Puffy lipos

ebike11

1 MW
Hi all
In your opinion is it worth strapping or using heavy duty zipties (which would be a slimmer/space saving preference) to keep lipo packs tight to avoid puffing? The packs are new, purchased early and late last year. They are freely mounted in a rack bag and frame
I am using the larger 20Ah 6S hobbyking packs and the reason I like them is they are easy to connect in series and their size gives me the flexibility to mount them in different areas. I have an EEB frame and cannot mount on a rear rack.
I also plan to use a high current Fardriver controller so Im taking that into consideration.
Thanks!.

This might be a question better put to the RC forums but my answer is yes, I do compress my LiPoly.
Years ago, when I rode my Lipoly hard and "put it up wet", I did have a couple of cells "puff-up" and started to tightly wrap my bricks with Gorilla tape. The general consensus around here was that by not allowing the cells to expand would afford a little more protection when handling them roughly.
Since that time, I am much more "kinder and gentler" to my "babies" and it would be hard for me to say if this technique is useful or not, but the last time I bought new stuff, I went ahead and wrapped them. It takes little time and costs almost nothing, so why not? And it does offer a little extra protection if I drop one.
It seems to me Depth Of Dis-charge and storage level are way more important and I expect them to die of old age. But then again, they may out-live me.

motomech said:
This might be a question better put to the RC forums but my answer is yes, I do compress my LiPoly.
Years ago, when I rode my Lipoly hard and "put it up wet", I did have a couple of cells "puff-up" and started to tightly wrap my bricks with Gorilla tape. The general consensus around here was that by not allowing the cells to expand would afford a little more protection when handling them roughly.
Since that time, I am much more "kinder and gentler" to my "babies" and it would be hard for me to say if this technique is useful or not, but the last time I bought new stuff, I went ahead and wrapped them. It takes little time and costs almost nothing, so why not? And it does offer a little extra protection if I drop one.
It seems to me Depth Of Dis-charge and storage level are way more important and I expect them to die of old age. But then again, they may out-live me.

I see.
But if the tape or wrap prevents expansion, where would that pressure be released to??

Puffy Lipos are telling you they need to be replaced - soon! Trying to compress them to their original size, or even something close, is a recipe for disaster. And for your own safety, don't even think about releasing the pressure causing them to bulge.

If I remember correctly, exposing the Lipo internals to air can/will cause them to ignite. So if you are forced to give that a try (which I think is a REALLY bad idea), at the very least, make sure you are outside. Preferably next to a bucket of water you can drop the battery into.

What causes Lipos to puff up? Crappy maintenance habits and/or abusive discharge. Examples might be storing for weeks at 100% charge, too high a charge rate, over discharge/running until it shuts down, placing huge loads that it wasn't designed for, etc.....

Back