PAS too speedy.

ynot

100 W
Well there is a growing number of geezers like SWMBO and I who are getting into ebikes for the exercise and ability to go farther than on a clockwork bike.
SWMBO on her brand new Daymak (forget any help there) Xmas trike and I on my stone age iron, brushed motor, non programable, rear hub bike, both find that using PAS in any gear gets the trike or bike going too fast for us.
On the bike the slowest is 18KPH which on a trail is often too fast for me, I often turn off the rear hub and just use the throttle and the front hub. (no PAS installed) .
I almost never ride the trike but she finds that 10 KPH +/- is her speed, she disables PAS but pedals almost constantly while using the throttle.
Is there a cure, or is the disease endemic because all you young hotshots wanna go faster???

Adjustable assist levels. If your controller doesn't have that, you could replace the controller with one that does or possibly install a CycleAnalyst to add that functionality. He talks about setting assist levels at about 5:30 in this video.

[youtube]Y0xp937xS6Q[/youtube]

The "best" cure, assuming your controller doesn't require PAS operation to work, and can work from just a throttle input, is to use the Cycle Analyst v3 to take the PAS sensor input (either the existing one or a new one if required) to determine pedal cadence, and then create a throttle output to run the controller from that. I use this function to run my SB Cruiser trike so taht the faster I pedal the faster it goes, up to the 20mph limit I set in the CA to obey the local laws. (I also use the 3-preset function with a 3-position switch from Grin Tech to have a 5mph and 10mph limit as well, for use in parking lots or multi-use paths where maneuvering space can be limited and the actions of those around me unpredictable).

You can also use the CA to pass the throttle signal thru to the controller, either unchanged or limited to ensure it doesn't exceed a certain speed, or a certain acceleration amount, or total power, etc.

As far as why the PAS on most systems works the way it does, well, the main problem is those manufacturers that simply don't care how the systems are used, just how easy it is to copy previously-designed systems and methods because it's cheaper than developing and testing fully-usable ones. ;)

ynot said:
Well there is a growing number of geezers like SWMBO and I who are getting into ebikes for the exercise and ability to go farther than on a clockwork bike.
SWMBO on her brand new Daymak (forget any help there) Xmas trike and I on my stone age iron, brushed motor, non programable, rear hub bike, both find that using PAS in any gear gets the trike or bike going too fast for us.
On the bike the slowest is 18KPH which on a trail is often too fast for me, I often turn off the rear hub and just use the throttle and the front hub. (no PAS installed) .
I almost never ride the trike but she finds that 10 KPH +/- is her speed, she disables PAS but pedals almost constantly while using the throttle.
Is there a cure, or is the disease endemic because all you young hotshots wanna go faster???

As our bikes are DIY. I've settled on KT controllers with an LCD3 or better. I can dial the current down to about 70 watts on PAS-1, which should slow me down to 8mph, whereas default setting produce about 140W with a 25A controller on 48V. About the same price as a Cycle Analyst for display/controller shipped.

ynot said:

You could use a resistor or two, plus a potentiometer to make an adjustable voltage divider, between the throttle's 5V and ground. Then use a pushbutton switch to connect it in parallel with the throttle signal line. Set it so it provides around 80 watts or so when you push the button, or dial in more power with the pot if needed. If she has brake cutoff switches, you could use a toggle switch instead of push button.

docw009 said:
As our bikes are DIY. I've settled on KT controllers with an LCD3 or better. I can dial the current down to about 70 watts on PAS-1, which should slow me down to 8mph, whereas default setting produce about 140W with a 25A controller on 48V. About the same price as a Cycle Analyst for display/controller shipped.

I like and have used several KT LCD3 displays. They have about 20 adjustable functionshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0F6x8V0NZQ&t=153s that most people aren't aware of so you can dial them down and costing around $30 https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...6&SearchText=kt+lcd3&spm=a2g0o.home.1000002.0 is economical for those that don't like the price of a Cycle Analyst.

E-HP said:
ynot said:
she disables PAS but pedals almost constantly while using the throttle.

You could use a resistor or two, plus a potentiometer to make an adjustable voltage divider, between the throttle's 5V and ground. Then use a pushbutton switch to connect it in parallel with the throttle signal line. Set it so it provides around 80 watts or so when you push the button, or dial in more power with the pot if needed. If she has brake cutoff switches, you could use a toggle switch instead of push button.
Thanks E-HP
Would that work on the PAS to help it stop speeding up?, could you put a resistor on the PAS signal line? That is where our problem is. I could see a resistor for use on the flat with a toggle switch bypass for the hills.
Limiting the throttle would be a great idea for a kids bike, right now we put the grandkids on our bike pillion seats, because they cannot pedal the distance.

Diggs said:
docw009 said:

I like and have used several KT LCD3 displays. They have about 20 adjustable functionshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0F6x8V0NZQ&t=153s that most people aren't aware of so you can dial them down and costing around $30 https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...6&SearchText=kt+lcd3&spm=a2g0o.home.1000002.0 is economical for those that don't like the price of a Cycle Analyst.

Am using 3 KT LCD3 displays now, one on the front wheel of my bike, and two others on the front wheels of my tadpole freighter trike, have been quite happy with them, still gotta get round to programming the two on the trike, they think we are going about 8 times faster than we are, 75KPH or so.

ynot said:
E-HP said:
ynot said:
she disables PAS but pedals almost constantly while using the throttle.

Thanks E-HP
Would that work on the PAS to help it stop speeding up?, could you put a resistor on the PAS signal line? That is where our problem is. I could see a resistor for use on the flat with a toggle switch bypass for the hills.
Limiting the throttle would be a great idea for a kids bike, right now we put the grandkids on our bike pillion seats, because they cannot pedal the distance.

That's where the programming of the BBS02 and BBHSD come in. I custom program the BBHSD for cruise control. My favorite speed/cadence is 15 mph. I've programmed the controller to add power if the speed drops below that (like going up a hill) and cut back/off power at speeds above 15 mph (like going down the backside of the hill). I just pedal and the BBHSD adds and takes away assist/power automatically based on the wind and hills. I don't even have to think about it. I don't know of other displays/controllers that allow customization like this.

ynot said:
E-HP said:
Would that work on the PAS to help it stop speeding up?, could you put a resistor on the PAS signal line?
No, you can't put a resistor on the PAS signal. The splitter idea is to provide a low level of throttle instead of PAS. If you are using the LCD3, you can adjust C5 for lower power.

Back