What kind of helmet do you use?

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
Lock   10 GW

10 GW

Re: What kind of helmet do you use?

Post by Lock » Dec 01 2010 6:20pm

It's nice to see the mainstream starting to cater to ebikers, but I chuckle to see Uvex marketing their new "Discovery" helmet as particularly suited to ebikers... without actualling saying watt features it has exactly that are ebike friendly...:

Seen here (in German):
http://fahrrad.velototal.de/home-fahrra ... ity-1.html

LocK

(no, I don't wear a helmet...yet.)
If you like this message feel free to donate BeerCoins (BTC) to:
1LxAXWmbjY6SeMf8r9HHhSKt6pWyPvWg6L

Toronto Electric Riders Association:
http://www.ebikeriders.com/
Canada, eh?

oldpiper   1 kW

1 kW

Post by oldpiper » Dec 01 2010 8:29pm

geekybiker wrote:[T]here is almost zero correlation between helmet cost and safety. These days a more spendy helmet (with a given catagory) will buy you more comfort, features, and flash.... just not more safety.
With the caveat that if a helmet is more comfortable for you, the inner shell probably fits your head more closely (unless you are using "comfortable" to mean that the weight of a bike helmet feels better to you than that of a motorcycle helmet), and will give more even protection to all areas, not putting undue pressure on the point(s) it first comes in contact with. For that reason, IMHO, comfort (i.e., fit) is (almost) everything. That's why I purchased my $69 Bell helmet after passing by many of the $200 helmets, because they really don't fit my (cheap) head as well.

Cameron
Schwinn StingRay OCC XL, front AmpedBikes DD hubmotor, 37V, 10 Ah Lipo

"If it jams-force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you."

aaronski   1 kW

1 kW

Post by aaronski » Dec 01 2010 9:30pm

Since parenthood is now iminent, I've upgraded to this guy:

http://www.rockgardn.com/items/helmets/ ... htm?menu=2
it's the only mtb helmet I've found which is DOT and ECE certified. but I do look pretty dumb using it.

I've also added body armor under my jacket for spine and chest protection, you can't tell I'm wearing it and and it feels safer, don't know if it is though...
Wow I've been here 7 years! had a kid and took a break. Back on a Vector Ebike just for fun.
Broken bike and electric bits everywhere. Sometimes it's a bike and I ride it.
Broken too much crap. pulled 3kw from a 350 watt ebike kit motor, pulled 100c out of HK lipo. much melted wire and plastic. Amazed at the progress this group has made in ebiking.

hydro-one   10 kW

10 kW

Post by hydro-one » Dec 01 2010 10:00pm

mace , bit my tounge a few times going down hard on concrete, head still seems fyne.......

I wear it-- every time-- with chin strap tight. plus it hides my headphones and makes me seem more legitimate at the speeds im travelling. plus i like the ninja look. around a hundred bucks. happy customer!
M0HLXN0M2_zoom.jpg
M0HLXN0M2_zoom.jpg (67.21 KiB) Viewed 633 times
mike

oh deadly for the blizzards weve been getting with some ski goggles!!!
Pro ebiker
28s hk lipo
3ooA kelly/cromotor 17"
sana cruz bullit

MadRhino   100 GW

100 GW

Post by MadRhino » Dec 02 2010 5:29am

I have to admit that I don't wear a helmet most of the time. I have a downhill specific helmet, but even in the mountain, I wear it only when I'm gonna try at crazy jumps and race with the kids.

Once, when I was coming from a mountain trail and landed very fast on the first paved street, then had to brake real hard at the trafic light, by the side of a street bike waiting on the corner, the guy stared at me and said: You should wear a helmet. I looked at him and his baby that he had fitted tight in a baby seat on his bike, so I answered: And you should wear a condom. :mrgreen:
Make it fool-proof, and I will make a better fool.
Current bikes
Street: https://s20.postimg.org/ewrvugywt/Session_04_2015.jpg
Dirt: https://s20.postimg.org/lbqwr55ml/IMG_0157.jpg

Rifle   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Rifle » Dec 02 2010 5:48am

When I bought my new helmet I went with a DOT approved skull cap, cuz I noticed one online for $20. But I have a big head and boy is that thing big. Main reason I bought it is I'm technically a moped here and helmets are required, so this way I can be completely legal if I feel like it. I probably going to look for a skater helmet too though, so I have some intermediate ground between hot-air-balloon-head and naked.
2807 9c front hub. 48v 20ah Ping. 12s2p Lipo.

voicecoils   10 MW

10 MW

Post by voicecoils » Dec 02 2010 6:00am

I'm into Lazer helmets at the moment & am wearing one of these with the built in lights at the moment, comfy with handy visor for for the sun and good protection at the back of your head:

And I find their ads amusing:

Kingfish   10 GW

10 GW
Location: Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Milky Way. Age: > yesterday < tomorrow

Re: what kind of helmets do you guys wear?

