far driver nd72800 vs nd72850

gobi

10 kW
I see the 72800 listed on QS website but not on Fardriver website.

Far driver lists a 72850 unit.

Other than the Phase Amps/Batt Amps, are there any differences between the 2?
New rev vs old rev?

Yeah I’ve noticed some discrepancy between a few different sellers for these far drivers. I’m not sure if they’re not labeling The output correctly or maybe there’s different versions made by different manufacturers. I know there’s a seller on AliExpress I've purchased from and he has the far drivers as well but the specs are slightly different from the ones that QS sells, even though it’s the same so-called model number.

I would just message each seller and ask them.

I I will reach out the Fardriver for differences,

The nd72800 is definitely an older version, I found it in fardriver's old pdf listed.
Fardriver's website now lists the NEWer nd72850 controller.

https://www.far-driver.com/wp-content/uploads/Fardriver-controller-Manual.pdf

Model | Maximum BUS Current | Maximum Phase Current |Operating Voltage
Size | Weight | Max. Voltage

72800 220A 800A 48V~72V
189mm*121mm*63.5mm | 2.0kg | 88V

nd72800 does 800A/220A

While
nd72850 does 850A/450A

How is nd72800 able to output such high phase amps with so little battery amps?

I have the nd72800, you can set 430a battery and 800a phase in the settings.
With qs138 90h it pulls ~400a, no problem with added heatsink and small pc fan.
Only issue is that I had to reduce phase amps to 730a, otherwise it goes into overcurrent protection.

LiTrEx said:
I have the nd72800, you can set 430a battery and 800a phase in the settings.
With qs138 90h it pulls ~400a, no problem with added heatsink and small pc fan.
Only issue is that I had to reduce phase amps to 730a, otherwise it goes into overcurrent protection.

Do you have pics of your heat sinks on the motor with the fans?

How’s the throttle response with the far driver? On/off or can you modulate smoothly with the throttle?

I may get a far driver for my current build. Seems like the best option.

gobi said:

New rev vs old rev?

Oh and what are you considering this controller for, what build? These are still new controllers but it seems like it’s the best option especially for the programming part versus ASI

No, sorry, no pics of the controller but it is just a standard aluminium heatsink bolted to the controller with some heat transfer agent in between and a pc fan on top.
Works wellin the fairly closed compartment of the former air filter, before it overheated and reduced power after a couple of kilometres.

Throttle response is ok and can be setup quite fine using different ramp up speeds and throttle curves.
After all you have to find a working compromise, I am using it in an Enduro Bike where I need snappy response off-road but still want to ride easily on the road.

Eastwood said:
gobi said:

New rev vs old rev?

Oh and what are you considering this controller for, what build? These are still new controllers but it seems like it’s the best option especially for the programming part versus ASI

Most likely for my stealth build,
I have a nd72530

The nd72800 an addition, I have 2 QS 212 35H 5T now, and in the process of picking up a QS 205 50H (can't justify the shipping costs),

I hear you Far-drivers being new kidz on the block, and their regen braking is either on or off from what I have read (is this accurate?)
I would really like if I could vary the amount of regen braking via a thumb throttle thing. My daughter's scooter has that feature [very impressed by that]

I need to work on my batt next :)

gobi said:
Most likely for my stealth build,
I have a nd72530

The nd72800 an addition, I have 2 QS 212 35H 5T now, and in the process of picking up a QS 205 50H (can't justify the shipping costs),

I hear you Far-drivers being new kidz on the block, and their regen braking is either on or off from what I have read (is this accurate?)
I would really like if I could vary the amount of regen braking via a thumb throttle thing. My daughter's scooter has that feature [very impressed by that]

I need to work on my batt next :)

Did you consider the Sabvoton for your Enduro frame? I know that controller catches a lot of criticism because it’s not the original maker anymore. I’ve had nothing but excellent results from these controllers and it’ll give you the throttle regen, if you go with the 72200 unlocked version. 250 DC amps 550 phase amps but you could go more than that for short periods – is what the seller recommends without worrying blowing the controller.

