Copenhagen wheel

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
chessir   100 W

100 W

MIT Copenhagen project

Post by chessir » Jan 14 2009 11:08am

http://senseable.mit.edu/copencycle/index.html

Very interesting project started by MIT. The picture shows a front wheel regen hub which also contains the battery.
Any comments?
Attachments
biking2.jpg
front hub with motor and battery
biking2.jpg (4.78 KiB) Viewed 7577 times
bikeboy-silence is golden
ezip trailz dual24v10ah sla and/or ductape24v10ah lifepo4

mikefish   100 W

100 W

Copenhagen wheel

Post by mikefish » Dec 10 2009 4:06am

http://senseable.mit.edu/copenhagenwheel/

oh i want ot know the specs on this! :shock: :shock:

cant be too much power there. but it sure is slick as shit! works with the iPhone!?! vaaaaary cool! :D

can anyone find specs on it? I cant seem to find any!

voicecoils   10 MW

10 MW

Re: Copenhagen wheel

Post by voicecoils » Dec 10 2009 4:39am

It's a project by design students, not a product that actually exists.*

*Purely speculative statement

mikefish   100 W

100 W

Post by mikefish » Dec 10 2009 4:45am

oops! jumped the gun too soon!

I guess they got me! :oops:

voicecoils   10 MW

10 MW

Post by voicecoils » Dec 10 2009 5:14am

mikefish wrote:oops! jumped the gun too soon!

I guess they got me! :oops:
It's only my guess, but I smell photochopping and big dreams from the clever MIT kids :wink:

Tiberius   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Tiberius » Dec 10 2009 5:23am

I guess 4 of them would go on a bandwagon.

Nick

deardancer3   10 kW

10 kW

COPENHAGEN

Post by deardancer3 » Dec 14 2009 2:03pm

COPENHAGEN
A new product for developed countries promises to lower world wide carbon emissions, lessens dependence on petroleum, lowers impact on local roads, improves owner finances thru lower initial cost and operating costs, and improves user health.

At less than $2000 initial cost and less than $500 annual operations cost, the device can be easily used to commute to work and run household errands, and could save over 5000 car miles per year per household. Owners can perform most service tasks, more complex tasks can be performed by some service shops already in existence. Franchise opportunities available.

For more information, check out the informational website at http://endless-sphere.com/forums/index.php
Chain Drive Advocate

EMF   100 kW

100 kW
Location: Curious about The Bikers Bar? Become a member to visit!

MIT regenerative boost bike

Post by EMF » Dec 15 2009 7:53pm

Short on specifics, but a decent diagram and titillating article.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/15/scien ... 5bike.html

Official page? With video: http://senseable.mit.edu/copenhagenwheel/
The Senseable City Laboratory at M.I.T. has designed a wheel that captures the kinetic energy released when a rider brakes and saves it for when the rider needs a boost. While technically sound, the wheel’s true challenge may be in winning over cyclists. For centuries, bikes have been beloved for their simplicity, not their bells and whistles.

But, said Carlo Ratti, the laboratory’s director, “biking can become even more effective than what it was.” What the lab is working on, he said, is “Biking 2.0.”

The new wheel uses a kinetic energy recovery system, the same technology used by hybrid cars, like the Toyota Prius, to harvest otherwise wasted energy when a cyclist brakes or speeds down a hill. With that energy, it charges up a battery inside the wheel’s hub.

The sleek red hub, called the Copenhagen Wheel, was to be unveiled Tuesday morning in Copenhagen. It can be retrofitted to any bike’s rear wheel, and it includes sensors that track air quality, a meter that logs miles and a GPS unit to track routes. All that data can be sent via Bluetooth to a rider’s smartphone and shared with others.

The laboratory is trying to eliminate the clunkiness of other electric bikes with heavy batteries and unwieldy wires by placing all the technology into the wheel, said Christine Outram, the project’s lead researcher.

“It’s a technology that can get more people on bikes,” she said.
Attachments
ebike.jpg
Insides
ebike.jpg (77.34 KiB) Viewed 7690 times

TylerDurden   100 GW

100 GW

Re: MIT regenerative boost bike

Post by TylerDurden » Dec 15 2009 8:31pm

Have a Nice Day,

TD

FYI: Adding pictures?