Post by Kingfish » Dec 03 2010 2:25pm

After much introspection and searching I have concluded that the perfect helmet does not exist at any reasonable price under the sun. With Old Man Winter knocking at the door I have scaled back and regrouped around the primary goals:
  • Better protection over bicycle helmet
  • Integrated flip visor
  • Good quality chin strap and associated materials
  • Removable liner for washing
  • Relatively light weight
  • Street-legal DOT rating
Having gone full-circle and back again I settled on one last candidate: AGV Blade.

The local H-D store had one in stock on the first round when I stopped in for a fitting, but having nearly set on purchase it was then I learned about plastic verses fiberglass; that which spun me up on a renewed pursuit like Percival in search of the Holy Grail. Much was gleaned in the process. :?

The H-D AGV Blade version is only available in Black. Though I desire greatly to have some H-D equipment on board, visibility has priority over vanity: I ordered the AGV Blade Solid White from Amazon.

Interestingly enough there are possibly two versions available:
The description at Amazon for the one on the top-left sporting the extra flip-down shield is barren of detail relative of the AGV OEM whereas the Amazon top-2nd is without the extra screen. Not sure that I care either way about the shield except that I do want the fully stated details in writing for legal and warrantee reasons.

I’m curious if anyone else uses this helmet and what they think. A review will be submitted as soon as it arrives – which is about a week out.

Anticipated, KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports
* Primary ride: 2WD Disc 9C 2806-equiv / Dual Lyen 12FET / 20S7P LiPo.
* Epics: Going to California: 2011 8)
* 50-mph, 101, 10k-Club. 12,527 miles-to-date, 7037 as 2WD.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed.
The hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

Gordo   100 kW

100 kW

Post by Gordo » Dec 03 2010 11:50pm

There is a lot I don't understand about helmets, but this is what I was wearing in my last 40 mph head on with a car.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... cle+helmet

I own a bunch of $100 helmets that I used to wear for snowmobile and slow speed bike trail riding. HJC and others. I don't think I would have survived my last crash with any of them. Just luck I was wearing the Arai, that day.
X-treme 3KW Scooter...OFF ROAD ONLY....Giant 1KW 48V 24" Hubmotor....E-Apex 1KW 48V 26" Hubmotor, built 2012-05-26
Thanks Justin, for saving ES. May Grin Tech grow and prosper.

oldpiper   1 kW

1 kW

Post by oldpiper » Dec 08 2010 6:04pm

chekola wrote:and there was me thinking most helmets only came in 2 or 3 colours ..

che
It's not that helmets only come in 2 or 3 colo(u)rs, it's that there are only 2 or 3 colors that look halfway decent.

You're not going to see me in canary yellow, manic pink, orange tulips, candy-cane red, or "day of the dead" yuck. But, then again, I'm boring (just ask my kids :wink: ).

Kingfish   10 GW

10 GW
Location: Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Milky Way. Age: > yesterday < tomorrow

Post by Kingfish » Dec 27 2010 7:20pm

Finally settled in and made a purchase on December 1st, but took me a bit of time to get around to writing it up: Review is here. :)

Cheers and holly holidaze, KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

Gordo   100 kW

100 kW

Post by Gordo » Dec 27 2010 7:44pm

Kingfish wrote:Finally settled in and made a purchase on December 1st, but took me a bit of time to get around to writing it up: Review is here. :)

Cheers and holly holidaze, KF
Everything we do is a compromise but that helmet looks like an excellent choice.
Having survived being hit by a car, I don't agree with the assumption that you are toast. As long as the head survives and the neck does not get broken, the rest has an amazing ability to heal. A little relaxation and meditation to chase the pain into a corner and you are ready for the next disaster.
X-treme 3KW Scooter...OFF ROAD ONLY....Giant 1KW 48V 24" Hubmotor....E-Apex 1KW 48V 26" Hubmotor, built 2012-05-26
Thanks Justin, for saving ES. May Grin Tech grow and prosper.