Oh and are you trying to push 850 phase amps to the QS205? If so it’s too much. The 550 phase gets it nice and hot lol

I would buy another sabvoton for my Rmz build if they made A more powerful version. Actually I probably will be using this controller at first for testing purposes for the Suzuki Rmz.

Eastwood said:
Did you consider the Sabvoton for your Enduro frame? I know that controller catches a lot of criticism because it’s not the original maker anymore. I’ve had nothing but excellent results from these controllers and it’ll give you the throttle regen, if you go with the 72200 unlocked version. 250 DC amps 550 phase amps

Oh and are you trying to push 850 phase amps to the QS205? If so it’s too much. The 550 phase gets it nice and hot lol

I would buy another sabvoton for my Rmz build if they made A more powerful version. Actually I probably will be using this controller at first for testing purposes for the Suzuki Rmz.

I was considering the higher amp FarDriver controller as it was priced the same as the other one I have.

No, I did not, I did not know you could get them UNLOCKED, nice,
you have to buy the unlocked version?

Yes, that is the regen feature I am think I want.
Can you post a link to the unit you bought pls?
I found a lower unit with the word UNLOCKED on aliexpress,
SVMC 72150 V1
so this one is for a mid drive 60 deg motor? can it be switch in software to 120 deg motor?

I don't I will run more than 200A battery amp burst ever,
maybe if ever get a reverse trike :)

Eastwood said:
Sabvoton 72200 unlocked
US $346.00
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKHNPYK

Good question about the controller compatibility mid-drive versus hub motor I’m really not sure, maybe someone else can chime in to answer that question.

Danke!
For half the cost, I can pick up the lower unit

sabvoton 72150 unlocked,
I will get one of these and play with this, I am sure this will suffice my needs,

gobi said:
Eastwood said:
Sabvoton 72200 unlocked
US $346.00
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKHNPYK

Good question about the controller compatibility mid-drive versus hub motor I’m really not sure, maybe someone else can chime in to answer that question.

Danke!
For half the cost, I can pick up the lower unit

sabvoton 72150 unlocked,
I will get one of these and play with this, I am sure this will suffice my needs,

The 72150 doesn’t have throttle regen. Nor does it have a three speed switch. The 150 version is more like a regular E bike controller with pedal assist and a display.

You said it’s half the cost? Who is the manufacturer of the one you’re referring to? There’s not that much of a price difference between the 150 and 200 unlocked versions unless you’re buying a different manufactured Sabvoton.

Both of my Sabvoton 72150 have throttle regen and 3-speed switch.
They also have a motorcycle version. :wink:

From what I see, I should be able to set the regen braking settings with a regular unit, I am not sure if I really need an unlocked version.

I am going to reach out to the manufacturer and ask them to compare unlocked vs locked.

I have this fkin dilemma too. I talked to FD and the 72800 is discontinued. I was deliberating between these two too...now if you look at it the 850 is an altogether different beast it has larger casw and 36 Fets and only 50 amps more. I think they crossed the line with the 800. 800 amps is way too much from a 30 FET controller the sab 200 is max 600A unlocked the votl 200 is max 660. So this 800 seems overboard a bit. Maybe somewhere around 700 is realistic so no wonder it's discontinued. However if it was just simply amps then they could have just dialled it down and rename it to 72700. So i suspect there was other problems with it too. Or who knows...Anyway i love the compactness of the 72800 i dont really know if i need the 850 for the 138 90H for a 200 kg bike incl me...The 72800 is still available on ali but not from FD...The 800 is just too small a controller for such power is what i suspect this compactness/power ratio is almost silixcon category with carbide fets 800 just seems too powerful for such small controller with regular fets. But used at 700A it might be good i dont know if i need more than that frankly i have no experience how it will pull. But also who knows if it has other problems too after all discontinuing and chucking out the 30 fet model from their supply is not a small thing it's gotta be more than just being overpowered a bit. Theres about 130 dollar difference for me but it isnt just the money not that i lack space too much but a smaller controller is not a bad thing...

