Post the ebike law in your area. Here is Florida

Briefly, up to 20 mph is legal as of 2020. New ebikes must have a label that it complies with FL law.
with constant pedal assist 28 mph is fine.(no hand throttle allowed). motor has to cut out at 28. i guess you can go faster as it is then human only powered. you just get tired :lol:
Sidewalks are fine if the local law permits it.
More details https://www.gelchlaw.com/blog/cycling-law/florida-law-for-e-bikes-electric-bicycles
contains link to actual 25 page law.
and as a bonus, here are 17 vacation places to ride an ebike in FL.
https://www.smalltownbikeco.com/blogs/news/places-to-ride-in-florida#:~:text=However%2C%20riding%20on%20the%20beach,main%20stretch%20of%20the%20road.

For an overview of USA State Laws the People For Bikes organization keeps a updated guide : https://www.peopleforbikes.org/electric-bikes/state-laws .

I honestly dont know the rules for NYC.

I just dont ride like a jerk to make the cops want to stop me.

i see Hawaii charges a $30 annual ebike registration fee. :roll:
post anything you see to make this more interesting :bigthumb:

Matt Gruber said:
But with constant pedal assist 28 mph is fine.(no hand throttle allowed)

The way I read it, that isn't strictly true - the "no hand throttle allowed" part.

I see that the legislation requires the operator to pedal, for the motor to work, but nowhere does it say there can't be a throttle. That might be kind of a fine point, but maybe not. More than a few electric bicycles come with a throttle, and also the "pedal assist" control that will allow them to satisfy the "only when pedaling" clauses. To strictly comply with the Florida version, one could remove the throttle - or allow the throttle to serve as designed, as long as there's a signal from the pedal control. I'd opt for the latter, given the choice. (Though I'd probably be dissatisfied anyway, because it would probably work poorly from a full stop.)

Most annoying thing is a new ebike has to have a label that it complies with FL law. :roll:
Who knew that?
I watched a good review of a Engwe from Poland. Well made, good price around $1k. BUT now i would have to ask if it has the label. 750 w. BUT does the FL law say under 750w? So it has to be 749 w?
Say with no label a cop stops me. Probably a huge fine, maybe it gets confiscated :roll:
There is an ebike shop 2 miles from me. Someday i will stop by and have a look at labels too :roll:

I'm in Fla. and my bike with kit can reach 30 mph without pedaling. I don't usually go that fast. So I have a class 3 type vehicle which is like a gas moped or more. Class 1 is 20 mph or less. I do have personal and car bodily insurance as well as a drivers license but no bike registration. How do you go about registering? Generally, ebikes are legally allowed on bike trails unless there is a posted ban on all bikes. Some trail signs say no motor vehicles along with center post to block cars. I interpret that as applying to gas powered cars and cycles.

If you register it, then you need a MC license. I'd have to take a course in Daytona for $250. Then go to DMV and pay for a MC license. You might get more done by going 20-28 and avoiding a mc license. :D

I have a smaller controller that keeps it just under 28 mph. Cars can go much faster than 65, so the burden is on drivers to stay close to the posted limits. Seems unrealistic to require a mc license for something that can't go on I-95 or Turnpike.

Realism is not what it's about. Legislators know nothing about it, and they're trying to satisfy a constituency who knows nothing about it except that electric bicycles are a dangerous kamikaze faction getting ready to invade their neighborhoods. "People for Bikes" is an industry lobbying organization, despite the name, who just want a consistent regulatory environment to sell their stuff in. Bicycle organizations in general find electric bicycles morally questionable, and this rubs off in things like the insistence on pedal controls vs. throttle. No one in this picture cares what electric bicycles might be good for.

I'm not getting an MC license to ride on trails and neighborhood streets. I merely cross big streets. I agree that lobbying plays a part
and the results are often unreasonable. Still police hardly care in my community as long as you seem practical. Of course, they might chase down someone going 35 or 40 but not 20 to 30.

RTLSHIP said:
Seems unrealistic to require a mc license for something that can't go on I-95 or Turnpike.

Where I live, a motorcycle has to be 150cc to be freeway legal. Motorcycles under 150cc still require a license though.

