'5" (195cm) tall and want an XL bike frame with 29in or 700mm wheels and tires at least about two inches wide. And that can accept a BBSHD.

I don't intend to make the conversion immediately, but will spend some time riding the bike in its natural state.

This is a smallish town, and it's hard finding specific bikes in the used market, so it looks like I will probably buy a new one. Since I intend to spend an additional $1,000 on the conversion, I obviously don't want to start with a hideously expensive donor.

PS: earlier builds

bikeisland or bikesdirect is a pretty good place to look for an extra large frame on the cheap.

They're hard to find otherwise!

Bicycles/Ebikes and jeep trails dont really mix together well unless you got more of a motorcycle bicycle, full suspension would be ultra nice to have and lots of air in the tires like a 26/27.5/29 x 2.50+ depending on what your riding, Jeep Trails is a pretty generic term, there is a great variety in the type of trails the small Jeeps ride no matter where you are in the world, from big mud and mud holes, to water wading, to rock crawling to tree stump dodging.

Do you like the box framed Enduro ebike frame?

I live nestled between the Sierra Nevada and the Forty Mile Desert. There are two kinds of access to the wilderness here, "single track" trails and jeep or utility roads (maintained or unmaintained gravel roads originally put in by utilities or miners). The single track trails are a hassle because they are shared with by hikers and dogs, and while I am a hiker with a dog myself, I sure am not interested in riding a narrow trail around hikers and dogs. The jeep trails are often pretty awful for a car (especially if they are behind locked gates), a motorcycle would be best, but a mountain bike works as well. Many local mountain bikers stay away from the single track trails and have a lot of fun just cruising the jeep trails.

What I have learned from riding my TSDZ2 conversion for the last two years is if riding a bike is fun, the same trip with an e-bike is more fun. Anything a mountain bike can do, an electric augmented mountain bike can do better.

BUT! Any new bike I buy will also be used on the street and on the Truckee River dedicated bikepath, so I don't want a dedicated mountain bike with tiny front sprocket.

There's an XL Surly Instigator hardtail, most likely with a steel frame, for $500 in your area (CL). I'd look at that first.

2old said:
There's an XL Surly Instigator hardtail, most likely with a steel frame, for $500 in your area (CL). I'd look at that first.

Thanks! But Sacramento isn't really very close to me.

999zip999 said:
Now we want to know where you live Lake Tahoe Nevada desert. I used to live in Reno twice and I work at Mount Rose 1 season

Where there ya go, I grew up in Dana Point, more or less.

I'm gravitating to a new Specialized Rockhopper Sport 29 after all, it seems like it might be a fun bike to ride for a while before I convert it (thought the sloping top tube might give me problems with my Yakima car rack).

simonov said:
2old said:

Thanks! But Sacramento isn't really very close to me.
Sorry; I located it in the Reno CL and thought it was from the area. Otherwise I'd say it was a good choice.

So are you in Reno?

If you are in Reno or Tahoe there are lots of used bikes for sale. I have bought 2 XL frame bikes since winter. Unfortunately you do have to ask most sellers for the frame size because they are lazy when they post it.

I have noticed that California has stupid low prices for some reason. I guess everyone there has to have something new so the used bikes are cheap. I have considered lining up several meetings in California and just making a trip out to find a great bike at 1/2 the price they are locally. Could probably make a business of this frankly.

Honestly i get all my XL frames used on ebay. :)

neptronix said:
Honestly i get all my XL frames used on ebay. :)

I'll probably get there some day. After all, I build all my AR-15s from scratch. But wrenching on bicycles is new to me, I learned everything I know about bikes from my last two e-conversions, and I still have a lot to learn.

simonov said:
I'm gravitating to a new Specialized Rockhopper Sport 29 after all, it seems like it might be a fun bike to ride for a while before I convert it (thought the sloping top tube might give me problems with my Yakima car rack).
Specialized Rockhopper Sport 29 was my first ebike. Good solid platform, decent components, tabs for fenders and rack. Sloping top tube as you say but still plenty of space in the triangle for 60V 21Ah of 30Q.

Depending on the amount of battery and motor you add, your car rack may be insufficient based on the weight.

Used look for giant trance or Konai like king kakpu for F.S.and or older commonly frame and put a good front shock. But make sure you have room for battery in triangle.
You still want a middrive ? How big a battery?

