Helmet Camera, or Onboard Camera

Lowell

100 kW
Quick test around the neighborhood, top speed 78km/h.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-1512423087922596611

Pix are good. Mic could use more muff.

:)

Foam is good. I'd use at least 18mm thick, open cell polyfoam. Think how thick muffs are for motorcycle headsets.

Mics for those knucklehead weather-reporters like Cantori use muffs 26mm thick or more.

TylerDurden said:
Pix are good. Mic could use more muff.

:)

we could all use some more muff TD :lol:

cheers

D

a 26mm muff sounds excessive to me, i dont think i'd hot glue that.
what you need is a muff that is not too bushy but performs superbly - there must be a site that sells good muff?

cheers

D

some forethought and work would ease the way into the muff but i still think hot gluing is best avoided, you dont want to end up with a sticky muff, it will dry hard and then the muff will be unmanageable.

cheers

D

deecanio said:
some forethought and work would ease the way into the muff but i still think hot gluing is best avoided, you dont want to end up with a sticky muff, it will dry hard and then the muff will be unmanageable.

This conversation is going south fast. :lol:

Hehe, I see that the joke works over the water too, I thought it may be one of those brit only jokes :lol:

hehe good call Xy,

i have one the "action cams but the noise is terrible - worse than lowells to be fair - i have the oregon scientific straight to card cam, the picture is ok but the vids when it was mounted to the bars were far too jerky, almost phone quality, the chest cam might work better off road :)
it's okish but i think you could do better Y as its a year or two old now.
i'll take the next vid with sony 5mp camera, its a still camera primarily but its video quality is pretty good and the sound is great (filmed by someone else,haven't tried mounted on me yet)

cheers

D

Ypedal said:
On a more serious note, Lowell, what's the camera make and model ? i'm in the market for one soon

Casio EX-Z77, the one with the stupid 'YouTube capture mode' sticker on the front.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SC-X300L-Camcorder-Optical-External/dp/B000MAORM0

I've been eyeballing this one at the local " Future Shop " or Best Buy in the US.. comes with a belt mount for the unit, and an external cam for helmet mount etc..

so many options it's rediculous these days..

I realize that most of you have spent many hundreds, if not, thousands of dollars on your ebike projects, but have some of you considered, shunting some of that extra amperage to purchasing a helmet camera?

For one thing, the camera could protect you legally, more so than not having it on. It could be used to record some of your interesting rides.

And for those of you overvolters, and overampers, it could be a last video for your surviving loved ones, and for that reason, they may allow you to purchase such a camera.
I was thinking of two. One for the helmet, and one for the seat post facing backwards to catch vehicles behind you.

I was looking at the VHoldR Contour HD. Anyone have experience with it? The GoPro Hero doesn't cut it, it works terribly at night, and has very poor resolution.

I just purchased 2 small video cams from Amazon to mount on the roll bar on my Safety Delta E-Trike. I plan to use the Creative Vado HD ($99.99) aimed forward and the Oregon Scientific Model AT18 ($59.99) aimed rearward. I may be able to use a mirror to get side shots at the same time. I may have to use high performance LED lights to get good video at night. I plan to test the cameras within the next several weeks. I will check the range at which they can record the license plate numbers of approacing and passing vehicles. The Creative Vado arrived with a defective cover for the battery that would not close properly. Amazon was easy to work with and they shipped me a complete new camera within two days. The Vado had a protective rubber sleeve in the box which I placed on the camera. The Oregon Scientific video cam is water proofup to 3 meters.

I appreciate the comments from Nutsandvolts. I would like to use a netbook computer with solid state memory as the dashboard display and data acq system on my E-Trike. I want to record and display voltages from individual cells, motor and controller temps, grade, amps, etc. I would like to display the rear camera on the netbook screen. I want it to also control the release of drop down side and rear impact crash bars if a vechicle gets within 1 meter of the E-Trike. I may have to remove the keyboard and locate it in a different area on the trike in order to package the display in an optimal viewing location.

Don Gerhardt

I mounted a rear light to my helmet using two sided tape and velcro.

It worked excelent, so I think the next project will use this attachment system to mount my helmet-cam.

Thanks for the prompt 8) .

This is what I was looking at, it records at 720p, which would be good for getting licence plates.
opplanet-vholdr-contour-hd-camcorder-on-helmet.jpg

opplanet-vholdr-contour-hd-camcorder.jpg

Back