Matt Gruber said:
BUT now i would have to ask if it has the label. 750 w. BUT does the FL law say under 750w? So it has to be 749 w?
Yeah, what about that? Why not make an official-looking label that reads "Certified 749.999999999999 Watts?" How could they argue with that?

And what's up with the 28 MPH max speed? Is that measured with a crosswind? Headwind? Tailwind? Slight uphill? Downhill? Barely inflated tires? Dragging brakes? In a "lab?" I regularly get going up to ~44 MPH down Wahoo Hill, not pedaling, no assist, depending on weather conditions and entry speed.

Florida said:
(c) "Class 3 electric bicycle" means an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and that ceases to provide assistance when the electric bicycle reaches the speed of 28 miles per hour.

It isn't a 28mph speed limit, you just can't get any more help from the motor at that speed.

For me, they could just forget all the rest of the rules and use this one. Who cares how strong my motor is, or whether I make pedaling motions? Motor vehicles have a ton of regulations - a handful for lights, for example - but it's news to me if any rule limits motor power, it isn't a sensible issue.

if the government really wanted citizens to use less energy, they would limit cars to 28 mph, and let ebikes go the speed limit. :bigthumb:
:lol:

They'll let you go the speed limit. You just have to get a motorcycle endorsement, and an "ebike" that's been through the qualifying process for motor vehicle requirements like lights, etc. And stay off the multi-use paths.

Like i told the judge, i don't want to ride in traffic, i want to ride on the bike path, away from cars.
I'll gladly follow the laws on the path. Post the path speed limit, that is fine with me. Why is this baffling to city planners?
Do you want the country to use less energy or not :?:
If the politicians really want change, they have to make it easy. 25 pages of rules for FL is way too much. How about just 1 sentence. say "ebikes are now legal and unregulated, but the rider is responsible for his/her actions" That should get the ball rolling. Then add amendments to clarify, as cases work thru the courts.

donn said:
They'll let you go the speed limit. You just have to get a motorcycle endorsement, and an "ebike" that's been through the qualifying process for motor vehicle requirements like lights, etc. And stay off the multi-use paths.

There is a big gray area between e-bikes and electric motorbikes.
Here (Alberta) the bike has to have pedal assist, maxing out at 30 km/hr, 500 watts, and no throttle, to be considered an ebike.
So far I haven't seen any enforcement anywhere, and the only places they seem concerned about are parks. Banff national park allows ebikes on paved roads and a couple of back country fire roads. Trails are off limits.Jasper however allows ebikes on any trails that bicycles are allowed on -must be so designated. Provincial park trails do not allow ebikes unless specifically permitted. All other trails, outside a park are fair game.
I predict the hodge podge of conflicting rules are going to cause a big mess in the near future. But at this point nobody seems to care too much, except for the greeny wilderness groups, who hate ebikes and keep lobbying for more restrictions.

Matt Gruber said:
"... but the rider is responsible for his/her actions"

"Responsible" ... there's the rub. That's always been a tough concept for a lot of cyclists, and these days I wouldn't expect things to change for the better real soon.

Colorado adopted California ebike rules. Unfortunately I decided to also buy an 8kw bomber clone with motorcycle tires and upgraded brakes. It has everything needed to be licensed as a MC except a VIN. The inspector saw the pedals and said it looks too much like a bike. Am pursuing another route but until then it is a "class 4 :) " ebike and the fine will be $25 if I get busted. Commuting will be illegal but if I don't attract attention or get into an accident, it will probably be OK. They are trying to figure out what do about the high power ebike/emotos here but it will take some time. If it can be registered as an off road motorcycle then it will be OK to drive on the roads outside of town at 35mph or less. I would also like to be able to legally ride in the lane at the speed of traffic for my commute.

If you are safe and responsible / respectful even considerate, then the laws as written are irrelevant in most jurisdictions, up to whether or not the local plod actually enforce anything.

If you are a dangerous eBike terrorist, I hope they throw the book at you, confiscate the bike, get you off the roads - no matter what the written laws say.

the way i see it, the laws were rewritten to get the local police off our backs. :bigthumb:
they liked to give tickets for riding an illegal motorized vehicle. :roll:

most places in the usa, if you are not in a car or truck, you stick out. :roll:

Back