999zip999 said:
Used look for giant trance or Konai like king kakpu for F.S.and or older commonly frame and put a good front shock. But make sure you have room for battery in triangle.
You still want a middrive ? How big a battery?
At this point I'm pretty sure I'm just going to mosey on up Virginia Street and pick up one of those Specialized Rockhopper Sport 29s. I'd like to try commuting to work on it for a while before converting it. When I do convert, I'm pretty sure I'll get a Bafang BBSHD Mid Drive Ebike Kit with 52v Luna Wolf V2 LG MJ1 13.5ah.

This would be my third conversion (or fourth if my ex wants an e-bike in the meantime).

Karl wrote an article on how he found fat-tire frames (*with disc brakes) that allowed him to run the stock 4-inch tires in snow, but then swap to 29'r wheels/tires in the warm half of the year.

I dont recall if he had to lace a special hub to the 29'r rims to get a wide enough axle, but that might be worth looking into...

He also used the BBSHD, as I do...

simonov said:
After all, I build all my AR-15s from scratch.

Feckless coward much?

Seems like a noisy stinking gas bike might be more your style.

Chalo said:
simonov said:
After all, I build all my AR-15s from scratch.

Feckless coward much?

Seems like a noisy stinking gas bike might be more your style.
Hi Mr Friendly! I didn't realize the courageous guys used store-bought AR-15s.

But I bow to your superior knowledge and experience in (checks Endless Sphere forum conversations for last several years) everything.

The new Rockhopper XXL will take some getting used to:

It fits me much better than my other bike, but my, um, stance is quite different: I'm leaning forward much more than before. I suppose that's actually a more correct way to ride, but again I'm not used to it.

I'm also not used to riding without a motor after two years with my TSDZ2 conversion! I just rode to work this morning on the Rockhopper and it was surprisingly strenuous, considering there are very few inclines along the route. It's only about three miles, and with the TSDZ2 it took about 12 minutes (same as with a car). Today it took 15 minutes. I guess that's not much of a difference,* but boy it sure felt slow.

[youtube]mRdDrccccoI[/youtube]

The Rockhopper isn't ideal for commuting anyway, as it's a mountainbike and geared pretty low compared to my old Giant Sedona.

I'm going to ride this unmotorized for a while, I think, for improved cardio and leg muscles development, though the TSDZ2 bike could make me huff and puff as well, especially in a strong wind.

* When I first converted my other bike, my 7½ mile commute at that time went from 45 minutes to 30 minutes!

simonov said:
The new Rockhopper XXL will take some getting used to:

It fits me much better than my other bike, but my, um, stance is quite different: I'm leaning forward much more than before. I suppose that's actually a more correct way to ride, but again I'm not used to it.

You can replace the handlebars with more swept back bars that have a bit of rise to them. That will put you in a more upright position. Check out the Jones SG 2.5 bars. I have them and like them. I have dropbar bikes as well, but as I get older, that gets less and less comfortable. There is no more correct way to ride. Ride the way you like.

25sghbaronSWBcloseupofbar__42927.1534449616.JPG

Install a riser bar. And don't put the handlebar sweep straight up in the air like that.

Any US bike shop, and many online retailers, can get you this one:
https://www.jbi.bike/site/product_details.php?part_number=33707
33707.jpg

You'll probably need longer cables if you get enough additional rise to bother with.

Thank you for the suggestions.

I bought the bike from a small local retailer run by a guy as big as me, and I'm supposed to take the bike back in within a couple months anyway. If I'm still uncomfortable with the handlebar arrangement after a week or two, I'll definitely make a change.

Quinc said:
Get a Sur-ron.

Have you not seen one before? They're for dwarves and children.

Chalo said:
Quinc said:
Get a Sur-ron.

Have you not seen one before? They're for dwarves and children.

I have one with every mod on it. It does awesome with me 6' 240lbs. Even sold my CR250 I like it so much. My neighbor is 6'5 260 rides a stock one and jumps the piss out of his. My only complaint is the short wheelbase makes the steeper hills much more difficult.
[youtube]ivG-yOOF-Og[/youtube]

Reason I say Sur-ron is it will be a lot more fun and dirt bike"ish" for the OP's riding area compared to a regular mtb frame style ebike.

267940298_611423210109924_8123864122338203198_n.jpg

Back