Which bike repair stand for e-bike heavy weights?

I don't know about the rest of you, but my e-bike with battery packs weighs in at about 85lbs. I did a search for "repair stand", but the results did not enlighten me as to what I want to know. I'm in the market for a good repair stand, one that will be stable, and that can handle the heavier weights of our e-bikes, say a max of 100lbs or so.

Anyone care to recommend their favorite stand to me? My only requirements are that it be very stable and able to fold up when not in use.

Thanks for any input you care to share.

spinningmagnets said:
Here's a recent thread about DIY bike stands. There's a lot of good ideas in there (with lots of pics) and you could upgrade a design you like, to be as beefy as you want...

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12303

Thanks! I'll study that thread and see if anything grabs my attention. But at this point, I'd really like something that's already made, if it exists.

Thanks voicecoils. It's not so much a problem for me to locate bike repair stands, it's just that I would like some feedback from actual e-bike owners who have purchased or at least used a particular stand that has proven to be able to handle the extreme weight of our bikes.

Not too many of the bike repair stands that are advertised list the max weight that they can handle. Of the few that do, the specs that they list have me wondering if the sales dept. is just exaggerating their figures some, you know?

No worries.

I can't really give you an exact answer, hopefully others will have some good input.

The stand I have is this one:
http://www.velogear.com.au/products/Maintainence_Bicycle_Repair_Stand_D6G-544-0.html
It can't handle the weight of a 30 kg ebike, it's simply not strong enough. It has load bearing plastic parts so I only use it for my pedal only bikes.

Something like this would be ideal for an ebike IMO:
gi%2010260%20%20%20d51c.jpg

http://www.velogear.com.au/products/Pro_Maintenance_Stand-712-0.html
The weight wouldn't really be an issue.

I understand your pain, I run a bike about the same weight.

This stand, an aluminium Nuvo, was bending at the legs when standing it. I cut the feet off just to the straight and enforced it with handle bar ends. The handle bars fir snug over the leg holders.

oct 2009 005.JPG

The steeL Nuvo's stands support plate kept bending and the aluminium Nuvo stand legs kept bending. I was caught in a conudrum, Bending legs vs bending stand plate.

The stand ended up so strong it broke the bikes stand plate on the bike.

stand1.jpg

The moral of the above story is when you make one part stronger you often need to make the attatched parts stronger too.

Even the pivot pin on the stand need replacing with a high tensil bolt and it needed the threads grinded flat leaving the end for the nut.

It was endless stress. Anything I did lasted only a few weeks or i was lucky to get a month. The handle bars fixed it good. Real good. :roll:

I still have the frame from that bike but dont want to use it for ebike and heavy SLA's.

voicecoils said:

Yes! I very much like this stand. Might be worth the shipping fees to have it delivered here in the US if I cannot find one local. Now the only issue remaining is how to hoist the bike up onto the stand.

Anyways, many thanks for that link, it's a winner!

The Journey Guy said:
Yes! I very much like this stand. Might be worth the shipping fees to have it delivered here in the US if I cannot find one local. Now the only issue remaining is how to hoist the bike up onto the stand.

No probs. They're made in Asia, I strongly suspect they'll be someone in the US selling a similarly imported stand. I just searched a site I'd bought stuff from before (velogear) but a bit of googling should help you find something similar locally.

adrian_sm said:
For something a bit different, how about instead of using a stand, use a handing system from the ceiling.

I checked several different versions of this concept, however, most of them stated that they would not handle the weight. In fact, I only found one system that even came close, but even that one said the max weight was 50lbs.

I realize that you said that maybe something like this could be altered, but I'm not sure what the "weak link" in the design would be. Would it be the mounting points on the ceiling, or maybe the strength of the rope, or maybe even the pulleys themselves. I'm just not sure where to "beef up" the thing. I could probably live with the swinging around a bit of things, up to a point.

adrian_sm said:
For something a bit different, how about instead of using a stand, use a handing system from the ceiling.

Might sway around a bit, but you could definitely build something that could take the 30kg+ load yourself.

Something like this:
http://www.velogear.com.au/products/Ceiling_Bike_Storage-706-0.html
gi%2010220%20%20%20d51b.jpg

I like this idea but with the car it would be a little anoying. If someone, anyone, needed to use the bike you would have to move the car. Which involves finding the keys.

I am so for shortening the list of things to do to get out the garage door for a ride.

Find helmet, bike light, charge light batteries, and winter time extends that list three fold with needed warmies, find keys, move car, lower bike, hoist bike move car back. All this would drive me crazy.

The Journey Guy said:
I checked several different versions of this concept, however, most of them stated that they would not handle the weight. In fact, I only found one system that even came close, but even that one said the max weight was 50lbs.

I realize that you said that maybe something like this could be altered, but I'm not sure what the "weak link" in the design would be. Would it be the mounting points on the ceiling, or maybe the strength of the rope, or maybe even the pulleys themselves. I'm just not sure where to "beef up" the thing. I could probably live with the swinging around a bit of things, up to a point.

The off-the-shelf versions are probably all plastic, and only design to lift a normal bike, so do away with the reduction. Hence the lighter load ratings.