Bored?... take a crack at the unanswered posts

Please post your Watts-at-speed in the survey.

Lock   10 GW

10 GW

Post by Lock » Dec 15 2009 8:37pm

OK... not a LOT of extra info there :)
Interesting they are talking batts and not caps... I'da thought caps more appropriate for this app ("large" inrush of energy) but perhaps any caps of significant capacity would still be too large to fit in a wheel?
tks
Lock
Last edited by Lock on Dec 15 2009 8:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you like this message feel free to donate BeerCoins (BTC) to:
1LxAXWmbjY6SeMf8r9HHhSKt6pWyPvWg6L

Toronto Electric Riders Association:
http://www.ebikeriders.com/
Canada, eh?

gestalt   10 kW

10 kW

Post by gestalt » Dec 15 2009 8:38pm

I like the design, simple and rugged...looking at least. I heard a rumor about this from an engineer friend of mine several months ago, glad to see it really materialized. It's great that they went with the road bike application of the wheel as well, I've always thought that a single speed road bike would be the perfect for a hub motor setup. I have a nice bladed aluminum road bike frame, made by a company called "GMC" no less that I have been keeping around for the sole reason of throwing a stealth hub motor battery combo on at some point in the future. Until then it will sit chained up in the alley where it will continue to not rust, god bless aluminum. I wonder if it would be possible to take an ordinary hub motor, put it on the back and then on the front have a battery/controller hub. Me thinks that might balance the bike nicely and take away also from the visual imbalance that take serious stealth points away from many ebikes.
- be seeing you

liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Dec 15 2009 10:04pm

Lock wrote:
OK... not a LOT of extra info there :)
Interesting they are talking batts and not caps... I'da thought caps more appropriate for this app ("large" inrush of energy) but perhaps any caps of significant capacity would still be too large to fit in a wheel?
tks
Lock
High energy ultra caps lack the ability to be charged as quickly as high C LiPo (volume for volume, or weight for weight). It also takes a wheel barrow full of them to equal the energy in a single LiPo pack you can slip in your pocket. There are some high-power designed ultracaps that can take charge faster, but they hold so little energy, it's hardly worth the effort.
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

Lock   10 GW

10 GW

Post by Lock » Dec 15 2009 11:06pm

Thank you Sir :)
If you like this message feel free to donate BeerCoins (BTC) to:
1LxAXWmbjY6SeMf8r9HHhSKt6pWyPvWg6L

Toronto Electric Riders Association:
http://www.ebikeriders.com/
Canada, eh?

Zoot Katz   1 MW

1 MW

The Copenhagen Wheel

Post by Zoot Katz » Dec 16 2009 4:21am

According to a NYT article.
"It’s a kinetic energy wheel that “captures the energy dissipated while cycling and braking and save it for when you need a bit of a boost.”

"What this means, is MIT has developed a bike that you ride around, it stores energy, and gives you a little boost when you need it to get up a hill or around town. The unit is controlled by your phone."

paultrafalgar   10 kW

10 kW

Re: The Copenhagen Wheel

Post by paultrafalgar » Dec 16 2009 4:35am

Hello, bicycle, or should that be stoker, could you make my pedaling a little more difficult for the next half mile because after that I feel a hill coming on, thanks.
:D
If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? Albert Einstein
A paranoid is someone who has SOME idea of what's going on. Allen Ginsberg(?)
If the greatest pleasure is giving, be selfish - give pleasure.

mclovin   100 W

100 W

Interesting Hub - copenhagen wheel

Post by mclovin » Dec 16 2009 4:53am

I don't know if this has been posted yet but ....a new take on a "mechanical" rear hub.

