Just scored a 20 yo Giant Lafree Twist Lite

No battery or charger, missing rear brake shoes and the SRAM 3-speed hub shifter held on with a zip tie - the seller wanted £200, I offered 100, arguing that, besides having to source battery and charger, I had no way of even knowing if the motor worked. We settled on 120.

Somebody had helpfully soldered wires onto the battery mounting plate, which I partially-disassembled to ascertain which was the positive and connected first a 12V Lead-acid car starter pack which lit a red LED on the controller pad, and then, with some trepidation, 2 jump starters wired in series for 24V - actually a metered 25.2V following which, expecting little, I was excited to find the motor wanting to pull when I leaned on the pedals!

Next test was connecting a Giant Twist Express 26V Li-ion pack (4/5th depleted and metered at 25.3V) resulting in no smoke so I duct-taped it to the rear carrier and went for a test ride.

IMG_20220807_154412.jpg

Apparently A to B mag rated this one of the best bikes they had tested back in the day and I can see why - a really comfortable ride and the motor pulls wonderfully - result! This will be a worthy restoration project. Next task is to wire together a 7S 4P 18650 pack for it, or whatever I can get to fit in the empty battery compartment behind the seat post.

https://www.atob.org.uk/giant-lafree-comfort/#:~:text=We%20first%20saw%20the%20Giant,'%20Why%3F

Attachments

• IMG_20220807_154419.jpg
    IMG_20220807_154419.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 301
Get two old shoe boxes and mwake a box that fits . What battery connectors are there ? Just the two wires ? I see a key switch. You have a key ?

999zip999 said:
Get two old shoe boxes and mwake a box that fits . What battery connectors are there ? Just the two wires ? I see a key switch. You have a key ?
Just 2 battery connectors. My one didn't come with a key - no biggie, I'll find some way of securing the new battery to the frame.

999zip999 said:
Always or Always use a multi meter to Know always
It's not always black and red.....

Indeed. I also unscrewed the battery mounting plate on the bike which had helpful "+" and "-" signs next to the respective terminals, albeit on the underside.

Back