I would go DIY. You can defintely buy pulleys, and rope that will easily take these loads, but would probably want to design it with a 2:1 or 3:1 reduction to make it easier to hoist up in the air. Then it is just a matter of securing the pulleys to you ceiling (I have exposed beam in my shed so would be fairly easy), and sorting out how it hooks on to you bike without damaging your seat or handlebars.

317537 said:
I like this idea but with the car it would be a little anoying. If someone, anyone, needed to use the bike you would have to move the car. Which involves finding the keys.

I am so for shortening the list of things to do to get out the garage door for a ride.

Find helmet, bike light, charge light batteries, and winter time extends that list three fold with needed warmies, find keys, move car, lower bike, hoist bike move car back. All this would drive me crazy.

Guess I was more thinking of using it as an alternative for a workstand, rather than permenent storage.

The Journey Guy said:
voicecoils said:

Think of a ramp and two diazes that hold you bike up by the pedals.

you know any normal side stand works just fine if your batteries are low centre of gravity. Those prop up stand i was using, they dont care where you put the batteries.

im using a side stand now for 6 mths. With no worries what-so-ever. Think for a bit, the higher the weight distribution the more leverage the weight has on the stand. just lowering where my batteries sit on my frame by 6 inches made a world of difference.

If you're in a spendy mood, you can get a motorcycle lift:

I would hack this one down a tad:
99887.gif

This one used to be available with "air-over", but even footpump is easy:
02792.gif

more here:
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=motorcycle+lift&Submit=Go

Let me state here that I don't recommend trying to clamp an aluminium frame securely against the weight of a battery laden ebike.

I think the best options are a bench or wall mount Park stand.
A friend set up his bicycle business with the wall mount clamp attached to a handy column in the shop.
Wall mount.
Bench mount.
Shipping will be less expensive than a fixed or folding stand and you've got the strongest clamp in the business.

I searched for this totally different type online and can't find it. Justin and other shops use little tuning stands.
It only lifts the rear wheel. It's pretty simple and can't be very expensive.
IIRC, it's two hooks under one chainstay welded to an upright that's attached to the point of a V piece that sits flat on the floor under the bike.
It looks like it's all made of 3/4" square rod. I'll ask him or Pol where they get them.

Another friend uses a display stand for tuning his bike.
It's a piece of round rod bent to fit over the down-tube and under the bottom bracket.
It has two legs and lifts the rear wheel.
I'd not think it sturdy enough for an ebike and there are definitely balance issues but it's a good design for a simple, cheap, stand.

My ghetto stand has been in service about ten years. It was inspired by a local Chinese bike shop's tuning stand.*
It's all made from garbage and cost me bupkis.
It's also heavily dependant on balancing the bike.
The position of the counter weight from an old fire door is crucial but it works for me.
ghetto_stand.jpg
file.php

ghetto_hang.jpg

Instructions for cobbling together a clamp from Vise-Grips or pipe clamps are easy to find.
It's always a matter of securing them to an immovable base.

Hanging the bike from joists with a block and tackle arrangement is probably best if it's too heavy to lift.
Look at yacht (sailboat) hardware for good blocks (pulleys). They're strong and come in several varieties.

*Said LBS does have a skookum looking work stand in the back shop.
I think of tuning stands as lighter service versions of true work stands. A tuning stand is all most of us needs for simple maintenance.

I'd use something that has ramps leading up to the part thats going to hold the bike. I don't see any bikes here with batteries installed or in a finished state. There much heavier. I just lay mine on the ground carefully when I work on it. Use junk piece of carpet.

I tip my trike on its side and work on old carpet too, but if I had extra space I might consider this:

http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=1251833562

Of course you still need the block and tackle to get the bike/trike up in the air.

otherDoc

99887.gif

Looks pretty involved.

I was thinking of using this.

646.jpg

Sorry, :oops:

If I gave you a choice for free which would you choose?

Never mind me I’m just kidding around. Nothing like either is free.

It just gets to the point with all the accessories and such it might be cheaper to buy a car. If I ran a bike shop business I might need this.

For all intensive purposes the stands you posted are very good and I could make good use of it.

I just like to see another side to how to do similar things for less cost, and do enjoy the ideas that involves consumers using their head and not their wallet.

317537 said:
If I gave you a choice for free which would you choose?

Never mind me I’m just kidding around. Nothing like either is free.

It just gets to the point with all the accessories and such it might be cheaper to buy a car. If I ran a bike shop business I might need this.

For all intensive purposes the stands you posted are very good and I could make good use of it.

I just like to see another side to how to do similar things for less cost, and do enjoy the ideas that involves consumers using their head and not their wallet.

This one is close to free (7 bucks) I actually do have one on my screen porch and use it when it cools down enuff to work outside in the daytime.
otherDoc

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45076

docnjoj said:
This one is close to free (7 bucks) I actually do have one on my screen porch and use it when it cools down enuff to work outside in the daytime.
otherDoc

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45076

Now that's a good value for the dollar! That would help to solve my "hoisting" problems. Thanks for the link.

Hey there,

If you have a Double-Arm Park Repair Stand, I created an 'air-lift' that converts it to be able to lift up to 250 pounds for about $30 of hardware.

I have not perfected the safety features and have launched the arm of my repair stand 2x (with no bikes in it thankfully).

The video is admittedly commercial and I will be producing a commercially available kit in the next few months. But if there some of you would like to make one of these, let me know - shoot I might even send you the parts if you help me test the safety features...

All the best,

Wake

Back