http://gizmodo.com/5427252/mit-ushers-i ... agen-wheel

Cheers

Zoot Katz   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Zoot Katz » Dec 16 2009 5:15am

hello, hello! HELLO.
Not the responsivness of a fixed wheel bike nor Hall throttle.
It may turn out to be the bleached-blonde of pie bikes.
There's a slick promo-type YouTube link (The Copenhagen Wheel Teaser) on Bikehugger.com

etard   1 MW

1 MW

Re: Interesting Hub - copenhagen wheel

Post by etard » Dec 16 2009 12:15pm

It's a cool idea and with high quality bearings I wonder how much losses the flywheel experiences in a minute (average wait for light?). I would be interested to know how much the rim weighs. There was a guy on YouTube that built a trike using a flywheel that wieghed alot if I recall correctly. I also wonder how you could use a very small electric motor to spin up the flywheel while at the light and then regenerate to a capacitor until the next light.
Four wheels moves the body, Two wheels moves the soul
Thanks to Justin @ http://www.ebike.ca He brings the soul to ES

gilnet   100 W

100 W

Post by gilnet » Dec 16 2009 1:45pm

CBS new did a story on it last nite.

vanilla ice   100 MW

100 MW

Post by vanilla ice » Dec 16 2009 2:01pm

I think the low adoption rate of regen braking among es ecyclists is as good a hint as any at the real world utility of this thang. Just make it a full disc wheel, hide half a kWh in there hush hush style.. recharge on the rollers at home. Then you would have something!

This guy from the article sums it up here..
"Regenerative braking hardware adds mass, complexity and cost, and the energy efficiency gains from it turn out to be surprisingly limited,” said William Mitchell, who runs a lab at M.I.T. called SmartCities, a research group devoted to improving urban energy efficiency through technology.

mclovin   100 W

100 W

Re: Interesting Hub - copenhagen wheel

Post by mclovin » Dec 16 2009 8:00pm

EDIT: After digging a bit more into this design I looks like it is in fact a "electric" hub that is powered soley by electrical energy stored from regen braking. Hmm. Interesting.

I wonder how well it performs? Having a flywheel sounds interesting but I wonder how much of a difference it makes from the rider's perspective. I mean, is it a boost or a BOOST? But it is a great idea to capture that wasted braking energy. I also wonder how the rider engages the flywheel when the start pedaling. I'm assuming it is some sort of automatic mechanical engagement.

Maybe this is a good alternative to regenrative braking for an ebike. What I've read hear is that regen-braking doesn't make a lot of sense for a ebike (costs to much for little energy payback). Perhaps this is just the ticket for a mid-drive based system. Motor mounted in the frame/botton bracket and mechanical regen hub in the rear (and front?). I don't think it could easily be done with a hub motor system. :mrgreen:

jsmay311   10 mW

10 mW

Post by jsmay311 » Dec 17 2009 12:59am

When I first read the stories about the "Copenhagen Wheel", I thought it was the same thing as the Greenwheel that MIT folks were working on, which could be plugged in and charged.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29259226/

Without external charging, this is the stupidest thing ever. Some of the iPhone stuff is kinda neat, but also besides the point.

The Greenwheel (from the above link) however, could be a good idea as long as they can pack it with enough batteries.

voicecoils   10 MW

10 MW

Post by voicecoils » Dec 17 2009 2:43am

copenhagen-wheel.jpg
copenhagen-wheel.jpg (77.43 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
I really didn't think the device actually existed (beyond some cad and photoshopping).

Looks like I was wrong.

The spokes are wacky
They are managing the lipo pouches with zip ties and sticky tape

The integrated torque arm is nice.

No recharging you say? WTF...

vanilla ice   100 MW

100 MW

Post by vanilla ice » Dec 17 2009 12:14pm

The no-plug thing must be a concession to all the hater purists.. Seems like they called it right too from all the press this thing is getting.

"OOOH it uses nothing but your own leg power? How neat! In that case its ok." :roll:

recumbent   100 kW

100 kW

Post by recumbent » Dec 17 2009 2:14pm

I like the way the spokes are integrated into the hub though.

Maybe the hub motor manufacturers can adopt this method if it works as good as it looks. No more broken spokes at the hub.
Ebike in use:
LWB Recumbent bike, Sram i-9 internal gears.
Power: 58V, 16 amp/hr, lipo batteries.
max speed: 52 km/h (30 mph),
max range: 40 km's, incl stop&go few times, minimal pedaling.
New build: Delta recumbent trike