10 Pin Waterproof Connector?

jleval

100 µW
Hello All,
I have an aostirmotor 750w ebike. It has a sw9000 display. I am having to change the controller, but I have a problem. One of the connectors is a 10pin waterproof connection. I can't seem to find this anywhere. I guess my question is, am I counting it wrong. Anyone k ow where I can find a controller that matches this? If not, any suggestions. As always, all help is greatly appreciated.
Please see attachedScreenshot_20220926_221529_Gallery.jpg

Picture is too blurry to see it very well, and too close to see the rest of the connector. But it looks something like the 10-pin version of the Higo Z812
shown below in the 9-pin version.
https://ebikes.ca/learn/connectors.html
https://ebikes.ca/pub/media/wysiwyg/Connectors/WP8_Z812_Plugs.jpg
WP8_Z812_Plugs[1].jpg

A google image search for "10 pin hubmotor plug" finds another possibility in an extension cable, but it doesn't say the connector name.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0050/0475/5062/products/20191114153606_580x.jpg?v=1573717336
https://motowoks.com/products/10-pin-signal-waterproof-connector-for-ebike-1
20191114153606_580x[1].jpg

If necessary, if that cable is the same connector as yours, you could get a controller that has the wrong connector but supports all the right functions to run your bike, and all the right signals for the motor, and cut the incompatible connector off, then cut that extension cable so you can use part of it's cable plus it's controller-end connector to splice to the new controller's cable (or solder directly to the PCB of the controller).

But some things you'll need to know, or find out, to pick an appropriate controller:

What pins are actually used in that connector? All of them, or only 8, or 9?

And which way are they wired? Meaning, if it's for the motor, which three are the phase wire connectors, and what are the other 7? 5 are probably hall sensors, three signals plus 5v and ground. 1 may be a separate speed sensor, or thermal sensor, and the other could be the other one, best guess. But which pin is actually which signal...that is important, since if it is not wired teh same between motor and controller, it will not only not work, it may damage either or both the motor and controller.

Same thing for if it is for the display / throttle / PAS / ebrake signals. And if it *is* for those, the new controller will need to be the same kind (model / brand) to be reasonably certain it will be compatible with your display. Otherwise you need to get a kit that includes a new compatible display with the controller.

It's unlikely that you already know how it's wired, but you may have to do some tests to find out before you connect it to any new controller. The good news is you do not have to open the motor, display, etc., to find out--the old controller can be opened up and continuity tested to it's end of the connector to find out which pin is which.

Wow, thanks for the response, I will take all of the advice into consideration. I was thinking that perhaps upgrading, with a newer motor kit might be the best option. I see so many controllers and the wiring just looks completely different. Perhaps I may just buy the controller, display pair. Right now my bike, which I replied upon for transportation to and from work is apart in my work area. I got about 3500 miles out of it in a year and a half.

Thank you everyone!

The molded waterproof cables that go to the motor harness are usually 9 pins. This heavier model is often used for 750W motors. The connector is too large to go thru a 12mm axle nut or washer. The smaller motors, and some "750" watt units use a smaller diameter round connector. It will slip thru your 12mm washer/nut. When buying a controller for your motor, this cable needs to be right.

Z91.jpg

Meanwhile, the other waterproof connector is the one that goes to the handlebar harness for throttle, display, and brakes. Red brake connectors are two pin. Yellow brake connectors are three pin. The main connector is usually 8 pin or 9 pin. I'm thinking that 10 pin cable is the one that connects to your handlebar harness,and its got extra pins and maybe an extra plug on the other end to support lights

IT-cable.jpg

You can't buy an arbitrary controller and expect it to work with the SW9000, You almost have to buy the display/controller as a matched pair, at which point you might as well get the harness too, and make sure the motor cable is the same. You probably need the heavier motor connector,

Used to be, prior to Covid, you could buy a controller, display, throttle, brakes, PAS sensor for $100-175 USD, Basically the whole electronics for an ebike, and paying a marked up price to a middleman. Shows how cheap this stuff actually is, but when buyinmg them ala carte. it gets expensive.

Much appreciated, thank you so much, yeah,I was wanting to get the controller, display pair, but the as it stands, I think one of my sensors internal sensors went out. I've seen all the work involved in taking one of those motors apart, and I dread it, but, I guess it can be a winter project.

Thanks everyone

Back