fizzit   10 kW

10 kW

Post by fizzit » Dec 27 2010 7:46pm

I was gonna buy a helmet used but then I kinda splurged and bought one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2674wt_939

-Colin

Kingfish   10 GW

10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Dec 27 2010 9:44pm

fizzit wrote:I was gonna buy a helmet used but then I kinda splurged and bought one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2674wt_939

You paid $20 for a helmet? :shock:
:?: KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports

fizzit   10 kW

10 kW

Post by fizzit » Dec 27 2010 10:11pm

Yep. But it's made by Bell, as far as I know, a reliable brand, and it's tested by the DOT, so while it doesn't have any frills, I believe should work about as well as a more expensive helmet. Plus it originally sold for $100 or so. $20 isn't the msrp :P
-Colin

yopappamon   10 kW

10 kW

Post by yopappamon » Dec 27 2010 10:17pm

oldpiper   1 kW

1 kW

Post by oldpiper » Dec 27 2010 10:22pm

Kingfish wrote: You paid $20 for a helmet? :shock:
:?: KF
Must be an old model, IronBay doesn't have anything that looks or costs like it on their main website.

Cameron

fizzit   10 kW

10 kW

Post by fizzit » Jan 03 2011 7:50pm

Well I got the "$20 helmet" :D

It seems really nice. Not that I've owned a motorcycle helmet before. But it fits well, feels high quality, and seems like a pretty good deal. It weighs around 5 lbs. It's a model from 2005 I believe, and mine was manufactured in november 2007. So it's not that old. If anyone wants pictures, I can post them, but it looks pretty much like the picture in the above auction link. Nothing special.

BTW, who knew motorcycle helmets were so HUGE :shock:
-Colin

oldpiper   1 kW

1 kW

Post by oldpiper » Jan 04 2011 1:19am

fizzit wrote:Well I got the "$20 helmet" :D

It seems really nice. Not that I've owned a motorcycle helmet before. But it fits well, feels high quality, and seems like a pretty good deal. It weighs around 5 lbs. It's a model from 2005 I believe, and mine was manufactured in november 2007. So it's not that old. If anyone wants pictures, I can post them, but it looks pretty much like the picture in the above auction link. Nothing special.

BTW, who knew motorcycle helmets were so HUGE :shock:
Sorry, fizzit, I didn't mean to imply "not as good as what is out there now" old, just that someone must have gotten hold of last year's (or before) overstock so they could sell them at a good price. Fashion (and planned obsolescence) is everything, you know. 8)

Cameron

jmygann   100 kW

100 kW

Post by jmygann » Jan 04 2011 11:27pm

48 V Semi-recumbent

MikeFairbanks   100 kW

100 kW

Post by MikeFairbanks » Jan 10 2011 2:59pm

I have two helmets. One is a spandex biker helmet that I spray painted black to get rid of the metallic blue finish that looks like a bowling ball. But I try not to wear that.

What I normally wear is a skateboard helmet (pro-tec). I put a long and wide strip of velcro on it so that I can attach and detach a headlight and tail light. I have one of each permanently mounted to the bike, but I also have one that I can attach to the helmet. Pretty nerdy, but it works. Sometimes the bike headlight wants to look one way while I want to look a different way, so the combo works quite well.
Stay frosty

www.recumbents.com   10 kW

10 kW

Casco E.Motion ebike helmet

Post by www.recumbents.com » Apr 06 2011 1:07pm

Hi All,

I'm still looking for a quality ebike helmet. It should be lighter than a motorcycle helmet but still provide good head protection plus ear protection. Wind noise is just too loud at 30MPH and causes hearing damage.

I found this:
http://www.fahrradladen-berlin.de/CASCO ... black.html

Which looks cool and has ear protection but costs about $218 after shipping from Germany. I'm very tempted, but maybe a bit crazed as well. Before I pull the trigger, are there any other viable alternatives?

-Warren.
Last edited by www.recumbents.com on May 30 2011 7:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

gestalt   10 kW

10 kW

Re: Casco E.Motion ebike helmet - $218 - Am I crazy?

Post by gestalt » Apr 06 2011 1:14pm

I would look into snowboarding helmets, they are many times more protective than your standard bicycle helmet. Bern makes some great ones with removable ear covers and visors, cameras even.
- be seeing you