Sattva Ram said:
I have this fkin dilemma too. I talked to FD and the 72800 is discontinued. I was deliberating between these two too...now if you look at it the 850 is an altogether different beast it has larger casw and 36 Fets and only 50 amps more. I think they crossed the line with the 800. 800 amps is way too much from a 30 FET controller the sab 200 is max 600A unlocked the votl 200 is max 660. So this 800 seems overboard a bit. Maybe somewhere around 700 is realistic so no wonder it's discontinued. However if it was just simply amps then they could have just dialled it down and rename it to 72700. So i suspect there was other problems with it too. Or who knows...Anyway i love the compactness of the 72800 i dont really know if i need the 850 for the 138 90H for a 200 kg bike incl me...The 72800 is still available on ali but not from FD...The 800 is just too small a controller for such power is what i suspect this compactness/power ratio is almost silixcon category with carbide fets 800 just seems too powerful for such small controller with regular fets. But used at 700A it might be good i dont know if i need more than that frankly i have no experience how it will pull. But also who knows if it has other problems too after all discontinuing and chucking out the 30 fet model from their supply is not a small thing it's gotta be more than just being overpowered a bit. Theres about 130 dollar difference for me but it isnt just the money not that i lack space too much but a smaller controller is not a bad thing...

Sattva,
Danke, just the info I was looking for,
36 mosfet vs 30,

I am not going anywhere near that the max, not even half probably right now. Someday I was to build a reverse trike.

Yes, I am 200 lb ( on a good day) and my bike will be probably around 80 lbs.

I appreciate you educating us. Maybe far driver will post schematics of their internals someday.

I received my 72800 today in the mail, the price was attractive on ali.

Yes ali has the best price for sure. Alas they just raised the price by 30 dollars...80 lbs bike is very small probably even the 800 is an overshoot and the 530 would have sufficed or even the 330 depending on motor and battery. My battery alone will be
100 lbs. 😋 I'll definitely go with 850 tho i just dont want the 800 to bite the dust under me. Let's just hope that the 800 has no reliability issue.

I'm also building a bicycle with qs 165 that is similar to yours with 360 18650 maybe it will be 100 pounds altogether with fast charger. I go with 530 with that...

Sattva Ram said:
Yes ali has the best price for sure. Alas they just raised the price by 30 dollars...80 lbs bike is very small probably even the 800 is an overshoot and the 530 would have sufficed or even the 330 depending on motor and battery. My battery alone will be
100 lbs. 😋 I'll definitely go with 850 tho i just dont want the 800 to bite the dust under me. Let's just hope that the 800 has no reliability issue.

I'm also building a bicycle with qs 165 that is similar to yours with 360 18650 maybe it will be 100 pounds altogether with fast charger. I go with 530 with that...

Sattva,
100 lb battery? wow, pic pls,

The controllers have a good interface to set the max amps, so I am guessing (have not used it yet) that I can set the amps to my needs and skills.

It will go underneath very good COG one of a kind. Luckily the rs50 doesnt have rear suspension linkage being in the way. I get to weld the box soon.

I went with the 800 in the meanwhile. I couldnt resist the price...

Attachments

• 20220927_153504.jpg
    20220927_153504.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 998
  • 20220927_153455.jpg
    20220927_153455.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 998
Hello I have a new fardriver 84530 with qs 138 90h. I wasn’t able to complete the auto learn.I started with a potentiometer throttle without resistors I think may have caused an issue. it would rev up and go to 0 rpm while steady on the throttle. I have now tried 2 hall throttles one does the same as the pot throttle the other revs to around 4K and doesn’t stop spinning. First I was getting hall sensor error then throttle error now it says mosfet high side error. I’m hoping it’s not blown up. Has anyone had a similar issue? Any ideas

SumoSamurai said:
Hello I have a new fardriver 84530 with qs 138 90h. I wasn’t able to complete the auto learn.I started with a potentiometer throttle without resistors I think may have caused an issue. it would rev up and go to 0 rpm while steady on the throttle. I have now tried 2 hall throttles one does the same as the pot throttle the other revs to around 4K and doesn’t stop spinning. First I was getting hall sensor error then throttle error now it says mosfet high side error. I’m hoping it’s not blown up. Has anyone had a similar issue? Any ideas

Not sure if you have your question already answered, I am sorry I did not see this till now.

You will get more eyes on your question if you start a new thread on this.
maybe get a new throttle? or try a different one?

Back