I agree with Dick the Butcher

LewTwo

1 MW
Parents file lawsuit against e-bike company after daughter's death
https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Family/parents-file-lawsuit-bike-company-daughters-death/story?id=88002829

And yet no lawsuit against the person who was riding the bike and caused the crash. Strange. Almost as if it's all about money.

Tragic story for sure.

It would be hard to blame the bike or helmet without knowing the full picture.
Certainly don't want to be victim blaming either.
But ...
Adult supervision ?
Helmet worn correctly ?
It's a motor vehicle, did the children receive any training ?
Who reads the manual ?
The parents surely should have. Foolish thing to say in a public interview.

A saying the instructor said on the first day in High School metal shop.
Man + machine + motion = mayhem.
Meaning ?
Everything with power requires safety training.

Tragic story for sure.

Did the front wheel came off due to some design defect or somethign? What *actually* happened?

Dick did have the steps in his plan in the right order! What do you think he would make of our modern world, where the highways are lined with billboards: "Injured or Maimed?? Get the $$$ you deserve!! Only pay when we win! Call 1-800-BottomFeeder."

I am sorry for the child and her family, but I'm also more than a bit skeptical that poor design of the bike, or of the documentation, was the root cause of the accident.

I've seen a troublesome trend in the last few years. Used to be that you saw few e-bikes, most of them were hand-built by garage engineering geeks, and the riders generally showed at least some good sense in how they rode.

Recently I've seen a huge proliferation in e-bikes. That would seem like a good thing, but ... the riders. Oh man, the riders. I'm going to generalize shamelessly here, but lately I see so many e-bike riders who clearly haven't ridden any bike in years ... or are zooming at crazy speed on the sidewalk ... or riding the wrong direction on a public road ... or crossing the highway between intersections ... or turning in front of traffic ... the list goes on.

PaPaSteve said:
Who reads the manual ? The parents surely should have. Foolish thing to say in a public interview.

This is almost certainly going to a jury trial, if it doesn't settle before. The case, give what was mentioned, clearly has no merit.

But that doesn't mean they will lose. Building a case on emotions and then filtering a jury that is susceptible to being emotionally swayed is a legitimate strategy that wins cases.

Just took a minute to look up "Dick the Butcher" in Wikipedia.
A literary term from Shakespearean times.

"Let's kill all the lawyers" is a line from William Shakespeare's Henry VI, Part 2, Act IV, Scene 2. The full quote is: "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers".[1] It is among Shakespeare's most famous lines,[2] as well as one of his most controversial.[3]

" " Shakespeare may be making a joke when the character "Dick The Butcher" suggests one of the ways the band of pretenders to the throne can improve the country is to kill all the lawyers. Dick is a rough character like the other henchmen, a killer as evil as his name implies, and this is his rough solution to his perceived societal problem.

The line has been interpreted in different ways: criticism of how lawyers maintain the privilege of the wealthy and powerful; implicit praise of how lawyers stand in the way of violent mobs; and criticism of bureaucracy and perversions of the rule of law. " "

Now ... I understand the reference.
Well done sir.

BalorNG said:
Did the front wheel came off due to some design defect or somethign? What *actually* happened?
Two girls were riding a bike. They went down a steep hill. The girl 'driving' freaked out and they fell. The girl on the back of the bike hit her head.

Can't see how this would be any different with any bike in the world.

JackFlorey said:
BalorNG said:
Two girls were riding a bike. They went down a steep hill. The girl 'driving' freaked out and they fell. The girl on the back of the bike hit her head.

Can't see how this would be any different with any bike in the world.

Yea, I once hit 70 kmh down a very steep hill, bike most e-bike motors would either provide zero assistance at this point or outright hinder you. If I crashed at this point, I would likely have died, but than I run a higher risk of death by being run over a texting driver while doing 25 kmh.

Meritless case, but it will settle out of court cheaper than a jury trial. Seemed like operator mistake to me. Very sad it was fatal of course, but not the bikes fault. Different story if the fork actually broke and the wheel fell off. That has happened to a few bikes, usually not fatal. E bike or not, same designs.

The only design flaw I can see, is the rear deck makes a second passenger a possibility. Then a typical bike frame can get high speed wobble at fairly low speeds, like 30 mph. The brakes should have been more than capable of keeping the speed low enough.

Obviously a tragedy of unimaginable proportions. However, IMO, individuals are shamelessly suing to use their daughter's death for financial gain. I hope Rad fights this fiercely (other OEM's would do well to help shoulder the financial cost) or there's going to be a tsunami of lawsuits. Otherwise, lawyers will treat this as a new, viable area to farm. It's possible we could have a new "lawn dart".

There's an age limit for riding ae-bikes and you're not ever supposed to be riding double. I do you see kids on the handlebars and another kid on the rear then the kids sit in front of you I have seen four children on Little Rad Wagon.
Do you let her take out your bothers chopper. The parents need to say no don't do that. You need to be over 16 by law.
A mother and her two children were riding on the bike trail crashed the children survived she passed away her husband was next to her on his e-bike riding by himself. These things happen.

Makes proper sense who the target of the lawsuit is.

No one wants to lose tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars, upfront in cash to prove a point. A useless monetary judgement.
If your rich go right ahead - No lawyer would lift a finger without payment and then the game begins.

The easy lay-up is the logical choice. Obviously, zero upfront cash, just a bigger % to the lawyer is all.

999zip999 - These guys know how to play the game. Does not matter if the hurt party was in the wrong a little or a lot.
$ will be paid in time (yrs), how much and how soon is the game. First offers the low-ball, fuckoffbumoffer. If you can hold out, in the end it helps out your bank account balance. Like retirement, hold out long and you get more free money that you paid in to. Dive out early of retrirement and you get much much less free, for the taking cash.

calab said:
These guys know how to play the game. Does not matter if the hurt party was in the wrong a little or a lot.
That is why we have "lawyers lips" on bicycle forks and warning labels on ladders not to set them in frozen manure. Dick was correct.

Back